Funding the libcoin rebase a bit

indolering

Re: Funding the libcoin rebase a bit

Post by indolering »

Here are the links to the Bounty Source bounties:
Domob, I'm guessing you can give a reliable estimate for the read-only RPC calls ticket and the dust-spam ticket. I understand you are not clear on the Testnet and we probably need to wait to hear back from Khal. Is that correct? Is there anything else we need for the lite-client functionality?

If you put in a semi-realistic cost and time estimates for those bounties, I can write a blogpost updating people as to what's going on with Libcoin and start fundraising for it.

I'm worried that if we go fundraising for the mainline rebase first it will be much harder to fund this project, even though a lightweight client is probably more impactful to Namecoin's utility as a naming system ATM. It will also be easier for me to get individual donations for these smaller tickets than the entire $4K in one go for the mainline rebase.

If we can execute well on this, we will also have more credibility in future fundraisers.

I also have a ticket for Name Management (name_new, name_firstupdate, and name_update). Do you want to try putting in a wild-estimate for that? We can revise it later if you run into problems.
Last edited by indolering on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

domob

Post by domob »

indolering wrote:Domob, I'm guessing you can give a reliable estimate for the read-only RPC calls ticket and the dust-spam ticket. I understand you are not clear on the Testnet and we probably need to wait to hear back from Khal. Is that correct? Is there anything else we need for the lite-client functionality?
Done. Note that I do not know for sure how "light" the client really gets by solving the dust spam - also, in addition to solving it in namecoind (which the discussion here is all about), Michael needs to implement the softfork also for libcoin. I think this should be quick for him, though, and we can discuss it after we have a proposed patch for namecoind. (I'll work on it.)
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

indolering

Post by indolering »

domob wrote:Done.
The dust spam ticket is the only ticket with a bounty, the and it's only $10....
domob wrote:Note that I do not know for sure how "light" the client really gets by solving the dust spam -
It should get much brighter after we remove the dirt. <cue sad trombone>
domob wrote: also, in addition to solving it in namecoind (which the discussion here is all about), Michael needs to implement the softfork also for libcoin. I think this should be quick for him, though, and we can discuss it after we have a proposed patch for namecoind. (I'll work on it.)
Should there be another dust-spam ticket for Libcoin?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

indolering wrote:
The dust spam ticket is the only ticket with a bounty, the and it's only $10....
https://www.bountysource.com/issues/316 ... -rpc-calls ; domob listed a goal of $100.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

indolering

Post by indolering »

biolizard89 wrote:
indolering wrote:
https://www.bountysource.com/issues/316 ... -rpc-calls ; domob listed a goal of $100.
Mhh, I must have misread it.

indolering

Post by indolering »

Still, $100 is only ~hour worth of work. Are you sure your not just being overly nice here domob? You already contribute for free, don't low ball us here.

To be an effective incentive, it needs to be equivalent to whatever contracting gigs you have in the pike. We want to pay you enough so you don't have to work on other stuff.

Ohh, the RPC calls are only $100 because they are only SQL queries.

Is the dust-spam thing only $10 because you already have the code for it? Could you write a patch for Libcoin as well?

domob

Post by domob »

indolering wrote:Ohh, the RPC calls are only $100 because they are only SQL queries.
Yes. Also, I think at least as a first step, $100 would already be much better than nothing. If we can find a sponsor quickly, I can always tackle larger projects with higher cost. ;) Of course, the estimate is much discounted with respect to what I would ask for my work on a project which doesn't interest me directly.
indolering wrote:Is the dust-spam thing only $10 because you already have the code for it? Could you write a patch for Libcoin as well?
No, I don't yet have any code - but I think it will be relatively easy to do. $10 is still discounted just like the RPC calls, but I think it could be a first step into the direction of BountySource funding. Feel free to put up more money if you can ackquire it. ;)

Regarding libcoin: I could look into it, but I guess that Michael could do it in 1/10 of the time. Depends on how he responds to our request when we show him the patch for namecoind, I guess.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY

indolering

Post by indolering »

Okay, I'm going to unstrike the following:

To be an effective incentive, it needs to be equivalent to whatever contracting gigs you have in the pike. We want to pay you enough so you don't have to work on other stuff.

If you set it at $100 and then I ask people to donate, they will STOP donating at $100. Set the price to the equivalent of your standard contracting gig. It's better to try to raise more than that and fail and give you a partial as a consolation prize than to raise the bare minimum. : P

domob

Post by domob »

indolering wrote:Okay, I'm going to unstrike the following:

If you set it at $100 and then I ask people to donate, they will STOP donating at $100. Set the price to the equivalent of your standard contracting gig. It's better to try to raise more than that and fail and give you a partial as a consolation prize than to raise the bare minimum. : P
I understand what you are saying. ;) However, I still think we should start with that for now - I would be more than happy to implement the two "easy" commands name_filter and name_scan for $100. For future work I will set the goal higher (to a more realistic "full payment" value) if we can find enough funding this time.

foglight

Post by foglight »

i would like to put up this bounty. but if it's ok, i'm just sending straight to you domob.

$100/625(bitstamp price) / 0.00288 (nmc/btc) = ~55.55555555 nmc

40486785fdcb5ca6e03ba1df04c398c312318b0761c35b050bbaf72fc607293f

good luck!