Google Summer of Code 2015

josephbisch

Re: Google Summer of Code 2015

Post by josephbisch »

Last year the project was also to port Armory, not to create a standalone UI. The problem I see with making it a standalone UI is that you have to clearly define what that UI is expected to do by the end of GSoC.

I actually was looking at applying for the light client project. I wanted to choose something challenging and I already have some experience working with porting Armory to Namecoin, so I will learn more from the light client project. However, working on Armory would be a safer choice, because I do have experience with it, so I am more confident in my ability to complete the project successfully. Which one (light client or name support in Armory) do you think is needed the most?

I almost certainly won't be able to finish name support in Armory by the summer, but if it is removed as a potential GSoC project, I can make some progress on it before the summer. Though I don't know how much progress that will be with school.

There is a problem I see with leaving Armory as a project for GSoC and it is that Namecoin doesn't really have a mentor that is familiar with Armory. It would be unfair to the student if the student gets accepted to work on Armory and the mentor was just as unfamiliar with Armory as the student. And I can't be the official mentor if I am going to be a GSoC student this year. Obviously this isn't an issue if I apply and get accepted as the student, but there may be a better student that applies to work on Armory.

Regarding the block explorer, I was looking at Insight and it doesn't look too difficult to adapt to Namecoin's needs. Since the Armory project is only medium difficulty I might apply to work on both Insight and Armory as my project if I decide to apply for the Armory project.

What are your thoughts? Are my concerns about mentors being qualified to mentor the Armory project valid?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

domob wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:(1) We need a consensus on whether it's useful to allow voluntary encryption. Indolering and I both believe that it's useful, though not one of the highest-priority items on our agenda. Ryan said he was against it and was planning to write up why, but I don't believe he has gotten around to doing so. Last I heard Daniel was in favor, but it's been a while so I might be wrong on that.
I'm still in favour. I've been in contact with someone who basically proposed the same idea on his own. His reasoning was that he would like to store, for instance, his address in his id/ name, and then have Amazon or other shops ship to it. This would allow him to change the address in a single place when moving, without having to change it all over the web with various companies. The same goes for mobile phone number and other things. Having partial encryption allows precisely that without the need to share things publicly. NameID could, in theory, be extended to do the decryption (if the user enters the password) and hand over such details just to the selected servers on login using the OpenID protocol. I think a scheme like this makes a lot of sense. But see also (6) below.
Okay, cool. So I think we're leaning toward including this project, unless Ryan persuades us quickly.
domob wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:(2) We need requirements, expected outcomes, and a mentor for Anonymity and Taint Analysis Tools. (Ryan seems like he might be a logical mentor.)

(3) We need expected outcomes and a mentor for Renewal Keys. Ryan seems like he might be a logical mentor; Daniel might also be good.
I'm available as a mentor basically for any project, although I agree that others are probably better suited for some tasks (like things related to DNS, security and stuff like that).
Okay, I've added you for these two. Would be good to see if Ryan's available as well, since both of these projects were his suggestions.
domob wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:(4) Armory: keep or remove? If Joseph wants to work on it for GSoC, I think it's okay to keep. If Joseph is expecting to finish it before GSoC (which it sounds like he isn't?), then we should remove. Thoughts?
I suggest to keep it, or maybe replace it with a more generic "work on a standalone UI" (as it was for last year, IIRC).
Okay, we'll keep it.
domob wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:(5) Block Explorer: Who should be mentor? Daniel or Ryan maybe?
I'm available (as stated above), although I can probably mostly help with the backend stuff. But I guess that interested students will have experience with web design and layout and all that stuff anyway, so they probably mostly need help with the backend.
biolizard89 wrote:(6) It is my opinion that the file signing proposal linked in the doc will not scale, since it stores a hash of every file in the blockchain. It also makes it unfeasible for multiple parties to sign the same file. I think a system that only stores keys rather than file hashes in the blockchain makes more sense. Phelix disagrees here. Can we hammer this out?
I'm not fully decided about this one. I think that the proposal with hashes in the blockchain is very elegant, but as you point out, it is not really scalable.

