4 steps to get firefox .bit enabled

Forum rules
Warning !
Avoid using binary softwares from untrusted users.
Prefer compiling it yourself and verify sources.
moa

Re: 4 steps to get firefox .bit enabled (Need guinea pigs ^^

Post by moa »

Okay, this is looking "good enough" to get your average browser-user going, well as good or user-friendly as the other methods. I'm going to post a link on the wiki. For the users already using FoxyProxy I'll put up a warning about it overwriting all other FoxyProxy settings (and maybe alternate written instruction on how to install the setting manually so current settings are preserved.)

Still need to do some testing on Tor but am having a play with FoxyProxy Tor wizard any how ...

... good stuff, now where's that list of .bit domains that are browse-able? ... lol.

JohnDoe

Post by JohnDoe »

Anybody knows how to disable FoxyProxy notifications?

moa

Post by moa »

JohnDoe wrote:Anybody knows how to disable FoxyProxy notifications?
hmmm, seem to be getting a lot of those when browsing other sites ... maybe not ready for prime time yet eh.

JohnDoe

Post by JohnDoe »

moa wrote: hmmm, seem to be getting a lot of those when browsing other sites ... maybe not ready for prime time yet eh.
Yeah, I'm getting it quite a bit too. Just waiting for that to get solved before I whore this solution in the bitcoin forums and reddit.

moa

Post by moa »

JohnDoe wrote:
moa wrote: hmmm, seem to be getting a lot of those when browsing other sites ... maybe not ready for prime time yet eh.
Yeah, I'm getting it quite a bit too. Just waiting for that to get solved before I whore this solution in the bitcoin forums and reddit.
It's a weird one though as it seems to come and go ... sometimes exactly the same site will pop-up the notification and other times not ... keep testing I think until I figure out what it is doing ... but beyond the annoying random notifications it seems usable.

moa

Re: 4 steps to get firefox .bit enabled

Post by moa »

I'm running with something slightly different that hasn't thrown any errors or notifications as yet:

1) Install the FoxyProxy Standard Add-on

Tools -> Add-ons : Get Add-ons in seach box type in "FoxyProxy Standard"

Install.

After Firefox restarts

2)

Tools -> FoxyProxy Standard -> Options

Add New Proxy (Pop-up)

General Tab:
Proxy Name "dot-bit"
Proxy Notes "Browse .bit domains"
(All boxes checked)

Proxy Details Tab:
Check Manual Proxy Configuration ->
Host or IP Address

Code: Select all

proxy.masterpool.eu
Port

SOCKS proxy? unchecked

URL Patterns:

Add New Pattern:
Enabled checked
Pattern Name "dot-bit DNS"
URL pattern

*.bit/*

Whitelisted checked
Wildcards checked

OK

OK

Select Mode "Use proxies based on their pre-defined patterns and priorities"

Close.

.... should be good to go ;) (you can watch the little foxy in the Navigation Toolbar next to web addresses going blue and spinning if a .bit domain is hit .... also note if you want to start with a clean slate from previous corrupted foxyproxy state you'll need to remove ~/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxxx.default/foxyproxy.xml as an add-on remove operation doesn't get rid of it.
Last edited by moa on Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:56 pm, edited 7 times in total.

JohnDoe

Post by JohnDoe »

moa wrote: URL pattern "*.bit/*"

URL pattern "*.bit"
Weird, those patterns were the first ones I tried when trying to fix the original pattern but I got an error saying that they were not valid regular expressions.
Last edited by JohnDoe on Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

moa

Post by moa »

JohnDoe wrote:
moa wrote: URL pattern "*.bit/*"

URL pattern "*.bit"
Weird, those patterns were the first ones I tried when trying to fix the original pattern but I got an error saying that they were not valid regular expressions.
You would have. I am using "Wildcards" checked ... not "Regular Expressions".

JohnDoe

Post by JohnDoe »

moa wrote: You would have. I am using "Wildcards" checked ... not "Regular Expressions".
LOL, totally missed that.

Btw, is there really a need for "*.bit"? Everything seems to be working fine just with "*.bit/*".

moa

Post by moa »

JohnDoe wrote:
moa wrote: You would have. I am using "Wildcards" checked ... not "Regular Expressions".
LOL, totally missed that.

Btw, is there really a need for "*.bit"? Everything seems to be working fine just with "*.bit/*".
Did you test "example.bit" or any other without the trailing "/" or other characters? I just threw "*.bit" in to be safe, can't hurt.

Hmm, i just tested without it and seems to work ok on *.bit requests. I think Firefox must auto-complete the address with a trailing "/" before forwarding to the proxy but other browsers might have different address completion behaviour so i'm gonna leave it in as an optional additional pattern here:

Tools->FoxyProxy Standard -> Options
Select "dot-bit" proxy : Edit Selection

URL Patterns tab:
Add New Pattern:
Enabled checked
Pattern Name "dot-bit TLD"
URL pattern

*.bit
Whitelisted checked
Wildcards checked

Check OK