PRIORITY: MAC and ANDROID WALLETS [thread moderated]

traister

Re: PRIORITY: MAC and ANDROID WALLETS

Post by traister »

kurt wrote:Android is a must have ! sure there are important things that need doing first

Could we not set some goals and vote on them ?

Just an idea

1- android wallet by 2015
2- Ios wallet by 2016
3- skin-able wallet by 2016 etc etc.

Great charts. This wasnt even any of my motivation when making these posts.. But now you are showing why these wallets and keeping up to date is a must. Keep up with the times.. or die out. Companies like Kodak learned this the hard way.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

domob wrote:
snailbrain wrote:
kurt wrote:Android is a must have !!!!
someone (frictionlesscoin?) - took 300+ nmc (i think) from donations to build one, he never did..
I suggest that those that donated post on his threads on bitcointalk to either send the coins back or give an update.

it was for currency use only.
I basically agree that "Android is a must have" - but for me (I realise that this is a matter of personal preference, though) the priority is not a currency-only client but instead a client that can, at least, read the name/value database. This can then be used for a lot of stuff, like .bit browsing on Android (including .bit to .onion with Orbot), identity sign-in or messaging apps based on id/. Note that if libcoin's light-weight implementation is fully working, we should be almost there already; name_show (and recently also name_history) work on libcoin.

However, if someone would be interested in a currency-only wallet (e. g., an extension to BitcoinJ to handle the Namecoin blockchain), I most definitely welcome their efforts. In particular, because even a currency-only tool would have to deal with name transactions to validate the blockchain, so it would probablly be easy to add name/value support on top of it later. (See libcoin, which is presumably intended by Kraken also as a currency-only library, but it was easy to extend to retrieve name/value pairs.)
You don't have to deal with name transactions in any way to validate the blockchain. As far as I know, name scripts are perfectly valid Bitcoin scripts, so blockchain validation will continue to work with just the Bitcoin rules (unless there's something I'm unaware of).
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Post by phelix »

domob wrote:
snailbrain wrote:
kurt wrote:Android is a must have !!!!
someone (frictionlesscoin?) - took 300+ nmc (i think) from donations to build one, he never did..
I suggest that those that donated post on his threads on bitcointalk to either send the coins back or give an update.

it was for currency use only.
I basically agree that "Android is a must have" - but for me (I realise that this is a matter of personal preference, though) the priority is not a currency-only client but instead a client that can, at least, read the name/value database. This can then be used for a lot of stuff, like .bit browsing on Android (including .bit to .onion with Orbot), identity sign-in or messaging apps based on id/. Note that if libcoin's light-weight implementation is fully working, we should be almost there already; name_show (and recently also name_history) work on libcoin.

However, if someone would be interested in a currency-only wallet (e. g., an extension to BitcoinJ to handle the Namecoin blockchain), I most definitely welcome their efforts. In particular, because even a currency-only tool would have to deal with name transactions to validate the blockchain, so it would probablly be easy to add name/value support on top of it later. (See libcoin, which is presumably intended by Kraken also as a currency-only library, but it was easy to extend to retrieve name/value pairs.)
Well, resolving domains on Android is a whole different story and I is much more important than an Android wallet.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

sudoquai

Re: PRIORITY: MAC and ANDROID WALLETS [thread moderated]

Post by sudoquai »

Hello,

i want to mention that i've hired a professional team realizing the Namecoin Wallet for Android.

Development already started at Monday 19.05.2014 and will be based on the wellknown Bitcoin Wallet for Android by Andreas Schildbach (https://github.com/schildbach/bitcoin-wallet)

After my finishing payment to the developer team, the sourcecode will be released as Open Source on Github.

