nameGUI - an RPC frontend GUI

Forum rules
Warning !
Avoid using binary softwares from untrusted users.
Prefer compiling it yourself and verify sources.
biolizard89

Re: nameGUI - an RPC frontend GUI

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:Out now: v0.2 with locked wallet handling and instant name lookup from the "register" field.

I like how fast and responsive the name lookup is - which somewhat surprised as there is no optimization whatsoever.

One of the next work packets will be a Windows installer and config tabs for id/ and d/ ip config.
Just a reminder that I'm working on a GUI for converting id/ and d/ data into JSON. So if you're planning anything more complex than entering raw JSON, we should coordinate to avoid duplicated effort.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:Out now: v0.2 with locked wallet handling and instant name lookup from the "register" field.

I like how fast and responsive the name lookup is - which somewhat surprised as there is no optimization whatsoever.

One of the next work packets will be a Windows installer and config tabs for id/ and d/ ip config.
Just a reminder that I'm working on a GUI for converting id/ and d/ data into JSON. So if you're planning anything more complex than entering raw JSON, we should coordinate to avoid duplicated effort.
Thanks for reminding me, I might have forgotten. Do you have any code ready?
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:

I do have some code, but I'd like indolering to give some feedback/suggestions before release, since he's the usability/UI expert. If he's not able to get me feedback in the near future, I'll clean up the code myself and release (with the understanding that it's subject to change to make usability better).

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:

I do have some code, but I'd like indolering to give some feedback/suggestions before release, since he's the usability/UI expert. If he's not able to get me feedback in the near future, I'll clean up the code myself and release (with the understanding that it's subject to change to make usability better).
If you could send it to me personally up front I could take a look and see how I can integrate it. Also I have done something similar before and have quite a concrete idea how this should be structured/modularized.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:

If you could send it to me personally up front I could take a look and see how I can integrate it. Also I have done something similar before and have quite a concrete idea how this should be structured/modularized.
Ok, I'll try to get it to you in the next few days.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Just a heads-up that I'm redoing the GUI I made, so that it uses HTML for most of its layout/behavior. This should give us some benefits, e.g. the same code can be used verbatim in Namecoin-Qt, Armory, Electrum, Phelix's NameGui, and NMControl. I intend to have something posted within a few days. Thanks to indolering for chatting with me about it on IRC today and giving useful feedback.

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:Just a heads-up that I'm redoing the GUI I made, so that it uses HTML for most of its layout/behavior. This should give us some benefits, e.g. the same code can be used verbatim in Namecoin-Qt, Armory, Electrum, Phelix's NameGui, and NMControl. I intend to have something posted within a few days. Thanks to indolering for chatting with me about it on IRC today and giving useful feedback.
I am worried it will be difficult to display html. how would that work? I had a simple line-wise layout in mind with an abstracted GUI interface (one or two labels and one entry field per line).

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:Just a heads-up that I'm redoing the GUI I made, so that it uses HTML for most of its layout/behavior. This should give us some benefits, e.g. the same code can be used verbatim in Namecoin-Qt, Armory, Electrum, Phelix's NameGui, and NMControl. I intend to have something posted within a few days. Thanks to indolering for chatting with me about it on IRC today and giving useful feedback.
I am worried it will be difficult to display html. how would that work? I had a simple line-wise layout in mind with an abstracted GUI interface (one or two labels and one entry field per line).
Qt has a built-in HTML renderer (based on WebKit), which is accessible from both C++ and Python. So the same HTML should be embeddable into anything that can use Qt (including Python applications as well as Namecoin-Qt itself), as well as NMControl's web interface. This does, of course, require Qt. (I don't think that's a problem, as PyQt is pretty easy to install and should be able to be bundled with NMControl Windows releases.)

I'm also doing a simple line-based layout, but planning to do Javascript-based suggestions to the user (e.g. if the user has listed an "ns" record, suggest that they consider adding a "ds" record). The suggestions would probably be sourced from NMControl's REST API (there's been a GitHub ticket about adding that to NMControl for a while).

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:
Qt has a built-in HTML renderer (based on WebKit), which is accessible from both C++ and Python. So the same HTML should be embeddable into anything that can use Qt (including Python applications as well as Namecoin-Qt itself), as well as NMControl's web interface. This does, of course, require Qt. (I don't think that's a problem, as PyQt is pretty easy to install and should be able to be bundled with NMControl Windows releases.)

I'm also doing a simple line-based layout, but planning to do Javascript-based suggestions to the user (e.g. if the user has listed an "ns" record, suggest that they consider adding a "ds" record). The suggestions would probably be sourced from NMControl's REST API (there's been a GitHub ticket about adding that to NMControl for a while).
Sounds pretty complicated - I am not keen on implementing this for nameGUI.

It would still be nice to have the logic abstracted so it can be reused. This is what I have in mind in Python:

<frame>
<indention level 0> <Label>: <Entry>
</frame>

<next frame>
<indention level 1> <Label>: <Entry>
</frame>

Maybe an example by hovering. Label should be red if the data entered does not validate.

Structure:

GUI abstraction class for one frame
* indent
* label (normal/warning)
* entry
* example
* validation callback/hook

Class BaseFrame(GUIabstraction)
* can be stacked

Class TypeFrame(BaseFrame)
* e.g. type int, ip, email, bitmessage

Class Container
* several TypeFrames stacked/indented

Class NameSpace
* several Typeframes/Containers

Should be pretty modular and the logic is mostly separated from the GUI so it can be used with several GUI frameworks.

It might look something like this:

email broken,email@zombo.com
fingerprint F3C7642CDB237A3425E9D715ECD4DC2F59ACDD1A
: map
: : *
: : : tor wivfwn64tm3uaeig.onion
: : : ip 176.31.184.255

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

I've got something about 50% coded at the moment; the majority of the new code is in NMControl and is stuff that I was intending to code anyway for the rewritten DNS server and/or the web interface. I don't think it will be too invasive, and the Python code for accessing it from a wallet is probably less than 20 lines. I should have something posted on GitHub in a day or two.