Namecoin : new hosting planned

indolering

Re: Namecoin : new hosting planned

Post by indolering »

Fuck.

It's not the NSA I worry about.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

indolering wrote:I think 2 public IP's should be plenty. We will probably be throwing everything behind an NGINX proxy anyway, right?
I thought about it too, but will this not cause problems or limit us with https ?
indolering wrote:Okay, I hate to post this but, are we sure we want to use UK based hosting?
You mean Cloudflare ?
indolering wrote:Fuck.

I read this story, strange way to intimidate someone. But if the bank closes the account, your service is broken for a moment.
indolering wrote:Let's just make sure our setup is agile enough to make that kind of a move.
That's the better we can do for now and it should be sufficient, and we can do it by making good backups of VM (crypted one could be sent to non-trusted users/host).
As proposed by someone, reserving an alternate TLD not under the US jurisdiction could also be considered.
Using social networks to communicate is also needed (from now, because they must be known in advance), it case the traditional channels are dead.
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

domob

Post by domob »

khal wrote:
indolering wrote:I think 2 public IP's should be plenty. We will probably be throwing everything behind an NGINX proxy anyway, right?
I thought about it too, but will this not cause problems or limit us with https ?
No, it does not. I thought the same when I set up nameid.org, but there's a somewhat recent feature called SNI (I think) that allows browsers to include the host name they want in clear text into the TLS handshake. That way, you can have certificates for different virtual hosts on the same IP and Apache is able to identify the correct one to use. It doesn't work with all software, but it did work with everything I tried out so far for my server (in particular, all modern browsers).

For .bit TLS with Convergence for Namecoin, this doesn't work in the same way; there no SNI certificate selection is done. It doesn't matter, though, as .bit TLS also doesn't care about the certificate's subject domain as long as the fingerprint matches the blockchain.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

indolering

Post by indolering »

khal wrote:
indolering wrote:Okay, I hate to post this but, are we sure we want to use UK based hosting?
You mean Cloudflare ?
No, I mean putting our primary servers in the UK. We know that the NSA is storing encrypted communications for later potential decryption. I doubt that GCHQ really cares about Namecoin data, but their laws are also very hostile (even worse than the US) towards their hosting companies.

I can use a VPN to get to Iceland or Switzerland or Sweden and then the packets going between the VPN and the server would be subject to lower levels of scrutiny.
khal wrote:
indolering wrote:Fuck.

I read this story, strange way to intimidate someone. But if the bank closes the account, your service is broken for a moment.
Yeah, it's scarily easy to pull such antics.

Speaking of which, you had mentioned that a non-EU resident would get a 20% discount because of the VAT tax. I have a solid American Express card (i.e. it will never be rejected) give me a billing account and we can put it on that.
khal wrote:
indolering wrote:Let's just make sure our setup is agile enough to make that kind of a move.
That's the better we can do for now and it should be sufficient, and we can do it by making good backups of VM (crypted one could be sent to non-trusted users/host).
Let's setup nighties to my Icelandic hosting at at least one more in another jurisdiction. Perhaps Mega?
khal wrote: As proposed by someone, reserving an alternate TLD not under the US jurisdiction could also be considered.
I own Namecoin.cc (Island country, heavily reliant upon Australia) and I just emailed the owners of Namecoin.is (Iceland). Bolivia, Venezuela, and Hong-Kong would be desirable as well.
khal wrote: Using social networks to communicate is also needed (from now, because they must be known in advance), it case the traditional channels are dead.
I will start a new forum thread on that.

icetor

Post by icetor »

Hello, I'm the owner of namecoin.is and nmc.is. While I have project's planned for both of these domains I could probably host a box you send here in Iceland. /me nods at indolering, hiya

indolering

Post by indolering »

icetor wrote:Hello, I'm the owner of namecoin.is and nmc.is. While I have project's planned for both of these domains I could probably host a box you send here in Iceland. /me nods at indolering, hiya
We may take you up on that for some slave build machines or the API : )

indolering

Post by indolering »

Khal, do you want to collaborate on a wiki post which outlines the server setup? We should at least get something written up describing whatever you have already built.

Also, should such a page be hidden?

namecoiner

Post by namecoiner »

CloudFlare:
NoScript add-on users have difficulties browsing the site which is using CloudFlare hosting.

domob

Post by domob »

namecoiner wrote:CloudFlare:
NoScript add-on users have difficulties browsing the site which is using CloudFlare hosting.
+1 I don't like CloudFlare for this reason among others (the main other reason being that we would hand them our TLS keys and be basically dependent on them, as far as I understand their system).
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

kurt

Post by kurt »

I will donate £20 per month

poor English builder