Getting Jekyll deployed soon

biolizard89

Getting Jekyll deployed soon

Post by biolizard89 »

The delay in deploying Jekyll is impacting my ability to get useful stuff done on the documentation end of things. My understanding is that Ryan is not having much luck finding time to set it up. I don't know if anyone else both has access to the server and is comfortable setting up Jekyll safely. Anyone?

If not, I suggest that we consider pushing a commit to the old site which does an HTML redirect to the version of the Jekyll site that is hosted by github.io. The benefit is that this is trivial to deploy and can be done very quickly. The drawback is that end users would see a github.io URL instead of a namecoin.org URL. GitHub could theoretically maliciously modify our site, but I'm pretty sure the current site already pulls from GitHub without checking sigs, so this isn't a change (although we should fix that sometime).

Hugo, Brandon, and Joseph ACKed this suggestion on IRC.

Opinions?
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

cassini

Re: Getting Jekyll deployed soon

Post by cassini »

biolizard89 wrote:The benefit is that this is trivial to deploy
I must admit I've never set up a github.io page. If you are sure that after a redirect everything works straightaway, then I'd say: ACK.

Past experience with other HTML makeshift redirects taught me, however, that this could easily open an unsavoury can of worms. We'll have to test all the external and internal links and sublinks, otherwise we may create a large number of HTTP 404 zombies, I guess. Something like "https://github.io/namecoin.info/files/N ... _setup.exe" or similar.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

cassini wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:The benefit is that this is trivial to deploy
I must admit I've never set up a github.io page. If you are sure that after a redirect everything works straightaway, then I'd say: ACK.

Past experience with other HTML makeshift redirects taught me, however, that this could easily open an unsavoury can of worms. We'll have to test all the external and internal links and sublinks, otherwise we may create a large number of HTTP 404 zombies, I guess. Something like "https://github.io/namecoin.info/files/N ... _setup.exe" or similar.
Yes, we will need to test links. Last I checked, they were working fine on the github.io site, but it would definitely be worth checking again.

Can Daniel and Phelix (and maybe Ryan) comment on whether we should move to github.io until Ryan has a chance to get the server set up?

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

domob

Post by domob »

biolizard89 wrote: Can Daniel and Phelix (and maybe Ryan) comment on whether we should move to github.io until Ryan has a chance to get the server set up?
I don't have any strong opinion here.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote: If not, I suggest that we consider pushing a commit to the old site which does an HTML redirect to the version of the Jekyll site that is hosted by github.io. The benefit is that this is trivial to deploy and can be done very quickly. The drawback is that end users would see a github.io URL instead of a namecoin.org URL. GitHub could theoretically maliciously modify our site, but I'm pretty sure the current site already pulls from GitHub without checking sigs, so this isn't a change (although we should fix that sometime).

This is a bad idea. It would not only replace our hard earned namecoin.org domain with namecoin.github.io/namecoin.org visible for every visitor but it would also hurt search engine ranking.

As I told you I will give it a try if Ryan will not do it. What about I set up a new VM for you to configure with Jekyll and nginx?

Please stick to this as much as possible as it will save us all a ton of discussion (from earlier thread):
biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:IMHO we should separate the infrastructure move from changes to the content.
I'm totally fine with that.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:
biolizard89 wrote: If not, I suggest that we consider pushing a commit to the old site which does an HTML redirect to the version of the Jekyll site that is hosted by github.io. The benefit is that this is trivial to deploy and can be done very quickly. The drawback is that end users would see a github.io URL instead of a namecoin.org URL. GitHub could theoretically maliciously modify our site, but I'm pretty sure the current site already pulls from GitHub without checking sigs, so this isn't a change (although we should fix that sometime).

This is a bad idea. It would not only replace our hard earned namecoin.org domain with namecoin.github.io/namecoin.org visible for every visitor but it would also hurt search engine ranking.

As I told you I will give it a try if Ryan will not do it. What about I set up a new VM for you to configure with Jekyll and nginx?
Well, I mainly considered my suggestion to be a temporary clutch which would hopefully not last long. But I agree that SEO would be harmed, which might be a big deal.

I don't know if I'm sufficiently competent to configure a VM to use Jekyll+nginx safely. If you think you're able to do it, then that's fine with me, but I'd like Ryan to look over your work and/or redo it when he has time (which will probably not be for a while, which I will live with).

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Okay, so another option. One of us (or more than one of us) could simply build the Jekyll site, and then commit the result to the old namecoin.info repo. AFAICT that should work okay, although it means there's some manual labor involved in updating the site.

