Tip4Commit Policy?

biolizard89

Tip4Commit Policy?

Post by biolizard89 »

Hey guys, so I'd like to set up a Tip4Commit policy for some Namecoin repos.

Here's my proposed policy:

0%: Obvious spam commits.
0.1%: Typo/formatting fixes; not visible to end users.
0.5%: Typo/formatting/wording improvements; visible to end users.
1%: Niche new feature or bugfix.
2%: Significant new feature or bugfix.
5%: Major usability or security fix.

The numbers listed above are the only available levels, but we can have an arbitrary description of each of those levels.

Furthermore, I propose that for the libcoin repo, all commits not related to Namecoin should be 0%. (Users who want to fund generic libcoin dev should fund the upstream repo.)

Does this look usable? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Re: Tip4Commit Policy?

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:Hey guys, so I'd like to set up a Tip4Commit policy for some Namecoin repos.

The numbers listed above are the only available levels, but we can have an arbitrary description of each of those levels.

Furthermore, I propose that for the libcoin repo, all commits not related to Namecoin should be 0%. (Users who want to fund generic libcoin dev should fund the upstream repo.)

What does the percentage mean? How much money will it be? Can this be done a while retroactively, e.g. I might otherwise wait to merge Domob's latest commit.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:Hey guys, so I'd like to set up a Tip4Commit policy for some Namecoin repos.

What does the percentage mean? How much money will it be? Can this be done a while retroactively, e.g. I might otherwise wait to merge Domob's latest commit.
Once I enable the policy in the settings (which is not done yet), each commit will receive the corresponding percentage of the Tip4Commit balance for that repo. So if a total of 1BTC has been donated via Tip4Commit, a significant new feature or bugfix would receive 0.02 BTC. It can't be done retroactively, so if you want this policy to be in effect, you should wait to merge the commit.

Is this scale acceptable?

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:

Once I enable the policy in the settings (which is not done yet), each commit will receive the corresponding percentage of the Tip4Commit balance for that repo. So if a total of 1BTC has been donated via Tip4Commit, a significant new feature or bugfix would receive 0.02 BTC. It can't be done retroactively, so if you want this policy to be in effect, you should wait to merge the commit.

Is this scale acceptable?
OK. Sounds good. Maybe the effort / difficulty of the change should also play a role. Otherwise the scale looks good to me.

There is only so much in the pot so maybe nmdf should rather throw some megabits at domob than delay the pulls.

Also I took a look at the tips4commit website and it seems like a decent project.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

domob

Post by domob »

I'm also fine with this policy - although I wonder how it is decided which commits are "major new features" and all that? Is it manual or some kind of heuristics? Anyway, this is just out of curiosity - I'm fine with the general plan.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

domob wrote:I'm also fine with this policy - although I wonder how it is decided which commits are "major new features" and all that? Is it manual or some kind of heuristics? Anyway, this is just out of curiosity - I'm fine with the general plan.
It's manual; all commit payments are marked as pending by default, and any GitHub user with contributor permissions on the repo can authorize a payment at the defined levels.

John Kenney

Post by John Kenney »

A problem is that it has to be done manually, if you're going to review every commit & decide which category it comes in. Is anybody going to keep on top of it?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

John Kenney wrote:A problem is that it has to be done manually, if you're going to review every commit & decide which category it comes in. Is anybody going to keep on top of it?
Whoever reviews/merges the pull request should choose what category it fits in. If someone forgets to do this, just let them know; people forget sometimes.

John Kenney

Post by John Kenney »

I have a Namecoin supporting fork of Peer4Commit (a peercoin fork of tip4commit), done by my friend bvsh, if anybody wants to host & maintain it. https://github.com/bvsh/namecoin4commit it'll need updating with some upstream patches & more testing, but it should work.