Suggestion: Switch to Slack, Gitter, or OSS equivalent

phelix

Re: Suggestion: Switch to Slack, Gitter, or OSS equivalent

Post by phelix »

hla wrote:I'd rather stay with IRC. [...]
Well, with Gitter you can, even without the bridge.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

@Hugo, do you have an objection to setting up a bridge bot so that users can attend the meetings by either using Freenode or Gitter? Seems to me it's just expanding people's options without dividing the community.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

hla

Post by hla »

I can't see any issues with this.

phelix

Post by phelix »

We should create a sticky forum post / some info on the website about chat meetings... @biolizard Feel free to do so or if it is ok with you I will go ahead.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Consensus at the IRC meeting today was also to setup the bridge bot. Who has access to the server and could set it up? I'd rather not annoy Ryan....
phelix wrote:We should create a sticky forum post / some info on the website about chat meetings... @biolizard Feel free to do so or if it is ok with you I will go ahead.
I'll make a ticket on GitHub for adding that info to the website. It was on my mental to-do list already, but probably better to explicitly make an issue so that I don't forget. ;)

EDIT: https://github.com/namecoin/namecoin.org/issues/33

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

A concern was raised on IRC about logging. My understanding is that channel owners on Gitter can set the length for which message history is preserved. Is that correct? How long should message history be saved?

@phelix also can you make me a channel owner of the Gitter channel if you haven't already? (Same goes for any other operators of #namecoin or #namecoin-dev on Freenode who exist in the Gitter channel.)

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:A concern was raised on IRC about logging. My understanding is that channel owners on Gitter can set the length for which message history is preserved. Is that correct? How long should message history be saved?
If this is possible I have not found it yet. I don't mind the archiving. IMHO it helps transparency. With Bitcoin it turned out as an "advantage" for those who logged. I don't have a strong opinion on it, though.
@phelix also can you make me a channel owner of the Gitter channel if you haven't already? (Same goes for any other operators of #namecoin or #namecoin-dev on Freenode who exist in the Gitter channel.)
Lol, I would not know who that is. Please try if this does give you privileges: https://github.com/orgs/namecoin/teams/ ... moderators
You can then add the others.

I am a bit worried about flood attacks via Tor. Not sure how to handle this if it happened.

phelix

Post by phelix »

IRC:
If that gitter bot thing is recording us right now, we really should be booting it.
If logging scares people so badly I wonder if they should use a medium other than IRC?

Tbh I think logging is helpful. Maybe we should create a separate channel? I will also ask the gitter people whether they can turn logging off.

edit: Given that somebody could log on the other side of the bridge turning off the logging does not really make sense, does it?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:If logging scares people so badly I wonder if they should use a medium other than IRC?

Tbh I think logging is helpful. Maybe we should create a separate channel? I will also ask the gitter people whether they can turn logging off.

edit: Given that somebody could log on the other side of the bridge turning off the logging does not really make sense, does it?
I asked Gitter support a few days ago; they do not allow logging to be disabled. They said we could file a feature request for it, but the impression I got was that they were unlikely to implement it.

Generally I think using OFTC is better for privacy. They allow unregistered users, allow Tor exits, and don't log everything. Their TLS setup is a bit worse than Freenode, but we can setup a mirror bot. A Namecoin developer has volunteered to set up that bot. I've registered #namecoin and #namecoin-dev on OFTC for our use.

phelix

Post by phelix »

For what it's worth I disabled Google indexing of the Gitter archives.

Gitter certainly has some advantages but OFTC is fine with me as well.

I must admit I consider it somewhat odd that anybody would consider a public IRC channel to be private in any way. And now I will have to set up my own logging so that I can release it all in a couple of years :mrgreen: