access .bit domain no problem, but how to access .bit-EMAIL?

georgem

access .bit domain no problem, but how to access .bit-EMAIL?

Post by georgem »

So I got foxyproxy working and I can see *.bit domains in firefox. No Problem.

Now I want to test if I can implement a *.bit email adress into Thunderbird. So I can recieve and send email.

How can I accomplish that?

Do email-programs have this functionality? Has anyone tried that yet?

Do we have to teach every program (browser, emailprogram, etc.) how they can decode *.bit,
or is there a system-wide way how to declare bit domains? So that every installed program will know what a bit domain is.

Thanks in advance for enlightening me.

moa

Re: access .bit domain no problem, but how to access .bit-EM

Post by moa »

georgem wrote:So I got foxyproxy working and I can see *.bit domains in firefox. No Problem.

Now I want to test if I can implement a *.bit email adress into Thunderbird. So I can recieve and send email.

Do we have to teach every program (browser, emailprogram, etc.) how they can decode *.bit,
or is there a system-wide way how to declare bit domains? So that every installed program will know what a bit domain is.

Yes, there are ways to 'declare' .bit domains system-wide. However, there is no unique method, it will depend on what you are trying to do and your existing system set-up. You'll probably want to read up on how DNS works generally to understand how .bit fits into that ... and then there are the advanced methods in the wiki that describe some ways for .bit.

http://dot-bit.org/HowToBrowseBitDomain ... it_domains

BTW, I haven't heard anybody of enabling a .bit for email so you would be the first ....

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

georgem wrote:So I got foxyproxy working and I can see *.bit domains in firefox. No Problem.

if using your own exchange server or similar (and probably dns), and it's configured to resolve .bit domains then it should work...
if using some smtp server that can't resolve .bit then it won't work..

I use a hosting company (shared hosting account) and have added animals.bit which i can view.. i created info@XXX.bit and i can email it from other domains on the same shared host (as expected).. but obviously not from other places which can't resolve .bit (e.g. gmail and my other hosts).

I assume someone could setup an smtp server specifically for .bit .. like smtp.dot-bit.org .. probably would have to charge for it or something :) (also not sure about security)..

if you can resolve .bit already using something like https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=205026 then you should be able to receive any emails (providing someone manage to send it properly)..

using the foxyproxy i think this just works in firefox so won't work with all your other programs.. using the method above (acrylic) everything should be able to access .bit (i believe).. but still, to send emails (to a .bit email) your outgoing mail server will need to be able to resolve .bit

edit: i can send emails from my info@XXX.bit to gmail and it correctly shows the full info@XXX.bit in the "email from" field... but obviously cannot reply

georgem

Post by georgem »

Thank you both for your feedback and hints.

I have a root server (ubuntu with plesk), and I am also looking to possibly set up a DNS server myself on that server.
(have never done that before)

Right now I have subscribed to a DNS service were they let me create DNS entries,
that I point to my server.

As a next step I will now try and make my win 64 system FULLY .bit compatible, then I will set up
a bit email with plesk and make some tests with thunderbird.