A much wider-scope idea is the following: Could we add a full-blown DHT to the network itself, that can be used to store "secondary" data for names? This would allow bigger values, allow for values that are not (definitely) saved in the blockchain for eternity (might improve privacy at least a little, even though each node is, of course, free to keep a private archive if they wish) and also make things like updates faster. The DHT entries could be signed by keys linking them to ownership of a name on the blockchain, so that security of name ownership is preserved. Maybe this is a stupid idea, and it probably needs to be fleshed out. But it could be a useful idea for the future, and it could potentially be an interesting GSoC project to build a proof-of-concept implementation here.
I think Ryan proposed something similar a while back. This might be interesting. Maybe we can discuss this at the #namecoin-dev meeting Saturday?
domob wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:(7) We need a mentor for Bitmessage. I'd prefer not to be the mentor for this one. Daniel, Phelix, Ryan, are any of you good for this?
I can do the mentoring here. Seems like an obvious fit since I've done NameID and the original Bitmessage integration.
Ok cool, I'll add you.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

domob

Post by domob »

I've started with the application process (created an "organisation profile" for Namecoin so far). Before I can submit the actual application, I need a volunteer as "backup administrator" for the organisation - someone please speak up with the Google account I can associate. ;) (You can also send it by PM or encrypted mail if you prefer not to disclose it publicly.)

Furthermore, here's what I have so far as the "organisation description":
Namecoin is a peer-to-peer network, which uses Bitcoin's blockchain technology to create a trustless, secure and decentralised key/value database. Despite the conjecture known as "Zooko's triangle", that a naming system can only have two of those three properties, Namecoin is a solution that does, indeed, possess all three.

This makes it particularly valuable and useful for a variety of applications. A distributed DNS system (for the .bit pseudo-TLD) is the first and mostly known such application. .bit domains are resistant to censorship and seizure by ICANN / governments. As an extra bonus, domain owners can also specify their server's TLS certificate fingerprints - this creates a system that is independent of the various problems inherent with trust in CAs, and which is secure as long as the domain owner keeps their private key secure. No trust in any central authority is necessary.

Another application is, for instance, online identities (think of OpenID where everyone provides their own account) including secure exchange of cryptographic keys (e. g., OpenPGP). See https://nameid.org/ for an implementation in this direction. There also exist various other ideas, like decentralised Torrent directories, file signatures and others, which are yet to develop.
Feel free to let me know about suggestions for improvements!
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

josephbisch

Post by josephbisch »

I think the description looks good. I just noticed some wording that appeared awkward to me. I think "the first and mostly known such application" should be "the first and most widely known of such applications".

domob

Post by domob »

josephbisch wrote:I think the description looks good. I just noticed some wording that appeared awkward to me. I think "the first and mostly known such application" should be "the first and most widely known of such applications".
Oh yes, that's what I was thinking about when writing it. ;) Thanks! I'll fix it.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY

domob

Post by domob »

Something else: We need a 256x256 logo. Can someone please provide me with a suitably scaled PNG version of the "white-on-blue N" that's now also on the forum? Thanks!

phelix

Post by phelix »

domob wrote:Something else: We need a 256x256 logo. Can someone please provide me with a suitably scaled PNG version of the "white-on-blue N" that's now also on the forum? Thanks!
--> eMail
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Should we list #namecoin, #namecoin-dev, or both as the IRC channel on the GSoC wiki page? Right now it lists only #namecoin; I would personally vote for #namecoin-dev or both.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:Should we list #namecoin, #namecoin-dev, or both as the IRC channel on the GSoC wiki page? Right now it lists only #namecoin; I would personally vote for #namecoin-dev or both.
+1
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

domob

Post by domob »

Unfortunately, we were again rejected:
Thank you for submitting Namecoin's application to Google Summer of Code 2015. Unfortunately, we were unable to accept your organization's application at this time. Every year we receive many more applications than we are able to accommodate, and we would encourage you to reapply for future instances of the program.

If you would like some general feedback on why your organization was not accepted, please consider attending the IRC meeting in #gsoc on Freenode on Friday, 6 March, 2015 at 16:00 UTC. Please note that the feedback meeting will be limited to the first 50 organizations to queue up (queuing in the channel will begin at 15:30 UTC). You are also more than welcome to just email the OSPO team at ospoteam@gmail.com directly for email feedback about your application as well.
Anyone motivated to be there in IRC?