I'm okay with doing that manual labor short term, although I don't guarantee that it will be timely. It's not a replacement for having Jekyll on the server, but it might hold us over for now.

Any opinions on this?

somename

Post by somename »

> Okay, so another option. One of us (or more than one of us) could simply build the Jekyll site, and then commit the result to the old namecoin.info repo. AFAICT that should work okay, although it means there's some manual labor involved in updating the site.

Actually the easiest way is to setup a completely "stupid" VPS and integrate it with Git. Then updates can be done in the nice (well at least for me) markdown language.

See "Git post-update hook" at https://jekyllrb.com/docs/deployment-methods/

The server only has to get the stuff from Git and self-update itself (on the OS/Nginx level). If you don't have other hosts on the same box (I think that's the best) you could even use a simpler server, such as lighttpd - less exposure and need for careful management. Another option for decent compartmentalization is Nginx with couple of Docker instances (one of them Jekyll, the rest as necessary), although that means more hassle and management.

And there are Let's Encrypt (HTTPS cert) auto-update scripts although the officially preferred procedure is to run an online application script every 60 days.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

somename wrote:> Okay, so another option. One of us (or more than one of us) could simply build the Jekyll site, and then commit the result to the old namecoin.info repo. AFAICT that should work okay, although it means there's some manual labor involved in updating the site.

Actually the easiest way is to setup a completely "stupid" VPS and integrate it with Git. Then updates can be done in the nice (well at least for me) markdown language.

See "Git post-update hook" at https://jekyllrb.com/docs/deployment-methods/

The server only has to get the stuff from Git and self-update itself (on the OS/Nginx level). If you don't have other hosts on the same box (I think that's the best) you could even use a simpler server, such as lighttpd - less exposure and need for careful management. Another option for decent compartmentalization is Nginx with couple of Docker instances (one of them Jekyll, the rest as necessary), although that means more hassle and management.

And there are Let's Encrypt (HTTPS cert) auto-update scripts although the officially preferred procedure is to run an online application script every 60 days.
That's basically what I've been suggesting for ages, and what Ryan was intending to do. Unfortunately Ryan isn't able to work on it at the moment, and I am not comfortable messing with server configuration and setting up new VM's. This thread is about workarounds for until Ryan is able to set up a proper solution.

This came up in #namecoin-meeting:
Mar 06 21:09:37 <Jeremy_Rand> ok, so next up. ryan-c appears to not have time to deal with setting up Jekyll anytime soon...
Mar 06 21:09:45 <Jeremy_Rand> so, I have a suggestion
Mar 06 21:10:55 <Jeremy_Rand> A Namecoin developer (I volunteer for this short-term) could run Jekyll and build the site locally, and then commit the resulting static site to the current repo that the public website is synced from
Mar 06 21:11:28 <Jeremy_Rand> This shouldn't need any server config changes
Mar 06 21:12:10 <Jeremy_Rand> while I won't be able to commit to doing the build process immediately whenever changes are made to the Jekyll repo, I can do it often enough that it's an improvement over the current situation
Mar 06 21:12:44 <Jeremy_Rand> (more than one developer could do it too, so if I'm too slow sometime, someone else could do it)
Mar 06 21:12:46 <qpm> freenode:<cassiniNMC> ( Jeremy_Rand: you mentioned this on the forum already, didn't you? )
Mar 06 21:13:00 <Jeremy_Rand> yes, I mentioned it on the forum, but didn't get much response
Mar 06 21:17:38 <qpm> freenode:<cassiniNMC> ok, sounds good. Actually I also could volunteer. Can you write a some instructions on the basic setup? I can then figure out the details, if necessary.
Mar 06 21:18:25 <Jeremy_Rand> cassiniNMC: yes, I can write instructions. I'll be doing it on Debian/Whonix, but Jekyll should work about the same on all OS's, so it shouldn't be an issue
Mar 06 21:19:07 * Jeremy_Rand will be very happy when the Jekyll site goes live
Mar 06 21:20:09 <Jeremy_Rand> ok, so that's all the topics that I have. cassiniNMC, what would you like to discuss?
Mar 06 21:21:04 <qpm> freenode:<cassiniNMC> Also could need instructions on how to commit the resulting site to the repo.
Mar 06 21:21:15 <Jeremy_Rand> yes, I can provide that
Mar 06 21:21:42 <qpm> freenode:<cassiniNMC> (I do know git/github, but maybe this needs some extra precaution.)
So, since Cassini and I have both ACKed this and no one has NACKed it, I will deploy to the beta branch if no NACKs are received within a week.
Last edited by biolizard89 on Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Silly typo.