What to label github.com/namecoin/namecoin

Namecoin, NMControl
indolering

What to label github.com/namecoin/namecoin

Post by indolering »

The main Namecoin repo is in maintenance mode but it isn't marked as such. Others have wasted their time on futile projects, with only a half-dozen or fewer core team members, losing a new volunteer in this manner is akin to losing 15% of our capacity. I think we should put a notice on the main readme for namecoin/namecoin that the repo is in maintenance mode.

Of course, this doesn't solve the question of what should be done with the repo in the long term. I would like repackage it as a shell of installing the NMControl middleware and Libcoin, possibly with them as sub-repos.

But even I don't really care for that suggestion, it makes the project seem less meaty and there may be a Bitcoin rebase in the future. I would like to hear the opinions of others.

BUT PLEASE weigh in the labeling issue first! Labeling the current repo as what it is shouldn't be blocked by indecision on what what should be done in the long term!

Meh, that's a question for a new thread.
Last edited by indolering on Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

biolizard89

Re: What to do with github.com/namecoin/namecoin

Post by biolizard89 »

indolering wrote:The main Namecoin repo is in maintenance mode but it isn't marked as such. Others have wasted their time on futile projects, with only a half-dozen or fewer core team members, losing a new volunteer in this manner is akin to losing 15% of our capacity. I think we should put a notice on the main readme for namecoin/namecoin that the repo is in maintenance mode.

Of course, this doesn't solve the question of what should be done with the repo in the long term. I would like repackage it as a shell of installing the NMControl middleware and Libcoin, possibly with them as sub-repos.

But even I don't really care for that suggestion, it makes the project seem less meaty and there may be a Bitcoin rebase in the future. I would like to hear the opinions of others.

BUT PLEASE weigh in the labeling issue first! Labeling the current repo as what it is shouldn't be blocked by indecision on what what should be done in the long term!
I support labeling namecoin/namecoin as in maintenance mode; it's frustrating to have new coders working on a codebase that will be scrapped. How about this wording, at the top of the readme in bold:
This repo is in maintenance mode; development effort is being focused on rebasing the Namecoin codebase on the libcoin and Bitcoin Core codebases. If you're a developer and you'd like to help, please check out one of the following repos: (link to libcoin and Namecoin Core repos)
I support a separate project to bundle Namecoin-Qt, namecoind, NMControl, FreeSpeechMe, ANTPY, DyName, and any other relevant projects in a single installer/download. However, I'm against using the namecoin/namecoin repo for this; I would suggest namecoin/namecoin-bundle. Anyone who wants to talk about that, please start a new thread so that we can keep this discussion on topic.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Re: What to label github.com/namecoin/namecoin

Post by phelix »

There are still important protocol changes coming up with this version. Call it "maintenance mode" might give a wrong signal to users and miners regarding their update motivation.
Technical
Source
https://github.com/namecoin/namecoin
Please discuss any significant change requests on the forum before investing a lot of effort into implementation.
Building
?
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

indolering

Post by indolering »

phelix wrote:There are still important protocol changes coming up with this version. Call it "maintenance mode" might give a wrong signal to users and miners regarding their update motivation.
With Domob starting on the new rebase, I don't see why we need to mince words but I'm fine with whatever you are comfortable with.

domob

Post by domob »

indolering wrote:With Domob starting on the new rebase, I don't see why we need to mince words but I'm fine with whatever you are comfortable with.
Just to make that point clear from the start this time (and not have you expect something else): I've started, but I have no idea how long it will take me. Be patient, and at some point in time I will be finished. But please don't take this as "ditch the old code now and tell everyone we'll have the rebase next month". I think it makes sense to do some more updates to the old code as well (for instance, the dust spam blocking).
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

indolering

Post by indolering »

domob wrote:
indolering wrote:With Domob starting on the new rebase, I don't see why we need to mince words but I'm fine with whatever you are comfortable with.
Just to make that point clear from the start this time (and not have you expect something else): I've started, but I have no idea how long it will take me. Be patient, and at some point in time I will be finished. But please don't take this as "ditch the old code now and tell everyone we'll have the rebase next month". I think it makes sense to do some more updates to the old code as well (for instance, the dust spam blocking).
I'm okay with whatever wording you feel is appropriate, as long as we get something up there sooner rather than later.