[ANN] Namecoin v0.3.76 for Mac OS 10.9 and 10.10

Namecoin, NMControl
cassini

[ANN] Namecoin v0.3.76 for Mac OS 10.9 and 10.10

Post by cassini »

Always backup your wallet.dat file before running a new software version.

http://namecoin.info/files/Namecoin-Qt. ... 8dfe28.zip
SHA256 (zip file): 4ac23e1efdd7b735c40faddf8a7e1820f5837a1e2425748d4016bc4ce8be7378

Works with all variants of Mac OS 10.9.x (Mavericks) and 10.10 (Yosemite).

If there is an error message "can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer" then you need to adjust the Security&Privacy settings in System Preferences.
(Discussions on whether we should apply for an Apple Developer ID haven't come to a final conclusion, yet.)

Known issues:
  • After cmd-Q (quit program) several mutexLock warning messages appear in the debug.log file. Same problem as in Huntercoin client.
  • Missing "show/hide" menu item (design flaw inherited from a former Bitcoin-Qt GUI).
  • During the initial synchronization phase (i.e. Namecoin-Qt runs for the first time on a machine) the Energy Saver, Screen Saver and Auto-Logout options can interfere with the internal Qt setup.
    For best results turn all three features off until synchronized:
    • System Preferences → Energy Saver → Power Adapter (assuming the Power Adapter is connected to your Mac) → Computer Sleep: Never
    • System Preferences → Desktop & Screen Saver → Screen Saver → Start after: Never
    • System Preferences → Security & Privacy → General, then deactivate ''Require password ... after sleep begins''

Big thanks to Maxpower whose hints helped overcome the quirks and limitations of the Qt deployment tool. :-)
Last edited by cassini on Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

phelix

Re: [ANN] Namecoin v0.3.76 Beta Build for Mac OS 10.9

Post by phelix »

Nice! Does this contain the daemon as well or is it only the GUI version? I know you had the daemon up and running a while ago.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

cassini

Re: [ANN] Namecoin v0.3.76 Beta Build for Mac OS 10.9 and 10

Post by cassini »

phelix wrote:Nice! Does this contain the daemon as well or is it only the GUI version? I know you had the daemon up and running a while ago.
Well, the zip file doesn't contain a namecoind executable, of course, but Namecoin-Qt.app also recognizes the parameter "-server". It then responds to RPC calls.
As usual, this requires a valid .conf file, e.g.

Code: Select all

rpcuser=YOUR_FANCY_RPCUSERNAME
rpcpassword=YOUR_FANCY_RPCPASSWORD
rpcport=8336
Namecoin-Qt looks for a .conf file in ~/Library/Application\ Support/Namecoin/
(override with parameter "-conf=", see example below).

Open Terminal.app, cd into the directory containing your Namecoin-Qt.app, then type:

Namecoin-Qt.app/Contents/MacOS/Namecoin-Qt -conf=./namecoin.conf -server
Wait until synchronized, then issue your RPCs, e.g.:

curl --data-binary '{"jsonrpc": "1.0", "id": "mycurltest", "method": "name_show", "params": ["d/wav"] }' -u YOUR_FANCY_RPCUSERNAME:YOUR_FANCY_RPCPASSWORD 127.0.0.1:8336
Last edited by cassini on Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

phelix

Post by phelix »

How is this coming along? Any test reports?

cassini

Post by cassini »

phelix wrote:How is this coming along? Any test reports?
I received one report so far stating it's working great on his machine (tested both name and payment operations).

phelix

Post by phelix »

cassini wrote:
phelix wrote:How is this coming along? Any test reports?
I received one report so far stating it's working great on his machine (tested both name and payment operations).
Sounds good. If you think it's ready we should release it.

DB version is 4.8.30 so the wallet file format is compatible?

Can you package the daemon and QT files?

cassini

Post by cassini »

phelix wrote:Sounds good. If you think it's ready we should release it.
What is the current release workflow? Some of the devs weren't too happy with my 0.3.75 release pull request, https://github.com/namecoin/namecoin.info/pull/53/files
phelix wrote:DB version is 4.8.30 so the wallet file format is compatible?
Yes, it is 4.8.30.
phelix wrote:Can you package the daemon and QT files?
Do we really need a precompiled namecoind for OSX? I faintly remember it was you who made some remarks on the average Mac user preferring GUIs. Either way, those who really need a namecoind can always compile themselves (the relevant wiki is up-to-date). Furthermore, what do you need a namecoind for when you can have your ./Namecoin-Qt -server and eat it ;)

phelix

Post by phelix »

cassini wrote:
phelix wrote:Sounds good. If you think it's ready we should release it.
What is the current release workflow? Some of the devs weren't too happy with my 0.3.75 release pull request, https://github.com/namecoin/namecoin.info/pull/53/files
phelix wrote:DB version is 4.8.30 so the wallet file format is compatible?
Yes, it is 4.8.30.
phelix wrote:Can you package the daemon and QT files?
Do we really need a precompiled namecoind for OSX? I faintly remember it was you who made some remarks on the average Mac user preferring GUIs. Either way, those who really need a namecoind can always compile themselves (the relevant wiki is up-to-date). Furthermore, what do you need a namecoind for when you can have your ./Namecoin-Qt -server and eat it ;)
On windows for all serious coins there is always namecoind and namecoin-qt. Is that different on OSX?

cassini

Re: [ANN] Namecoin v0.3.76 for Mac OS 10.9

Post by cassini »

phelix wrote:On windows for all serious coins there is always namecoind and namecoin-qt. Is that different on OSX?
The install image at bitcoin.org, for instance, cointains only the Bitcoin-Qt.app. There is no officially released bitcoind for OSX.

phelix

Re: [ANN] Namecoin v0.3.76 for Mac OS 10.9

Post by phelix »

cassini wrote:
phelix wrote:On windows for all serious coins there is always namecoind and namecoin-qt. Is that different on OSX?
The install image at bitcoin.org, for instance, cointains only the Bitcoin-Qt.app. There is no officially released bitcoind for OSX.
lol. ok then.