Namecoin-Qt 3.72 - Chinese Translation Added

snailbrain

Re: Namecoin-Qt BETA with Namespace Registration 3.67

Post by snailbrain »

should be fixed, any chance can see if it compiles on linux now? <3

omyno

Post by omyno »

No trouble compiling it on Linux for me.

snailbrain, do you think the UI issues I listed above are valid? Unfortunately I don't have experience with Qt GUI development, so I won't be able to provide a patch.

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

omyno wrote:Thank you so much for creating namecoin-qt, this looks great already!

There are some usability issues I'd like to point to:
  • For me, the default width of the window leads to a hidden "Manage Names" button. Do you think the default width could be increased or can this be solved in some other way?
  • Would "Register" instead of "Submit" be a better choice for the button?
  • The UI should not use terms like "name_new", "name_firstupdate" at all.
  • The column "Expires in" should contain an estimated date/time.
  • What do you think about a drop-down menu for the prefix? In this drop-down menu a user can choose between "Domain", "Identity", "Custom" etc. This way the long explanation below the input field is not necessary anymore.
  • Can we really expect the user to enter JSON strings manually? Are plain JSON strings necessary in any way? Again, drop-down menus or something similar would make it easier to enter values.
There are some other small issues with the current interface but those mentioned should definitely be addressed in my opinion.
1. can probably do that
2. debatable .. wont be hard to change if the consensus is for it :D .. also you are submitting, you not registering until firstupdate?
3. maybe. Most people that want to use namecoin for something will probably understand that after reading wiki though?
4. it's possible, but too much work for now.. and we aren't all sure on the exact fields/namespaces etc..
5. yes i know, the whole point of making the qt was for better uptake... before this everything was commandline...

atm these aren't really priority but in future updates maybe we will add..

the most important thing at the moment is rebasing namecoin on the latest bitcoin code... also apparently issues with merge mining too (would be good to know exactly what they are).

omyno

Post by omyno »

Thanks for your feedback! I understand and fully agree that UI issues are not a priority yet. :-)

moa

Post by moa »

snailbrain wrote:should be fixed, any chance can see if it compiles on linux now? <3
Fixed.

phelix

Post by phelix »

omyno wrote:Thank you so much for creating namecoin-qt, this looks great already!

There are some usability issues I'd like to point to:
  • For me, the default width of the window leads to a hidden "Manage Names" button. Do you think the default width could be increased or can this be solved in some other way?
Do you use a non default font size possibly? This is not the case for most other people...
[*]Would "Register" instead of "Submit" be a better choice for the button?
It submits a request for registration to the network so IMHO it's ok.
[*]The UI should not use terms like "name_new", "name_firstupdate" at all.
Without that you will never be able to understand what is happening. With the automatic postponed name_firstupdate the GUI is going pretty far already.
[*]The column "Expires in" should contain an estimated date/time.
That would be nice but might give a wrong feeling of safety in case of drastic hash rate increases... maybe a very conservative date would be ok, like: "some time after ..."
[*]What do you think about a drop-down menu for the prefix? In this drop-down menu a user can choose between "Domain", "Identity", "Custom" etc. This way the long explanation below the input field is not necessary anymore.
Interesting idea. It should at least contain an "other / raw" option, though.
[*]Can we really expect the user to enter JSON strings manually? Are plain JSON strings necessary in any way? Again, drop-down
menus or something similar would make it easier to enter values.[/list]
Well, for domains there is already GUI supported entering...
There are some other small issues with the current interface but those mentioned should definitely be addressed in my opinion.
IMHO we should make an official release first. There is plenty of room for improvement but as it is now it is already a huge step, especially for the less technically obsessed.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

phelix

Post by phelix »

domob wrote:
snailbrain wrote:
domob wrote:Works for me as advertised! Thanks also for adding the name_update operations in listtransactions. However, I think it would be great if more details were shown. Currently a name_firstupdate just looks like sending 0 NMC to some address ... what about adding some information as name_new shows? For instance, add the text "name_update: d/my-name" in the address field or so?
We think listtransactions shouldn't show names, since it's not a name operation (i.e. it must be compatible with Bitcoin). also maybe cause problem with people switching between official and namecoind (from qt)?

but can discuss if everyone thinks otherwise.. and add on todo for future update.
I think to remember that the official namecoind did display the names ... that's why I "miss" that, although I agree that that's not actually an "address" and it would maybe be better to just add a new field for name operations to the returned JSON object. What do you think about that? This could be done also for name_new, to be consistent.
Turns out this is a slightly bigger problem than I previously thought. It does not seem to display name_firstupdate / name_update names so it is more difficult to find failed transactions.

What I will do for now with stuck name_ops is delete all TXs with 0 confirmations not matter whether they are name_ops or normal TXs.

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

i've not had any of the "having to delete transactions with 0 confirms" since a few versions ago...
is maybe because you built using different version dependencies?

or are you mixing namecoind name_ops with qt name_ops?
i have registered 10+ names in 1 go,, closed down client, reopened the day after, all firstupdates come in.. also have done name_news, transferred some coins, done more name news, more transactions, then let it do firstupdates...

do you have debug.log of where it fails?

also it seems sometimes (rarely) the client stops downloading the next block, and does not kick in for a while (i think something to do with merged mined blocks, could be wrong).. if you compare with blockexplorer and make sure you are up to the same block.. restarting client has fixed this for me..

phelix

Post by phelix »

moa wrote:Latest from github doesn't build on linux ... the dir re-restructure causes include errors. You need to re-instate the line

Code: Select all

INCLUDEPATH += src src/json src/qt
into namecoin-qt.pro ... it was in there previously ...as it is for the bitcoin-qt.pro

TARGET = namecoin-qt
macx:TARGET = "Namecoin-Qt"
VERSION = 0.3.68
[b]INCLUDEPATH += src src/json src/qt[/b]
QT += network
DEFINES += GUI QT_GUI BOOST_THREAD_USE_LIB BOOST_SPIRIT_THREADSAFE
CONFIG += no_include_pwd
This change breaks my windows build... I think this line was not in the public namecoin-qt releases. Also I don't see why it would be necessary as all includes seem to have the proper directory prefixed (maybe there is one path missing for Linux?).

Will use this for now:

!win32 {
	INCLUDEPATH += src src/json src/qt
}
Please check if this would work on Linux as only the "src" seems to be problematic.

INCLUDEPATH += src/json src/qt

moa

Post by moa »

That's not the right way to do it ... you windows guys are terrible with your paths because the compiler "just takes care of it" but it leaves behind a big incomprehensible mess. There should be no need to put any dir into includes or headers. If you want to have a windows only code keep going in that direction ...

See the bitcoin-qt source for a way to do cross platform. NB: this is one reason why namecoin-qt is getting further away from rebasing on namecoind.