Namecoin: name_firstupdate stays unconfirmed

cassini

Re: Namecoin: name_firstupdate stays unconfirmed

Post by cassini »

khal wrote:Do you own the namecoin address of the name (N24z2xhDPPEeWvQZsuZ5VbiE7htLYDU83a) ?
psionin wrote:It says ismine=false for that address. Where do you see the address info for a name?
lol ... khal was talking about erikerikerik's case and not about psionin's case.
N24z2xhDPPEeWvQZsuZ5VbiE7htLYDU83a belongs to d/disk.

Now to psionin. Are you talking about d/belair? Then click on that link you posted before,
(http://explorer.dot-bit.org/n/123459)
and click the first "Transaction", this should get you to http://explorer.dot-bit.org/tx/2580892
There you'll find NEr5DtxSTq3UU25gMUdJCNNvvSVAWDCHTa for your OP_NAME_FIRSTUPDATE : d/belair
Thus,

Code: Select all

validateaddress NEr5DtxSTq3UU25gMUdJCNNvvSVAWDCHTa
should tell you ismine: yes.
psionin wrote:does it just release the name registration once the timer runs out? Can renewal be done before that?
Yes. If you own the name you can issue a name_update at any time before it expires. However, if you've settxfee to 0.000, the tx fee actually is 0.005 if you do this update too often. It costs 0.000 only if you do it a few weeks before the name expires.

snailbrain wrote:name_show <name>
I prefer name_history. It gives you a better idea what happened to the name in the past and how.

Google

Post by Google »

The same exact thing has happened to me. The domain expires in the time that would go along as if I had registered the names so idk. In the QT client they are stuck in "pending"

The: is mine: comes back "false". Maybe someone else tried registering these at the exact same time?

The names Im referring to are:

d/bitcoinworld
d/roads
d/localbitcoin

domob

Post by domob »

Google wrote:The same exact thing has happened to me. The domain expires in the time that would go along as if I had registered the names so idk. In the QT client they are stuck in "pending"

The: is mine: comes back "false". Maybe someone else tried registering these at the exact same time?

The names Im referring to are:

d/bitcoinworld
d/roads
d/localbitcoin
Yes, it may be that someone else registered them at the same time. Then it is of course a "race" who wins - note though that due to the "name_new" and then "name_firstupdate" thing, others can't "steal" your ideas. But they can come up with the same ideas, of course (especially if it is good names that just expired or something like that). It also happened to me already that someone registered a name between my name_new and name_firstupdate.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

phelix

Post by phelix »

domob wrote: Yes, it may be that someone else registered them at the same time. Then it is of course a "race" who wins
the likelihood of this happening so often is about zero
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

domob

Post by domob »

phelix wrote:
domob wrote: Yes, it may be that someone else registered them at the same time. Then it is of course a "race" who wins
It may be, but it may be higher for instance if a "good" name just expired. I think it definitely is possible, but yes, especially if you are not squatting general good names but instead register some name you just invented for your new website, it probably won't happen.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

psionin

Post by psionin »

snailbrain wrote:If you have any stuck transactions in your transaction list, you can just delete them in console window..

deletetransaction <tx#>
So then I deleted that stuck belair name.
cassini wrote:

Code: Select all

validateaddress NEr5DtxSTq3UU25gMUdJCNNvvSVAWDCHTa
should tell you ismine: yes.
It shows "ismine" : false. Don't know what it was prior to the tx delete.
cassini wrote:
snailbrain wrote:name_show <name>
I prefer name_history. It gives you a better idea what happened to the name in the past and how.
I get a message saying "failed to read from name DB (code -4)".
phelix wrote:
domob wrote:Yes, it may be that someone else registered them at the same time. Then it is of course a "race" who wins
Yeah, I think there's a bug somewhere.
cassini wrote:If you own the name you can issue a name_update at any time before it expires.
Cool, good to know.

Google

Post by Google »

I believe it is a big as well. Like I mentioned before the 3 names that this happened to. The exp on the names when I checked were like 35980 blocks until exp. When I registered the names It took me about 20 blocks to figure out the problem so I def knew it had to be me that reset the exp notice just not actually get the name.

Must be a bug.

I have registered 5,000 names and this has happened to 4 . Not bad but a bug I still say.