bind9 configuration for sharing a zone with ICANN TLD

micah

bind9 configuration for sharing a zone with ICANN TLD

Post by micah »

I've got a domain name that is currently registered with an ICANN-cabal approved registrar, that I am acting as the primary and secondary nameserver for. I registered the same name in the namecoin universe and I configured the .bit nameservers to point to my already existing nameservers so I could just serve up the same zone information for the .bit domain as I am with the original ICANN domain.

However, this didn't work out of the box, because my nameservers did not know about the .bit zone and needed to be configured to recognize and respond to it. This is how I did this.

First you need to update your namecoin name to map the nameservers to your nameservers. Lets say my original domain name was "foo.net" and I registered "foo.bit"

Code: Select all

../namecoind name_update d/foo '{"map":{"":{"ns":["YOUR.NAME.SERVER1","YOUR.NAMESERVER2"]}}}'
Then you must configure your bind's named.conf (or named.conf.local if you are using Debian or a Debian derived distro) to recognize the domain:

zone "foo.bit" in {
  type master;
  file "/etc/bind/primary/db.foo";
};
You should point the file directive to the zone file that "yourname.net" also points to.

Then you need to make sure that "db.yourname" is using RFC 1035 global SOA directive synthesis. In otherwords, if your SOA record says:

"foo.net   IN   SOA ...." 
then you want to change it to:

"@    IN   SOA ..."
(dont forget to bump the serial number, and restart bind!)

The @ will be substituted with an $ORIGIN synthesis based on the value of the zone name in the named.conf file.

Now foo.net subdomains and records will be resolved as they always were, and foo.bit will do the exact same thing. No need to manage two different files with the exact same content!
donate your spare namecoins: NJB5H1pPx9BTjaCVnuHK5T913KHspEP8CL

CoinMan

Re: bind9 configuration for sharing a zone with ICANN TLD

Post by CoinMan »

Cool, thanks for this Micah!
micah wrote:I've got a domain name that is currently registered with an ICANN-cabal approved registrar, that I am acting as the primary and secondary nameserver for. I registered the same name in the namecoin universe and I configured the .bit nameservers to point to my already existing nameservers so I could just serve up the same zone information for the .bit domain as I am with the original ICANN domain.

However, this didn't work out of the box, because my nameservers did not know about the .bit zone and needed to be configured to recognize and respond to it. This is how I did this.

First you need to update your namecoin name to map the nameservers to your nameservers. Lets say my original domain name was "foo.net" and I registered "foo.bit"

../namecoind name_update d/foo '{"map":{"":{"ns":["YOUR.NAME.SERVER1","YOUR.NAMESERVER2"]}}}'
Then you must configure your bind's named.conf (or named.conf.local if you are using Debian or a Debian derived distro) to recognize the domain:

zone "foo.bit" in {
  type master;
  file "/etc/bind/primary/db.foo";
};
You should point the file directive to the zone file that "yourname.net" also points to.

Then you need to make sure that "db.yourname" is using RFC 1035 global SOA directive synthesis. In otherwords, if your SOA record says:

"foo.net   IN   SOA ...." 
then you want to change it to:

"@    IN   SOA ..."
(dont forget to bump the serial number, and restart bind!)

The @ will be substituted with an $ORIGIN synthesis based on the value of the zone name in the named.conf file.

Now foo.net subdomains and records will be resolved as they always were, and foo.bit will do the exact same thing. No need to manage two different files with the exact same content!
My Bitcoin Identity
Bitcoin: 183DFFQXR4xCyseBXzmh3XWc22izDWE5Dw
Namecoin: NDUFizypxPYkFapaaogQp8A92PbL3HsxdA

watchpocket

Post by watchpocket »

I've got a domain name that is currently registered with an ICANN-cabal approved registrar, that I am acting as the primary and secondary nameserver for. I registered the same name in the namecoin universe and I configured the .bit nameservers to point to my already existing nameservers so I could just serve up the same zone information for the .bit domain as I am with the original ICANN domain.
I have a similar situation and did the same thing. The difference is that I myself do not run the nameservers. They're run on an ISP where I have a shell account and a basic web-hosting service that comes with the shell account.

I'm guessing that there's no way to get those nameservers (which I obviously have no direct access to) to be aware of the .bit zone short of persuading the admins at the ISP to make changes similar to what you've done to bind's named.conf.

But I'm curious to know if anyone thinks there is some other way to do this, or any other way to get my .bit name to point to my already established .net name. [Edit: NOT to the .net name, but to the .net SITE.] It's unlikely that my ISP would be willing to make the necessary changes.

(Using an "HTTP 301 redirect" from a .bit to a .net would, if I'm not mistaken, display the destination URL -- the dot-net -- in the location bar. That's not what I want.)

One other question: let's say I either get my ISP to make the necessary changes, or find a way to do this myself. Will a potential censor be able to interfere with such a setup (pointing a .bit to a .net) if it doesn't know where the .net is hosted?

