ICANN new domain name .pid

pid

ICANN new domain name .pid

Post by pid »

Hello everyone,
I wanted to explore the idea of allowing only namecoin domains the ability to register in the .pid namespace. As the CEO of the ICANN registry .pid we could setup a policy that allows only namecoin domains to register.

So for example if you owned example.bit you would also be the only one allowed to register example.pid, the advantage is a public route. No plugins or anything required. As a registry we were already planning on excepting bitcoins for registration fees on other TLDs we have such as .auto, .golf, .chat, .forum.

Would this be of interest?

I would love to discuss more if the community was behind the idea.

yasser

Re: ICANN new domain name .pid

Post by yasser »

so it is not a decentralized domain name system

pid

Post by pid »

It would be a public system exclusive to a decentralized system.

virtual_master

Post by virtual_master »

pid wrote:Hello everyone,
I wanted to explore the idea of allowing only namecoin domains the ability to register in the .pid namespace. As the CEO of the ICANN registry .pid we could setup a policy that allows only namecoin domains to register.

So for example if you owned example.bit you would also be the only one allowed to register example.pid, the advantage is a public route. No plugins or anything required. As a registry we were already planning on excepting bitcoins for registration fees on other TLDs we have such as .auto, .golf, .chat, .forum.

Would this be of interest?

I would love to discuss more if the community was behind the idea.
Thank you for contacting the Namecoin community. I am thinking how could work a business model for you which would be acceptable for the community also.
I would have a better idea for you to better use the domain space and enable a better quick-start.
You could automatically support all working .bit domains(not parked) - in your .pid TLD - but with adds.
When the .bit domain owner is interested to make his corresponding .pid domain add-free he needs to register by you, make identification with the signature of the .bit domain and pay the fee.
yasser wrote:so it is not a decentralized domain name system
ICANN is not decentralized but still can both Namecoin and (at least parts of) ICANN win from a cooperation.
Namecoin doesn't need to give up its decentralized structure for this but can have entry points true the ICANN system, especially for those who are interested in Namecoin but they are technically not so good prepared.
The proxy solution for .bit domains is also not decentralized and is still more difficult.
As comparative example if an African buffalo is cooperating with a bird, the bird doesn't need to give up his freedom and eat grass and the buffalo doesn't need to learn to fly still both can win something.
http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S

pid

Post by pid »

I would love to see a tight integration between the two communities. So when someone registers a cryrto-name they receive a public id .pid domain. This would allow a domain name that can't be taken down. The public version could be ordered down by a court but the real registration is still live. This way the private version is still available like it is now. For 99% of the site a public version would be great. You could still find the site even if it was delisted publicly.

John Kenney

Post by John Kenney »

I think the eventual goal is to make .bit available to the wider public, not create an alternative that can be censored to compete with it. I'm not sure how requiring a .bit domain to register a .pid would make you any different from any of the hundreds of other icann tlds, except create a bit of extra hassle for your users. If you think it'll be a good model then try it, any extra publicity for namecoin is welcomed, but I can't see the point in it for you & it's not a long term solution for Namecoin either.

MWD

Post by MWD »

I think any kind of deal / partnering with ICANN is a bad idea, and completely antithetical to the reasons Namecoin was developed in the first place.
Namecoin, Dot-Bit and MeowBit are a complete new Internet ecosystem, building the roads to Web 4.0. http://www.meowbit.com
Dot-Bit Kitty Pix! The ONLY .bit-only kitty cat website in the world! http://dotbitkittypix.bit

drllau

Post by drllau »

It may be an access/point for very specific purposes. To give an example, I was working through the nature of authority/power in a decentralised ICT co-operative. For example, we want to ensure that discounts only accrue to members or affiliates.
firstly the .nz indicates a particular jurisdiction governed by common law ... this is the primary office of registration which means we are subject to all the necessary international treaties (WIPO, etc) which can be enforced by the state via the judicial process. The coop.org indicates that it is a non-person regulated under the Co-operative Companies Act (https://the.coop.org.nz/documents/5) for cooperative enterprises, with a constitution (draft) for all members. Within this constitution jaco is defined as a member (full in good standing) which is reliant on internal recording systems. So for someone to impersonate jaco, they'd have to penetrate the security https://plus.google.com/events/ca9sev8l ... amjscek8ho, alter the internal records or unlawfully transfer credentials, or attempt a man-in-middle attack when such credentials are authenticated via a secure channel. As such, the DNS remains a point of vulnerability given that machine time is so accelerated to human time scales.
What the PID could be is the bare minimum for an address for service, with a nominated ADR policy to resolve conficts/disputes. Given that the main legal concern with DNS has been the trademark squish (stupid idea of cramming a global sensory tradespace into a limited alphanumeric namespace). Of course the default action may be a declaration of non-jurisdiction but then that's a procedural matter. Within the distributed DNS, entities can agree to a common ADR policy or IP posture (even pirates need to wave their flag if only to thumb their noses).

I'd note that even in warfare between hostiles or in situations of adverse possession, there are protocols to communicate, if only to demand surrender :-D. This is just pragmaticsm.