They are several reasons, which speak for the implementation of a Namecoin Wallet for Android:

* Android's market share is nearly 50% compared to all other Consumer Operating Systems worldwide (Please note the attached Infographics below)
* Significantly wider usage of Namecoin
* Windows is vulnerable to Virus / Trojan attacks
* Linux is immune to Virus / Trojan attacks, but has only a minor market share at the moment (i think around 2%)
* I don't know about the status of the OSX Wallet (reproducable build, sourcecode and signed binary), but imho very important due to it's market share, like Phelix mentioned 11%. http://namecoin.org says: "OSX coming soon"
* Namecoiner are able to keep their NMC mobile and secure (Android is based on Linux)
* Mobile Payment of NMC possible
* New developer with new hard skills entering Namecoin Development
* Increasing competitiveness to projects like NXT and Bitshares, as they have commonalities to the Namecoin project
* Several people indicated the need of an Namecoin Wallet for Android: https://www.mail-archive.com/namecoin-d ... 00122.html, http://www.reddit.com/r/Namecoin/commen ... r_android/, http://www.reddit.com/r/Namecoin/commen ... r_android/,

The first stage of this Android Wallet will offer send/receive of NMC only, to keep the development complexity on a low level. Mentionable and thinkable for the second stage is integrating /ID namespace, Ported solutions like OpenID/OneName and last but not least .BIT domains.

Namecoin is a wide ecosystem of different applications, which are built on top of the Namecoin Blockchain and the intention of this Wallet is to give the Namecoin project additional value.

Namecoin is predestined as a payment system / currency. Due to it's nature as a data storage for systems mentioned above, Namecoin as a currency offers an intrinsic value, which could help to raise the value of NMC significantly and keep the price more stable compared to Bitcoin. For example a nice feature would be the use of /ID namespace to pay to human readable names like "domob", "phelix" and "snailbrain"

I would like to invite everybody interested in this project: Your contributions to the sourcecode, code review and betatesting are very welcome and appreaciated.

All members helping to realize Namecoin Wallet for Android hope to fullfill with this Wallet a big community need. Of course you can donate as well if you like to support this project.

My plan is to share the donations for extending features of this Wallet. If you think you can help with this project just mention it :)

Please note:

This is NOT an official announcement yet - its more a quick overview of the project. I would like to open a seperate thread for Namecoin Wallet on Android, which is collecting additional information

Please excuse a potential delay of my answers because of my holiday preparations, job work and the additional work for Namecoin Wallet of Android.

Best Regards,

Sudo

Attachment "Market share of operating systems worldwide":

NameID: id/sudo.wonder >>> Namecoin @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/namecoin.org

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

sudoquai wrote:Hello,

i want to mention that i've hired a professional team realizing the Namecoin Wallet for Android.

Development already started at Monday 19.05.2014 and will be based on the wellknown Bitcoin Wallet for Android by Andreas Schildbach (https://github.com/schildbach/bitcoin-wallet)

After my finishing payment to the developer team, the sourcecode will be released on Github.

They are several reasons, which speak for the implementation of a Namecoin Wallet for Android:

* Android's market share is nearly 50% compared to all other Consumer Operating Systems worldwide (Please note the attached Infographics below)
* Windows is vulnerable to Virus / Trojan attacks
* Linux is immune to Virus / Trojan attacks, but has only a minor market share at the moment (i think around 2%)
* I don't know about the status of the OSX Wallet (reproducable build, sourcecode and signed binary), but imho very important due to it's market share, like Phelix mentioned 11%. http://namecoin.org says: "OSX coming soon"
* Namecoiner are able to keep their NMC mobile and secure (Android is based on Linux)
* Mobile Payment of NMC possible
* New developer with new hard skills entering Namecoin Development
* Increasing competitiveness to projects like NXT and Bitshares, as they have commonalities to the Namecoin project
* Several people indicated the need of an Namecoin Wallet for Android: https://www.mail-archive.com/namecoin-d ... 00122.html, http://www.reddit.com/r/Namecoin/commen ... r_android/, http://www.reddit.com/r/Namecoin/commen ... r_android/,

The first stage of this Android Wallet will offer send/receive of NMC only, to keep the development complexity on a low level. Mentionable and thinkable for the second stage is integrating /ID namespace, Ported solutions like OpenID/OneName and last but not least .BIT domains.