Thoughts appreciated.
Last edited by watchpocket on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bitcoin: 1FRdmVXVpp9q9jgWZeiABzgwyxSBM4d6Um
Namecoin: NGEN5np3VvfVHSgbQnojem3U5sCEe5jgm7

doublec

Post by doublec »

I'm curious why you'd want to point your namecoin domain name to the existing DNS? Why not code the IP address into the namecoin domain value? This way you're protected from someone manipulating the DNS entry.

watchpocket

Post by watchpocket »

doublec wrote:I'm curious why you'd want to point your namecoin domain name to the existing DNS?
Because, I now realize, I was confusing my hosting ISP's DNS numbers with my website's IP address. I thought the NS numbers *were* my site's IP addresses. Wrong.

I'll do whatever works. All I know is that right now no one can see my site by going to my dot-bit domain.

I've got a dot-net site already up. I'd like that site to be seen by anyone entering myname.bit into their browser.

I don't run the server for the dot-net site and I can't make server config changes.
Why not code the IP address into the namecoin domain value? This way you're protected from someone manipulating the DNS entry.
(a) I didn't know I could do that; (b) not sure I know how to do it; and (c) now that I think about it, I may in fact have done that. Is this command along the lines of what your talking about? It's what I did.

namecoind name_firstupdate d/myname <rand> <tx> '{"map": {"": {"ns": ["198.7.0.1", "198.7.0.2"]} } }'
If not, then how, specifiically, does one "code the IP address into the domain value" and, more importantly, will it accomplish the goal?

Someone on IRC said what I needed was "forward DNS" by a third party, and referenced dnsmadeeasy.com but the how of that isn't too straightforward. Also, using a third party for another piece of the puzzle is more expense.

If the dot-bit project is to be at all popularized, this would seem to be an issue needing attention. Lots of folks wanting a dot-bit name will already have sites up, many of them, like mine, hosted remotely.
Last edited by watchpocket on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

Syntax with ns, compatible with future spec :

'{"dns":["198.7.0.1", "198.7.0.2"], "map":{"": {"ns": ["198.7.0.1", "198.7.0.2"]}}}'
(your name_firstupdate was valid so)
This one requires you to configure bind (corrently not working : "host watchpocket.bit 198.7.0.1" failed with "REFUSED") + apache (virtualhost).

Syntax with direct ip, compatible with future spec :

'{"ip": ["166.84.62.124","166.84.62.252"], "map":{"": "166.84.62.124"}}'
This one requires you to configure apache only.
Multiple ip allowed for new spec (using the ip record), not for the old.
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

watchpocket

Post by watchpocket »

khal wrote:

'{"ip": ["166.84.62.124","166.84.62.252"], "map":{"": "166.84.62.124"}}'
Ok, so I did this:

namecoind name_update d/watchpocket <rand> '{"ip": ["166.84.62.124","166.84.62.252"], "map":{"": "166.84.62.124"}}'
Now host shows:

host watchpocket.bit 166.84.62.252 
Using domain server:
Name: 178.32.31.41
Address: 178.32.31.41#53
Aliases: 

Host watchpocket.bit not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
And whois has

"Value: {invalid)"

so I'm not sure if I did that right.

Also, this is a problem:
This one requires you to configure apache only.
Again, I have no access to apache server config files.

As far as know, about as close as I could get to that would be putting commands into an .htaccess file in my public_html subdirectory on the ISP that hosts the dot-net site.

What alternative or solution would there be, short of asking ISP admins to modify apache?

watchpocket

Post by watchpocket »

Still in search of a solution to the above. . . .

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

I didn't see it before, but name_update doesn't need the rand number...

namecoind name_update d/watchpocket '{"ip": ["166.84.62.124","166.84.62.252"], "map":{"": "166.84.62.124"}}'

After things are updated, your web server will display : Access Denied (i put the ip in /etc/hosts to simulate a working dns and i got this error). You'll need to configure this right on your server :p
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

watchpocket

Post by watchpocket »

khal wrote:You'll need to configure this right on your server :p
So you're saying that if I don't have access to the server on which my site is hosted, I (and anyone else in the same situation) can't have a dot-bit site?

I do have an already-existing dot-net site, hosted on a server on an ISP. I'd like my .bit site to be, or point to, that same content that is the dot-net site.

But I have no access to that server, and I can't make config changes there.

So this means the only way to have a .bit site is to run your own server? I wish I'd known that before I went to the trouble and expense of registering a name. (I suppose I could look into 3rd-party "forward DNS", but I have no idea how, or if, it'll work. Clueful tips appreciated.)

Just to mention again something I said earlier, If the dot-bit project is to be at all popularized, this would seem to be an issue needing attention. Lots of folks wanting a dot-bit name will already have sites up, many of them, like mine, hosted remotely.
Last edited by watchpocket on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.