[3 BTC Bounty] TLS Support for .bit Domains

biolizard89

[3 BTC Bounty] TLS Support for .bit Domains

Post by biolizard89 »

NMCSocks has some partial support for TLS, but there are no binaries, and as far as I can tell no one was able to make it build. It's discontinued, so it's doubtful that that code will be fixed/finished.

I am pledging a 1 BTC bounty to the first developer to implement the TLS feature of the .bit 2.0 spec. Requirements (all must be met for the bounty to be awarded):

1. TLS support implemented as described in the .bit 2.0 spec.
2. Source code (under open source license) with build instructions. (Someone must be able to verify that the source code is buildable.)
3. Windows binary. (Obviously Linux/OSX binaries would be awesome, but not a requirement.)
4. Instructions for making it work with Firefox on Windows.
5. I must be able to run the software for 1 week without crashes or other unexpected behavior.
6. Must be posted on this forum.

I think the centralization of the standard TLS infrastructure is a danger to the security of the Internet, and I think that .bit won't catch on if sites can't use TLS. Implementing TLS for .bit in a user-friendly way would help solve both issues.

If unclaimed, this bounty will expire at 11:59PM UTC, March 31, 2013.

(Warning for candidates: the latest binaries of NMCSocks crash periodically on Windows [at least for me], so if you use that code as your base, you'll need to make sure that it can meet requirement 5 above.)

If clarifications are needed about what I'm requesting, just ask. (This is the first bounty I've offered, so if I've made an oversight, please point it out and I'll correct.) :)

Thanks!

EDIT: total pledges:

1 BTC - biolizard89
1 BTC - phelix
1 BTC - Namecoin Marketing and Development Fund
Two two-letter .bit domains ( https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=66212 ) - phelix

EDIT 2: All pledges extended to July 31, 2013.
Last edited by biolizard89 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Re: [1 BTC Bounty] TLS Support for .bit Domains

Post by phelix »

I will add 1 BTC at the same conditions.

Also I would be happy to help with windows builds and testing.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

phelix

Re: [2 BTC Bounty] TLS Support for .bit Domains

Post by phelix »

Maybe it would be easier to implement in NMControl:

http://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2941#p2941

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:Maybe it would be easier to implement in NMControl:

http://dot-bit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2941#p2941
NMControl would be cool. Whatever codebase the developer wants to use is fine with me, and since NMControl is actively maintained and NMCSocks isn't, NMControl is probably a better choice. If someone makes NMCSocks work they can still claim the bounty, but personally I'm hoping that whoever claims the bounty uses NMControl.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Post by phelix »

The Namecoin Marketing and Development Fund adds 1 BTC to this case.

Also I will throw two two-letter .bit domains from these to up the bounty.

biolizard89

Re: [3 BTC Bounty] TLS Support for .bit Domains

Post by biolizard89 »

I am extending my 1 BTC bounty's expiration date until July 31, 2013. Is anyone working on this project?

phelix

Post by phelix »

There is not much going on here currently. You might want to try to make a cross post on the bitcointalk alternative clients board.

phelix

Post by phelix »

with pyelliptic encryption and signing is very easy:

Code: Select all

# Asymmetric encryption
alice = pyelliptic.ECC() # default curve: sect283r1
bob = pyelliptic.ECC(curve='sect571r1')

ciphertext = alice.encrypt("Hello Bob", bob.get_pubkey())
print bob.decrypt(ciphertext)

signature = bob.sign("Hello Alice")
# alice's job :
print pyelliptic.ECC(pubkey=bob.get_pubkey()).verify(signature, "Hello Alice")

from https://github.com/yann2192/pyelliptic

also note pybitmessage: https://github.com/Bitmessage/PyBitmessage

can easily create bitcoin / namecoin keys, addresses etc.: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=145098

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:There is not much going on here currently. You might want to try to make a cross post on the bitcointalk alternative clients board.
Yeah, I would post on BitcoinTalk, but I only had one post there prior to them creating the "newbie jail." I never bothered to ask for whitelisting (I doubt I would qualify at the moment), and I'm not interested in posting meaningless garbage in the newbie forum in an attempt to spam my way out of the jail.

Are you and/or the Namecoin Marketing and Development Fund interested in extending your expiration date as I have done?

I'm actually considering trying to tackle this challenge myself... even if (as is likely) I don't succeed, I'll probably learn something potentially useful along the way. Of course, my spare time is pretty limited right now due to school.

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:There is not much going on here currently. You might want to try to make a cross post on the bitcointalk alternative clients board.
Yeah, I would post on BitcoinTalk, but I only had one post there prior to them creating the "newbie jail." I never bothered to ask for whitelisting (I doubt I would qualify at the moment), and I'm not interested in posting meaningless garbage in the newbie forum in an attempt to spam my way out of the jail.

Are you and/or the Namecoin Marketing and Development Fund interested in extending your expiration date as I have done?

I'm actually considering trying to tackle this challenge myself... even if (as is likely) I don't succeed, I'll probably learn something potentially useful along the way. Of course, my spare time is pretty limited right now due to school.
sure will extend.

actually I did post on bitcointalk: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=117795

with the python stuff above and nmcControl I think it would not be too hard if one would know stuff about TLS/SSL