I didn't receive my coins in Namecoin Wallet (mac)

bojwase

I didn't receive my coins in Namecoin Wallet (mac)

Post by bojwase »

Hello,
yesterday i download Namecoin Wallet for mac from the main website, after that i exchange the coins from (shapeshift.io) and i use my Namecoin wallet address but i didn't get any coins yet in my Wallet because my wallet doesn't work very will, it's show me that message from yesterday (Synchronizing with network ...) and nothing happen.

so it's look like that the Mac applications doesn't work!

my question is..
can i use my address in other wallet so i can see my coins and transfer it to other wallet?
is there another trusted wallet can i use it? Apps for mac or online?

i hope someone can help with that issue :/
thanks.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 5.08.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-06-23 at 5.08.53 PM.png (60.67 KiB) Viewed 6939 times

cassini

Re: I didn't receive my coins in Namecoin Wallet (mac)

Post by cassini »

bojwase wrote:(Synchronizing with network ...) and nothing happen.
Meanwhile the synchronization should have finished and therefore your wallet software (Namecoin-Qt 0.3.80 client) should display the NMCs coming from shapeshift.io.
If not, lookup your receive address using https://namecoin.webbtc.com/
whether the amount is already on the blockchain. If it is on the blockchain, then it will turn up in your wallet in the end.

However, the Namecoin-Qt 0.3.80 client is out of date and you'll have problems sending Namecoins and name transactions from this client version. On average 1 in 2 transactions fails and you have to restart the client and try again. In worst case, one has to issue a deletetransaction command on the command line in certain situations.

For the last 12 months or so it had looked as if there is no demand for an updated GUI version for Mac OS as hardly anyone used it on a Mac. The few who do so are able to compile from source code anyway. However, recently these requests for an OSX GUI client have started coming in again. Looks like I need to get cracking :geek:
Volunteers for beta testing, anybody?
bojwase wrote:can i use my address in other wallet so i can see my coins and transfer it to other wallet?
Yes, you can use your wallet.dat file for all full clients available at namecoin.org including releases in the near future. There are no online wallets for Namecoin. In the past I have inspected a few websites that claim to be "trustworthy" online Namecoin wallets. They all turned out to be scam.

By the way, always backup the wallet.dat file to an external medium before you install a new client/wallet software version!

bojwase

Post by bojwase »

thanks for your help cassini

can i ask you something please about Wallet backup, if i have a wallet and i do backup with 0 balance then i send to my wallet any coins then i move my old backup (with no balance) to other wallet and i open it do i will find my coins that i bought it before?

what i meaning exactly is the wallet backup doing a backup for my wallet data so if i'm any where i will take my coins?
or is the backup should be with coins not just the wallet keys and password and other data?

i hope i'm clear with my question ^^"

thanks.

cassini

Post by cassini »

I am not sure if I understand this statement: "then i move my old backup ... to other wallet" ???
I think you confuse "wallet" with "client software". (Unfortunately, the "client software" is often called "The Wallet", therefore it is easy to confuse things.)
Let me clarify these two expressions:

"wallet": This is the expression we usually use for the wallet.dat file. It is one single file on the harddisk. Simplyfied speaking, it contains at least one Namecoin address (or "private key"). In real life it contains 100 or more addresses, but initially you see only the first one of these 100 addresses.

"client software": This is the piece of software you probably downloaded from namecoin.org, and you use it to send and receive Namecoins (NMC) and names. During the first start it automatically creates an empty wallet, i.e. a wallet.dat file containing 0 NMC.

Now back to your question if I understand it correctly. Yes, you can send Namecoins to an address in your wallet.dat file at any time. As soon as you use your wallet.dat with an old or a new client software, the amount will appear after synchronizing again.

In doubt always backup the wallet.dat file before doing any experiments (and rename it to a different name, so you don't overwrite it the next time). And NEVER delete any of your backups, even if you think it is empty or outdated.

bojwase

Post by bojwase »

thnaks for your reply and your help Cassini,

yes that's what i mean.
and i under stand that if i send a coins to my wallet address even my "client software" close, i will receive my coins when i just open it and it's synchronizing.
and if i take my wallet.dat and move it to another "client software" and synchronizing i will find my coins there too :)

thanks a lot.

Pif01010

Post by Pif01010 »

I haven't had much experience with shapeshift but pretty poor luck from my limited experience.
I hope you weren't trading lots of coins

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Pif01010 wrote:I haven't had much experience with shapeshift but pretty poor luck from my limited experience.
I hope you weren't trading lots of coins
The described issue doesn't appear to be a ShapeShift issue. (I have my complaints about ShapeShift, but they're not at fault here AFAICT.)
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5