maybe Namecoin's crash to $1 a good thing..

signup292

maybe Namecoin's crash to $1 a good thing..

Post by signup292 »

Does anyone know if Namecoin's drop to $1 and lower have any effect on the security of the network? Perhaps like it becomes so unprofitable to mine or process transactions that it becomes a network vulnerability?

Other than that, I think there are benefits,

Because it's has little effect on the functionality of its purpose

Because it's make it cheaper for those who actually want to use it

Because it gets rid of speculation

Stablizes the price to a true value

The NMC/BTC seems to be the better metric, some large investor sold out during the recent BTC jump, plenty of volume to sell NMC

phelix

Re: maybe Namecoin's crash to $1 a good thing..

Post by phelix »

Current price still seems ok mining wise. A little higher would not hurt and when I look at the chart it seems the next hype cycle might start soon. :mrgreen:
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

traister

Post by traister »

phelix wrote:Current price still seems ok mining wise. A little higher would not hurt and when I look at the chart it seems the next hype cycle might start soon. :mrgreen:

Yup looking at the charts we are just about in that stage before we hit a new wave up. Although I do believe NMC is going to do very well again this time around I still think the volitility is going to be there and the bottom out at the end will still be massive like it has always been. We need some more development on NMC so that we can keep the pumps going and less dumps. Are upgraded wallets and mac wallets being worked on? It seems like some of the most important things that NMC needs are being ignored while things that dont matter are being worked on IMO...

signup292

Post by signup292 »

I suppose as long as there's no risk of loosing our coins, or some other crazy registration stealing vulnerability whole, that's good.

I was kind of leaning away from hypes pumps dumps spkies, and more towards no more falling. NMC/BTC falling, not NMC/USD falling, NMC/BTC has never had a period longer than a month that hasn't been in decline. NMC/USD is just a result of there actually being a NMC/BTC. I think essentially what's happening is that people that are merged mining, are selling out NMC ever so often to BTC, they just don't care. That may be what this chart indicates:

http://bitinfocharts.com/namecoin/addre ... kpREnY9YhJ

NMC should've had its breakout this past month when BTC did. BTC is at almost half its all time high. If NMC were, it'd be at what, at least $5? But again, not entirely bad that its $1, its main purpose for the most part is fully functional and doesn't seem like anything will break.

Maybe yeh, a MAC wallet. I don't have the time now, but I could get a simple iPhone address generator wallet out within a few months if no one else does, now that it seems to be submittable. And I know this sounds like it would defeat the purpose, but maybe a dot-bit browser that uses a local text file to browse dot bits? This blockchain would have to be updated every so often via updates, since having a crypto client running on your phone is never going to happen.

Anyhow, healthy to forget the decline and just enjoy using it :}

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

traister wrote:
phelix wrote:Current price still seems ok mining wise. A little higher would not hurt and when I look at the chart it seems the next hype cycle might start soon. :mrgreen:

Yup looking at the charts we are just about in that stage before we hit a new wave up. Although I do believe NMC is going to do very well again this time around I still think the volitility is going to be there and the bottom out at the end will still be massive like it has always been. We need some more development on NMC so that we can keep the pumps going and less dumps. Are upgraded wallets and mac wallets being worked on? It seems like some of the most important things that NMC needs are being ignored while things that dont matter are being worked on IMO...
Exactly what important things are being ignored, and what that doesn't matter is being worked on? IMO, two of the most important things are the libcoin rebase and better browsing tools; those are both receiving a decent amount of work lately. If you'd like to help, I would suggest that you donate either dev time or bounties.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

signup292 wrote:having a crypto client running on your phone is never going to happen.
Don't be so sure. The libcoin rebase might lead to some cool stuff in that department.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

traister

Post by traister »

biolizard89 wrote:
traister wrote:

Exactly what important things are being ignored, and what that doesn't matter is being worked on? IMO, two of the most important things are the libcoin rebase and better browsing tools; those are both receiving a decent amount of work lately. If you'd like to help, I would suggest that you donate either dev time or bounties.

If you think a new looking website and an update for a buggy wallet constitutes as receiving a decent amount of work then I ask you what do you really consider work? Im not a dev and maybe I would think about donating some money if I was actually making some with namecoin! No doubt I will be in the future but I think you devs need to stop with your donating pleads and do the free work that needs to get done for the purpose of namecoin. I saw how you were looking for 50 thousand dollars worth of donations for your free speech me. Wonder why you didnt reach your target and im sure you put 50 thousand dollars of work into it didnt u...

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

traister wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:
traister wrote:Yup looking at the charts we are just about in that stage before we hit a new wave up. Although I do believe NMC is going to do very well again this time around I still think the volitility is going to be there and the bottom out at the end will still be massive like it has always been. We need some more development on NMC so that we can keep the pumps going and less dumps. Are upgraded wallets and mac wallets being worked on? It seems like some of the most important things that NMC needs are being ignored while things that dont matter are being worked on IMO...

If you think a new looking website and an update for a buggy wallet constitutes as receiving a decent amount of work then I ask you what do you really consider work? Im not a dev and maybe I would think about donating some money if I was actually making some with namecoin! No doubt I will be in the future but I think you devs need to stop with your donating pleads and do the free work that needs to get done for the purpose of namecoin. I saw how you were looking for 50 thousand dollars worth of donations for your free speech me. Wonder why you didnt reach your target and im sure you put 50 thousand dollars of work into it didnt u...
Please explain when I mentioned a new looking website. I don't recall mentioning it.

I would strongly suggest that you look up the operating budgets of various nonprofits. Getting shit done actually costs money.

However, I don't really expect a serious response from you since you're obviously a troll who wants people to work for you for free. I'll make a mental note to disregard any of of your requests going forward.

traister

Post by traister »

If I had the dev skills I would do it for free and not complain about it and you should do the same. Andreas antonopoulos worked for free for a very long time before he started actually getting paid and that was when the foundation was finally established. Someone who wanted NMC to succeed would spend the time on it and not mention excuses of money or not having the time because of work or school like I have seen you go on about. Im not a troll.. Im sorry you just cant handle the truth.

John Kenney

Post by John Kenney »

traister wrote:If I had the dev skills I would do it for free and not complain about it and you should do the same. Andreas antonopoulos worked for free for a very long time before he started actually getting paid and that was when the foundation was finally established. Someone who wanted NMC to succeed would spend the time on it and not mention excuses of money or not having the time because of work or school like I have seen you go on about. Im not a troll.. Im sorry you just cant handle the truth.
Here, http://www.dummies.com/how-to/computers ... splus.html

Read that & get back to us with your patches.