Periods in namecoin domain names

pauline.hewitt

Periods in namecoin domain names

Post by pauline.hewitt »

The Namecoin client allows users to purchase domain names that contain a period character i.e. search.google.bit. Is this intended functionality? In addition will this domain resolve?
NA3QcdWRPAgarNXAkHNynWhcU7DtXMtwVu

domob

Re: Periods in namecoin domain names

Post by domob »

No, they are not valid: https://dot-bit.org/Namespace:Domain_names Only names as in ordinary DNS (basically, lower-case letters, digits and dashes plus IDN syntax) are valid for .bit. You can register whatever d/ name you like, but they won't resolve if invalid under the .bit rules.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

georgem

Post by georgem »

a period in a domain name is a subdomain.

From right to left, the first period marks the top-level-domain... followed by the domain name, and then the subdomain name... etc...

subdomain.domain.tld

tosh0

Post by tosh0 »

it's not standard and should not be allowed, as it would allow sub domain hijacking...
just registering the tld should be enought, you can the specify subdomains in the config or in your nameserver.
NMC: more stable than BTC!

Bitcoin

Post by Bitcoin »

So anyone can fuck around and basically register: login.chase.bit (for example)? Yea Chase owns d/chase.bit but some scammer registers d/login.chase.bit and scams all chases customers (for example)

Seems like a problem

domob

Post by domob »

Bitcoin wrote:So anyone can fuck around and basically register: login.chase.bit (for example)? Yea Chase owns d/chase.bit but some scammer registers d/login.chase.bit and scams all chases customers (for example)

Seems like a problem
No, that's exactly the reason why periods are not allowed. I have not checked it, but I expect that implementations (nmcontrol in this case) ignore names with periods and resolve login.chase.bit via d/chase only. If not, that's a serious bug and will/should be fixed.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

georgem

Post by georgem »

domob wrote:No, that's exactly the reason why periods are not allowed. I have not checked it, but I expect that implementations (nmcontrol in this case) ignore names with periods and resolve login.chase.bit via d/chase only. If not, that's a serious bug and will/should be fixed.
I just checked it.

I have bitdns.bit

It resolves all subdomains and prints them out on the screen.

I then went on and did a name_new for d/sub.bitdns and the namecoin daemon let's me register and update that name, although ofcourse it is not a valid name.

If you do a name_show on d/sub.bitdns you will see that it should point to a google IP. You should see google.com

But if you actually browse sub.bitdns.bit with meowbit or freespeechme then it still shows the same server like bitdns.bit.

So I can confirm that everything works as it should.

phelix

Post by phelix »

Seems like a good idea for all implementations to be checked for this issue.

Thanks to georgem it should be as simple as opening this link: http://sub.bitdns.bit (goes to google = fail)

If it does not go to Google it is still not safe to assume the implementation is secure... could be it only works sometimes.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

georgem

Post by georgem »

Very good.

I will keep this bitdomain alive indefinitely for testing purposes.

I agree that there can be many additional issues that should be adressed.