name transfer

CoinMan

name transfer

Post by CoinMan »

I tried to transfer a domain name using this syntax:

namecoind name_update d/<name> <value> <address>

now in my wallet is shows "transferred", but on my other computer which has the wallet and address I transferred it to nothing appears. It's been almost 24 hours now so that should be well over 120 confirmations (if that was required). Does the receiving wallet need namecoins too for it to show up?

Thanks.
My Bitcoin Identity
Bitcoin: 183DFFQXR4xCyseBXzmh3XWc22izDWE5Dw
Namecoin: NDUFizypxPYkFapaaogQp8A92PbL3HsxdA

khal
Site Admin

Re: name transfer

Post by khal »

I've haven't try to transfer a domain yet... and there is not so much informations on it.

Is there other people that try to transfer a domain ?
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

Maybe, your second wallet has no trace of a transaction for that name (you didn't do name_new, name_update, etc in this wallet) so your wallet don't know it owns a new domain.
I don't know if you can do something for now (before trying anything, don't forget to backup your wallet !).

Does this command return true or false ?

Code: Select all

./namecoind name_debug1 d/yourdomain
Do you see your domain in ?

./namecoind listtransactions
If not, you can try to relaunch namecoind with :

./namecoind -rescan
If it's still not here, you may need to wait a patch to correct the problem.

CoinMan

Post by CoinMan »

khal wrote: Does this command return true or false ?

./namecoind name_debug1 d/yourdomain
True (in sending and receiving wallet)
khal wrote:Do you see your domain in ?

./namecoind listtransactions
(Yes in sending wallet, No in receiving wallet)
khal wrote:If not, you can try to relaunch namecoind with :

./namecoind -rescan
(Did this on receiving wallet, receiving wallet still empty)

After backing up my wallet I decided to delete everything in the .namecoin directory except wallet.dat and bitcoin.conf, after it downloaded all the blocks though name_list is still empty. I'm thinking that perhaps the receiving wallet should issue some type of command in order to accept the transfer...just not quite sure what that command is since, as you pointed out, there isn't much documentation on it.

I appreciate your help though and all that you are doing for namecoin. To show my appreciation I would be happy to reserve a name for you and when this transfer stuff works I'll send it to you!

CoinMan
My Bitcoin Identity

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

CoinMan wrote:After backing up my wallet I decided to delete everything in the .namecoin directory except wallet.dat and bitcoin.conf, after it downloaded all the blocks though name_list is still empty. I'm thinking that perhaps the receiving wallet should issue some type of command in order to accept the transfer...just not quite sure what that command is since, as you pointed out, there isn't much documentation on it.
This command does not exists yet. What the software should do is to detect the transfer transaction when it receives a new block and adds the transaction to your wallet (a -rescan or redownload the blockchain would work). But i guess it doesn't. Maybe vince will be the only one to be able to resolve this...
CoinMan wrote:I appreciate your help though and all that you are doing for namecoin. To show my appreciation I would be happy to reserve a name for you and when this transfer stuff works I'll send it to you!
:p

gsan

Post by gsan »

FWIW, I have transferred a domain successfully when it was first implemented. The domain shows in both wallets. When you execute an update from the receiving wallet, it will disappear from the sending one. That step is not necessary, since the domain can't be updated by the sending party once it's transferred. Also, no name_new or anything to that effect is necessary on the receiving side.

I don't know what the problem is with CoinMan's domain though.
bitcoin:13uSLCLqURqjJkfH6ny56h65oF6bfsVik1
namecoin:NEuYvWtQ8pZzFx7sAnfjeRVtzvieCWF5Ug

CoinMan

Post by CoinMan »

gsan wrote:FWIW, I have transferred a domain successfully when it was first implemented. The domain shows in both wallets. When you execute an update from the receiving wallet, it will disappear from the sending one. That step is not necessary, since the domain can't be updated by the sending party once it's transferred. Also, no name_new or anything to that effect is necessary on the receiving side.

I don't know what the problem is with CoinMan's domain though.
I tried a name_update in the receiving wallet and got:

error: {"code":-1,"message":"this coin is not in your wallet"}
Since there was no NMC in this wallet I then transferred 51 NMC to the same address that I transferred the domain to. The NMC appear in my balance on the receving wallet but a name_update still gives the same error.
My Bitcoin Identity

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

When you do a list transaction on the first wallet, you should see one or more transactions for your domain update, with the same txid.
Ex for a first-update on my wallet :
- send 0.01
- receive 0.01
- send 41.1 (network fee)

I guess that on your second wallet you should find one receive transaction with the same txid. If you don't find it, that would confirm your namecoind software didn't recongise it as yours.

Do you use last version of namecoin on your second wallet or an old one ?

CoinMan

Post by CoinMan »

khal wrote:When you do a list transaction on the first wallet, you should see one or more transactions for your domain update, with the same txid.
Ex for a first-update on my wallet :
- send 0.01
- receive 0.01
- send 41.1 (network fee)

I guess that on your second wallet you should find one receive transaction with the same txid. If you don't find it, that would confirm your namecoind software didn't recongise it as yours.

Do you use last version of namecoin on your second wallet or an old one ?
Yes, I can see the tx in the sending wallet, but the only tx in the receiving wallet is for the namecoins I sent to it. Both sending/receiving are on version 32150. The sending client is ubuntu 11.04 64bit that I compiled myself, the receiving client I downloaded the win32 binary off the site.
My Bitcoin Identity

CoinMan

Post by CoinMan »

khal wrote:...I guess that on your second wallet you should find one receive transaction with the same txid. If you don't find it, that would confirm your namecoind software didn't recongise it as yours.
This is what I perceive as the situation, that is why I tried to restore my namecoin wallet in the same way I have successfully restored bitcion wallets several times. I just deleted everything in my .namecoin directory except for the bitcoin.conf and the wallet.dat, then started namecoind and let it download the blockchain again but this didn't pickup my name. I tried this restore method again after I sent 51 NMC to the receiving wallet, it brought back my 51 namecoins but it didn't pickup the name.
My Bitcoin Identity