GPG and OTR integration

domob

Re: GPG and OTR integration

Post by domob »

biolizard89 wrote:Unfortunately I don't use Pidgin (I use Jitsi for IM; how hard would it be to port the plugin to Jitsi)?
I have to say, I find Pidgin working by far much better and more reliable than Jitsi - I'd suggest you try changing. :P However, Jitsi is great for voice/video with ZRTP, which is not yet supported by Pidgin. I don't think Jitsi supports plugins, and in fact OTR is native there. I could try to port the same code to it, but it would basically be a complete rewrite since Jitsi is written in Java. (And I'm not sure whether the Jitsi people would like to incorporate the patch, since I'm not sure whether it can be done as a separate plugin.)
biolizard89 wrote:The Namecoin library would be awesome.
Thanks for the feedback - the problem is, the code is still rather application specific (JavaScript with Mozilla add-on API for instance, or C with Glib). The UI with the configuration settings is of course even more specific to the particular situation ... so I've yet to find a good subset of the code that would make a useful "general" library.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

moa

Post by moa »

BTW, so far I have written already three implementations of basic querying for name data: In Python (Bitmessage), Mozilla JavaScript (NameID addon) and now C with Glib. What do you think, would it make sense to copy out the code of all three and provide them in some kind of "namecoin communication library", with more languages added as needed in the future for more similar projects?
Interesting idea, at very least it would be good to have all source code in one place, your github I suppose :) .

ViperGeek

Post by ViperGeek »

domob wrote:And another update, the code pushed to the repository now contains also a UI for the connection settings plus automatic discovery from namecoin.conf (basically just like the Bitmessage patch). I think it is quite usable now, and all the basic functionality is there. If someone is using Pidgin and wants to experiment a bit, it would be great if I could get some testers. ;) You have to compile the plugin yourself, though, I'm not sure how binaries of Pidgin plugins can be distributed in the best way. It would be especially interesting whether or not the namecoin.conf discovery works also on Windows.
I run Pidgin and OTR on Windows, but unfortunately cannot compile Win32 binaries. If you're willing to whip up a DLL for me, I'm willing to be an alpha tester.

domob

Post by domob »

ViperGeek wrote:
domob wrote:And another update, the code pushed to the repository now contains also a UI for the connection settings plus automatic discovery from namecoin.conf (basically just like the Bitmessage patch). I think it is quite usable now, and all the basic functionality is there. If someone is using Pidgin and wants to experiment a bit, it would be great if I could get some testers. ;) You have to compile the plugin yourself, though, I'm not sure how binaries of Pidgin plugins can be distributed in the best way. It would be especially interesting whether or not the namecoin.conf discovery works also on Windows.
I run Pidgin and OTR on Windows, but unfortunately cannot compile Win32 binaries. If you're willing to whip up a DLL for me, I'm willing to be an alpha tester.
Sorry, I don't have a Windows system on which I could compile it. :( But this is so far only a proof-of-concept anyway. Currently there's ongoing work on merging OTR directly into Pidgin, and when that is done I can implement Namecoin as plugin by itself (without the need to modify the OTR code and basically "fork" their project). This is my actual plan for the future.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY

omyno

Post by omyno »

Thanks for tackling this! Your plugin works like a charm for me.

Just a note: autoreconf threw this error for me:

Code: Select all

/usr/share/automake-1.13/am/ltlibrary.am: warning: 'pidgin-otr.la': linking libtool libraries using a non-POSIX
This solves the problem:

--- configure.ac.orig	2013-08-29 00:17:54.602745079 +0200
+++ configure.ac	2013-08-29 00:16:18.742289082 +0200
@@ -4,7 +4,7 @@

AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)

-AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([-Wall -Werror])
+AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([foreign -Wall -Werror -Wno-extra-portability])

AC_PROG_CC

domob

Post by domob »

omyno wrote:Thanks for tackling this! Your plugin works like a charm for me.
Great to hear! As mentioned already, I'm looking forward to when Pidgin integrates OTR and I can release my code "standalone" as a plugin that is not a fork of OTR (so that OTR can be maintained upstream separately and users don't have to rely on me integrating fixes if they use my code - especially because OTR is such a critical tool by itself). Which system are you on?
omyno wrote:Just a note: autoreconf threw this error for me:

/usr/share/automake-1.13/am/ltlibrary.am: warning: 'pidgin-otr.la': linking libtool libraries using a non-POSIX
This solves the problem:

--- configure.ac.orig	2013-08-29 00:17:54.602745079 +0200
+++ configure.ac	2013-08-29 00:16:18.742289082 +0200
@@ -4,7 +4,7 @@

AM_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)

-AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([-Wall -Werror])
+AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([foreign -Wall -Werror -Wno-extra-portability])

AC_PROG_CC
Thanks for the report - but from a quick glance it looks like it is not related to my code but rather Pidgin-OTR itself. (?)