[NMDF] Namecoin Bounty Cornucopia

josephbisch

Re: [NMDF] Namecoin Bounty Cornucopia

Post by josephbisch »

phelix wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:I suggest we double the bounty for the SPV client from 0.5BTC to 1.0BTC. Any objections?
FYI, EN and Stephen from OU are currently working on this, using BitcoinJ.
Interesting. what is OU? If they want to claim the bounty they should post here.
It is University of Oklahoma. EN and Stephen are the students that Jeremy was mentioning that were interested in doing some Namecoin development.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:I suggest we double the bounty for the SPV client from 0.5BTC to 1.0BTC. Any objections?
Interesting. what is OU? If they want to claim the bounty they should post here.
Well, right now they haven't yet earned the bounty, so not much to post about at this point.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:
Well, right now they haven't yet earned the bounty, so not much to post about at this point.
I wrote that because the OP says:
Some of the bounties are not yet well defined so a post/pm with your plans ahead of time might help mutual understanding and clear specifications.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

They talked to me extensively and discussed it on IRC. Feel free to check the IRC logs on #namecoin-meeting. I believe there is more than reasonable consensus that BitcoinJ is an acceptable way to go about SPV support (indeed, all of the P2P SPV Bitcoin clients on bitcoin.org use BitcoinJ), so I'm not sure what needs to be discussed wrt the bounty on that point. I remember that the main reason we had a qualifier about the SPV bounty was in case someone wrote something that was difficult for us to maintain. BitcoinJ is well-maintained (even though Mike called it quits). So the main question left is whether the fork will be capable of being maintained. If you look on the #namecoin-meeting logs, you'll note that the students discussed maintainability with us, including comparisons with HashEngineering's port (which is basically impossible to maintain). So... I guess I'm not quite certain what you want them to post here about. I can certainly point them to this thread... but before I do that, would be great if you can read the #namecoin-meeting logs and figure out if there are actually questions.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:They talked to me extensively and discussed it on IRC. Feel free to check the IRC logs on #namecoin-meeting. I believe there is more than reasonable consensus that BitcoinJ is an acceptable way to go about SPV support (indeed, all of the P2P SPV Bitcoin clients on bitcoin.org use BitcoinJ), so I'm not sure what needs to be discussed wrt the bounty on that point. I remember that the main reason we had a qualifier about the SPV bounty was in case someone wrote something that was difficult for us to maintain. BitcoinJ is well-maintained (even though Mike called it quits). So the main question left is whether the fork will be capable of being maintained. If you look on the #namecoin-meeting logs, you'll note that the students discussed maintainability with us, including comparisons with HashEngineering's port (which is basically impossible to maintain). So... I guess I'm not quite certain what you want them to post here about. I can certainly point them to this thread... but before I do that, would be great if you can read the #namecoin-meeting logs and figure out if there are actually questions.
What about others starting to work on it resulting in duplicate work?
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:They talked to me extensively and discussed it on IRC. Feel free to check the IRC logs on #namecoin-meeting. I believe there is more than reasonable consensus that BitcoinJ is an acceptable way to go about SPV support (indeed, all of the P2P SPV Bitcoin clients on bitcoin.org use BitcoinJ), so I'm not sure what needs to be discussed wrt the bounty on that point. I remember that the main reason we had a qualifier about the SPV bounty was in case someone wrote something that was difficult for us to maintain. BitcoinJ is well-maintained (even though Mike called it quits). So the main question left is whether the fork will be capable of being maintained. If you look on the #namecoin-meeting logs, you'll note that the students discussed maintainability with us, including comparisons with HashEngineering's port (which is basically impossible to maintain). So... I guess I'm not quite certain what you want them to post here about. I can certainly point them to this thread... but before I do that, would be great if you can read the #namecoin-meeting logs and figure out if there are actually questions.
What about others starting to work on it resulting in duplicate work?
It was discussed on #namecoin-meeting multiple times IIRC. Is there a policy that bringing things up there doesn't count as contacting the dev team? That would seem odd. If someone else is planning to work on that bounty, I assume they would be likely to mention it on #namecoin-meeting as well, if not here.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:1.0 BTC - P2P node SPV client
Bountysource
Forum thread
NMControl needs to be able to connect. Maintenance of the base code should be discussed up front.
I have a port of BitcoinJ working with the Namecoin network. It's not using HashEngineering's code (which, in addition to being unmaintained, turns out to be incredibly messy and is not worth the effort of trying to rebase to current BitcoinJ's upstream codebase). Maintenance of this code is unlikely to be problematic, as it's a small extension of code actively used and maintained by the BitcoinJ and Dogecoin projects.

Regarding the "NMControl needs to be able to connect" requirement: is providing an RPC and/or REST server considered an acceptable way to achieve this? Do I understand correctly that name lookup functionality is not required for this bounty to be met?

(Assuming that the above is okay, I expect to claim this bounty sometime soon.)

Cheers.

EDIT: Also, what API calls are needed for an RPC/REST server to provide to qualify for the bounty? I can provide a getblockcount call, implemented using a BitcoinJ PeerGroup, without much trouble. Is this sufficient? PeerGroup doesn't have wallet or chain download functionality; I can confirm that wallet and chain download functionality work in my code, but I don't have them linked into the RPC server at this point.
Last edited by biolizard89 on Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added note on API calls.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Bountysource
Forum thread
NMControl needs to be able to connect. Maintenance of the base code should be discussed up front.
Claiming the bounty. Instructions for using the client are at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XdC ... sp=sharing .

Since this has name lookups implemented in addition to a plain P2P SPV client, it would certainly be most welcome if the bounty is upped a bit.

Let me know if there are any questions -- if everything is all good, send me a PGP email to obtain a payment address.

Cheers.

domob

Post by domob »

biolizard89 wrote:
Bountysource
Forum thread
Claiming the bounty. Instructions for using the client are at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XdC ... sp=sharing .

Since this has name lookups implemented in addition to a plain P2P SPV client, it would certainly be most welcome if the bounty is upped a bit.
ACK, assuming someone else (Cassini?) has tested the described client and can confirm it works as advertised. (Not that I doubt it for you, but just for the record.) I've no objections to raising the bounty a bit, but in the end phelix and the NMDF decide on that, I guess.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

domob wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:
Bountysource
Forum thread

ACK, assuming someone else (Cassini?) has tested the described client and can confirm it works as advertised. (Not that I doubt it for you, but just for the record.) I've no objections to raising the bounty a bit, but in the end phelix and the NMDF decide on that, I guess.
To my knowledge Cassini hasn't had a chance to test it; there was an issue installing a dependency that was probably either related to a temporary misconfiguration on Gradle's infrastructure or some weird quirk of OS X's Java TLS library. As a result, he and I decided it wasn't a good use of time to try to debug it in the hours we had left before GETD#4 began, and that any live demos would be done via screen sharing from my machine. We ended up not needing to do any live demos there anyway.

So, someone other than me should definitely test this before the bounty is awarded. (I'm aware that my reputation implies it's likely to work as advertised, but I fully agree with you that relying on reputation for this stuff is not something that should be done.)

If you like, I can post on Reddit and ask people there to test it (although I recommend having at least one developer besides myself test it prior to bounty awarding, regardless of how many non-developers test it).

Cheers.