Namecoin.org

pitbull

Namecoin.org

Post by pitbull »

Why are you guys still using namecoin.info? And still not using a TLS certificate? I gave domob the account to generate a new cert for namecoin.org. It's valid for 5 years after all. I'm a bit offended, it seems the only underlying goal was to centralize/maintain control over something that should be decentralized. Sure the webpage looks pretty now, but it's still lacking a ton of info. And laughably, Mac OS **still** says coming soon! Put a damn binary up or change it to "Not available". I'm dissapointed in myself for selling you the domain. Would you like a refund? I was building something there. You are squatting it.

signup292

Post by signup292 »

Last edited by signup292 on Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

jonasbits

Re: Namecoin.org

Post by jonasbits »

About OSX, there is a build now from https://github.com/okTurtles/namecoin/tree/macosx

But I want the Gitian build process to work, not there yet.

About .org, I also vote for forwarding traffic. Last poster said it best.

About TLS, namecoin.org is providing a star (*.namecoin.info) cert and namecoin.info is complaining about no issuer chain, thats messed up.
My Namecoin address: NC3HGHk527xuWZBgMdGJ2GxjpRSw8D4oA6

sudoquai

Post by sudoquai »

I would like decentralization and free speech as well. But good.
NameID: id/sudo.wonder >>> Namecoin @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/namecoin.org

phelix

Post by phelix »

pitbull wrote:Why are you guys still using namecoin.info? And still not using a TLS certificate?
Thank you for bringing this up. I can't believe we did not get this done myself. For the record I created this a couple of days ago: https://github.com/namecoin/meta/issues/3

Ryan wanted to do it a long time ago but I think he can't find the time.
I gave domob the account to generate a new cert for namecoin.org. It's valid for 5 years after all.
Hmm... interesting maybe we should just use that ::) . Is it a wildcard certificate?
I'm a bit offended, it seems the only underlying goal was to centralize/maintain control over something that should be decentralized.
Sorry, it is the most official place, it should be in the hands of the main team. We did not know you, trust is difficult on the internet.
Sure the webpage looks pretty now, but it's still lacking a ton of info. And laughably, Mac OS **still** says coming soon! Put a damn binary up or change it to "Not available". I'm dissapointed in myself for selling you the domain. Would you like a refund? I was building something there.
Pull requests and more appreciated. Stop ranting and help.
You are squatting it.
I would not go so far.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

drllau

Post by drllau »

namecoin and others of its type tend to be community driven processes and thus not really suited to a limited stock company structure which is all about risk taking/minimisation. However, there are alternative forms such as L3C (low profit corporation) or UK's Community Interest Corporation. The main advantage is the ability to sue (ie participate in global dispute resolution processes) in own name and not as individuals.

The major problem is that the presumption in the pre-bitcoin era is that there are centralised registries because of the ability to organise and coordinate economic activities (cf russia central planning). But in an emergent system, any unique resource, whether domain name or certificate is not designed to be shared. However, I do point out there are mechanism to protect communal property

http://www.simontbraun.eu/en/news/news- ... n-of-proof

but they just need to be combined with mechanisms to enforce, whether by social peer pressure or more litigious means.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

pitbull wrote:Why are you guys still using namecoin.info? And still not using a TLS certificate? I gave domob the account to generate a new cert for namecoin.org. It's valid for 5 years after all. I'm a bit offended, it seems the only underlying goal was to centralize/maintain control over something that should be decentralized. Sure the webpage looks pretty now, but it's still lacking a ton of info. And laughably, Mac OS **still** says coming soon! Put a damn binary up or change it to "Not available". I'm dissapointed in myself for selling you the domain. Would you like a refund? I was building something there. You are squatting it.
Hi pitbull,

First off, sorry for taking so long to reply to this thread... midterms suck.

I agree that progress has unfortunately been a lot slower on the website front than any of us would have liked. We would *love* to get some pull requests for the website on GitHub. Please feel free to talk to us about improvements that could be made -- I'm personally in the IRC a lot of the time, and I'm always happy to talk with you. We really appreciate the effort you have made for advancing Namecoin, and I hope you can understand that our motivation in desiring to have direct control of namecoin.org was not in any way based in hostility toward you. Trust is difficult in this kind of field, unfortunately, and the nature of Namecoin means that we have to be careful -- much more careful than we would like to be the case. I have no objection to involving you in the website development -- quite the contrary, it would be awesome if you're interested in helping.

Thanks,
-Jeremy
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5