id/ format

phelix

Re: id/ format

Post by phelix »

domob wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:
domob wrote:Ok, I'm fine with disallowing spaces if everyone else thinks this is best. But I wouldn't want the underscore, either. I think in that case, names like "id/firstname-lastname" are best, i. e., use a dash. This makes it consistent with d/. Also, IMHO it looks nicer than dashes. ;)
The advantage of the underscore over the hyphen is that the underscore is allowed in an identifier in most languages, while the hyphen is often used as an operator. But, I don't feel that strongly about that one, particularly since id's can be invalid identifiers anyway since they can start with a numeral, so a hyphen is fine if you prefer it.
That's true, but my reasoning is that (besides underscore looking bad in my opinion) IDs actually aren't supposed to be identifiers in some programming language, but "names". And the closest existing thing to "names" that makes sense, is for me the DNS (either existing or d/). For domains, dash is preferred over underscore. Besides, allowing "-" means that IDN names can be used in theory, if we want to support that in the future. (Although this may of course introduce problems with similar looking characters. How's that solved with domain names and phishing, BTW?)

If everyone agrees, I'll update both my pull request for "send-to-name" and the id/ wiki page. So, to summarise, we want to allow [a-z0-9-] as characters in id/ names, right? Nothing else, and no spaces.
Right. Also no "-" as first/last or "--"

In the end security comes down to correctly reading a word. To make this as simple as possible these rules should also go for domain names IMHO. Note that my native language does have some fancy characters but I just don't want anybody to be able to go fishing with kräken.bit and the like.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

virtual_master

Post by virtual_master »

I still remember in 2000 I was working by a company and somebody created on the file server a directory with some non alpha-numeric characters(space was also there) in Windows 2000. Every windows computer which accessed that directory has crashed.
From 6 system administrators not a single one was able to remove the directory, only with reformatting the hard-disk.
We had a meeting where it was told us not to use this new feature of using non-alphanumeric characters in directory and file names because the system will crash and otherwise there is no possibility to restrict their use only with self-control.
In the mean time windows works with other characters also but they are still some related security problems also.
And it is a company with over 100 billion $ market value behind it.
It is not sure that using such characters will cause problems by Namecoin but it is unpredictable and the problems could appear later also.
http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

domob wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:
domob wrote:Ok, I'm fine with disallowing spaces if everyone else thinks this is best. But I wouldn't want the underscore, either. I think in that case, names like "id/firstname-lastname" are best, i. e., use a dash. This makes it consistent with d/. Also, IMHO it looks nicer than dashes. ;)
The advantage of the underscore over the hyphen is that the underscore is allowed in an identifier in most languages, while the hyphen is often used as an operator. But, I don't feel that strongly about that one, particularly since id's can be invalid identifiers anyway since they can start with a numeral, so a hyphen is fine if you prefer it.
That's true, but my reasoning is that (besides underscore looking bad in my opinion) IDs actually aren't supposed to be identifiers in some programming language, but "names". And the closest existing thing to "names" that makes sense, is for me the DNS (either existing or d/). For domains, dash is preferred over underscore. Besides, allowing "-" means that IDN names can be used in theory, if we want to support that in the future. (Although this may of course introduce problems with similar looking characters. How's that solved with domain names and phishing, BTW?)

If everyone agrees, I'll update both my pull request for "send-to-name" and the id/ wiki page. So, to summarise, we want to allow [a-z0-9-] as characters in id/ names, right? Nothing else, and no spaces.
Agreed. I also agree with phelix's comment; hyphens should be subject to the same requirements that spaces are now.

I don't recall details for how web browsers deal with homograph phishing, but I think they blacklist any domain which includes characters from more than one language.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

domob

Post by domob »

I've updated the wikipage now. Note that disallowing double dashes prevents IDN names, but I can live with that for now. They don't seem to be too much in demand for now anyway, and we can revise the decision later. Please, can someone with the right permissions (however that is handled) mark the wiki page as "verified" (or whatever it is)?

I'll update the pull request shortly.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

tosh0

Post by tosh0 »

no spaces should be allowed for registration, just like there are no spaces on urls and specially domain names.it should be just like email.
now the litecoin guys are scratching their heads to use this feature: send coins to a short name.

now the question is: when someone clicks nmc://domob what program opens the link and what it does.

Is there a way to convert nmc://name to nmc://address or that shows something that is click-able and open the program to send coins?

or maybe i'm ahead of my time and there's no program that supports nmc:// just like blockchain.info supports [url]bitcoin://1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm[/url] ??

Shouldn't nmc://domob@namecoin open a namecoin address and nmc://domob@bitcoin open a bitcoin address, and so on...??

Shouldn't nmc://nameid.bit open http://nameid.org if the url field exist on the name? etc etc??
NMC: more stable than BTC!

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

tosh0 wrote:no spaces should be allowed for registration, just like there are no spaces on urls and specially domain names.it should be just like email.
now the litecoin guys are scratching their heads to use this feature: send coins to a short name.

now the question is: when someone clicks nmc://domob what program opens the link and what it does.

Is there a way to convert nmc://name to nmc://address or that shows something that is click-able and open the program to send coins?

or maybe i'm ahead of my time and there's no program that supports nmc:// just like blockchain.info supports [url]bitcoin://1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm[/url] ??

Shouldn't nmc://domob@namecoin open a namecoin address and nmc://domob@bitcoin open a bitcoin address, and so on...??

Shouldn't nmc://nameid.bit open http://nameid.org if the url field exist on the name? etc etc??
There's a GitHub issue for this at https://github.com/namecoin/nmcontrol/issues/35 . Might be good to post ideas there.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Post by phelix »

domob wrote:I've updated the wikipage now. Note that disallowing double dashes prevents IDN names, but I can live with that for now. They don't seem to be too much in demand for now anyway, and we can revise the decision later. Please, can someone with the right permissions (however that is handled) mark the wiki page as "verified" (or whatever it is)?

Are names starting with numbers prohibited now? Like id/1212sdaf ? I don't mind these.

About the URI schemes: I suggest to use "namecoin:" for payments just like "bitcoin:" maybe with the addition that a name can be used instead of an address. This would be on the client side. And "nmc:" registered to NMControl for information display.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:
domob wrote:I've updated the wikipage now. Note that disallowing double dashes prevents IDN names, but I can live with that for now. They don't seem to be too much in demand for now anyway, and we can revise the decision later. Please, can someone with the right permissions (however that is handled) mark the wiki page as "verified" (or whatever it is)?

Are names starting with numbers prohibited now? Like id/1212sdaf ? I don't mind these.

About the URI schemes: I suggest to use "namecoin:" for payments just like "bitcoin:" maybe with the addition that a name can be used instead of an address. This would be on the client side. And "nmc:" registered to NMControl for information display.
I would be concerned that using namecoin: and nmc: for different things would confuse users, which isn't a good thing when dealing with money. (Might be good to spin off a dedicated thread for that.)

domob

Post by domob »

phelix wrote:

No, I think they are allowed. (But look at the regex to be sure what exactly is allowed and what not. It should be the same in the code as on the id/ wiki page.)
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

tosh0

Post by tosh0 »

thanks, i reorganized my thoughts and posted on https://github.com/namecoin/nmcontrol/issues/35
i just hope it ends up being user friendly (memorable addresses) and interacts with namecoin without having to do much configuration...
NMC: more stable than BTC!