Namecoin is a wide ecosystem of different applications, which are built on top of the Namecoin Blockchain and the intention of this Wallet is to give the Namecoin project additional value.

Namecoin is predestined as a payment system / currency. Due to it's nature as a data storage for systems mentioned above, Namecoin as a currency offers an intrinsic value, which could help to raise the value of NMC significantly and keep the price more stable compared to Bitcoin. For example a nice feature would be the use of /ID namespace to pay to human readable names like "domob", "phelix" and "snailbrain"

I would like to invite everybody interested in this project: Your contributions to the sourcecode, code review and betatesting are very welcome and appreaciated.

All members helping to realize Namecoin Wallet for Android hope to fullfill with this Wallet a big community need. Of course you can donate as well if you like to support this project.

My plan is to share the donations for extending features of this Wallet. If you think you can help with this project just mention it :)

Please note:

This is NOT an official announcement yet - its more a quick overview of the project. I would like to open a seperate thread for Namecoin Wallet on Android, which is collecting additional information

Please excuse a potential delay of my answers because of my holiday preparations, job work and the additional work for Namecoin Wallet of Android.

Best Regards,

Sudo

Attachment "Market share of operating systems worldwide":

Interesting work; looking forward to hearing more details. Please feel free to consult me about .bit support, and I assume domob would be happy to offer advice about id/ support and/or name transactions. I have some concerns about the security model, but I'll discuss that in a dedicated thread to avoid hijacking this one.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

yep good start and good enthusiasm.

interested to see how this will pan out

not sure if linux is immune to viruses but I know what you mean.

sudoquai

Post by sudoquai »

snailbrain wrote:yep good start and good enthusiasm.

I know, i've thought to write "immune" like you mentioned, Snailbrain. And don't execute rm -rf * from the root (at least at your own risc) ;)

There is good progress at the moment, NamecoinJ is working (needs of course some more tests), and could be a good base for a OS independent GUI (or for exchanges, its only an idea)

Especially i want to thank you for your mental support Snailbrain in past at present. Maybe you could use this Wallet for Huntercoin as a sister project of Namecoin as well and ask people if they would like to contribute.
NameID: id/sudo.wonder >>> Namecoin @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/namecoin.org

snailbrain

Post by snailbrain »

sudoquai wrote:

I know, i've thought to write "immune" like you mentioned, Snailbrain. And don't execute rm -rf * from the root (at least at your own risc) ;)

There is good progress at the moment, NamecoinJ is working (needs of course some more tests), and could be a good base for a OS independent GUI (or for exchanges, its only an idea)

Especially i want to thank you for your mental support Snailbrain in past at present. Maybe you could use this Wallet for Huntercoin as a sister project of Namecoin as well and ask people if they would like to contribute.
i'm definitely mental :)

would be good if so..

sudoquai

Post by sudoquai »

snailbrain wrote:
sudoquai wrote:

i'm definitely mental :)

would be good if so..
You are Snailbrain, you are :)

sudoquai

Post by sudoquai »

Interesting work; looking forward to hearing more details. Please feel free to consult me about .bit support, and I assume domob would be happy to offer advice about id/ support and/or name transactions. I have some concerns about the security model, but I'll discuss that in a dedicated thread to avoid hijacking this one.
Thank you, please be patient at the moment. I am still working together with the development team of this Wallet to be able to offer a solid product.

Extending the wallet with /id for payment to human readable names would be a real killer feature over Bitcoin for example. I think a lot of people would be interested in this.

And of course if it's possible to get .bit domains somehow working on Android - that would be great. I think you know best about it's complexity and the time which it would take to realize it approximately.

As a simple and fast "workaround" i've thought about using a .bit proxy list at the moment like http://bit.no.com or http://bit.pe somehow available and integrated into Android.

For the time it would be maybe the "best" solution to get .bit domains on Android (at least low intrusive and low complexity). I know this is not perfect but it helps increasing interest on .bit domains before a better solution like your FreeSpeechMe solution for Firefox is available for Android.

Best regards,

Sudo
Last edited by sudoquai on Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.