Specific Bounty Suggestions

Infinum

Specific Bounty Suggestions

Post by Infinum »

Guys I have some NMC to donate to projects that provide useful functionality to Namecoin ecosystem.
However, I do have problem in discovering such projects.

The roadmap is very usefull as a general guideline but what I need is a list of projects described like so:
  • main goal/use case of the project
  • info on who decides how the funds will be distributed/used
  • NMC / BTC bounty addresses
  • ability for community to voice their opinion on the project
Those are the basic information required for any investment to happen and I do think Namecoin is worth investing in.
I have NMC ready to back my claim but currently there is no way for me to decide what should be funded.

As a user I want to have the ability to open my browser, type in a .bit domain and it loads the page.
It is an extremely simple requirement but to my knowledge currently not possible with neither Chrome, nor FireFox.
I will definitely consider funding such project but I am open to other projects as well.

I looked through the bounty forum but it does not seem to be much alive.
NMDF initiative is a good start - a bounty address per project would be a step in the right direction.

MWD

Re: What next? [Namecoin Roadmap]

Post by MWD »

Infinum wrote: As a user I want to have the ability to open my browser, type in a .bit domain and it loads the page.
It is an extremely simple requirement but to my knowledge currently not possible with neither Chrome, nor FireFox.
MeowBit does this for Windows XP through Windows 8 on any browser (or anywhere on the computer, for that matter). http://meowbit.com/

FreeSpeechMe does this for Firefox on Windows or Linux. http://www.freespeechme.org/

Both are still being developed and improved, and both take NMC donations on their sites. (I'm one of the guys on the MeowBit team. Used to work on the FreeSpeechMe project, but no longer do.)

Both work in a trustless manner (that's a good thing), using the NMC blockchain resident on your computer.

MWD
Namecoin, Dot-Bit and MeowBit are a complete new Internet ecosystem, building the roads to Web 4.0. http://www.meowbit.com
Dot-Bit Kitty Pix! The ONLY .bit-only kitty cat website in the world! http://dotbitkittypix.bit

phelix

Re: Specific Bounty Suggestions

Post by phelix »

This is an important suggestion so I made it a new topic. For reference here is the roadmap: https://nf.bit/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1162

Anybody with an idea: this is your chance.

Maybe we could create a starter solution by creating implementing remote lookups in NMControl and then packaging it with FreeSpeechMe. People could then upgrade to a local blockchain for security.

First step might be to revisit the Namecoin API Server bounty.

Another suggestions:
* An example .bit Tor page (with TLS).
* Legacy (ICANN) domain redirects in FreeSpeechMe.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

domob

Post by domob »

phelix wrote:* An example .bit Tor page (with TLS).
nameid.bit as well as domob.bit (should) be set up to resolve (also) via Tor, and they support TLS (both with and without Tor).
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

indolering

Post by indolering »

It sounds like you should just file some tickets and create some code bounties using BountySource. They *just* implemented Bitcoin support and I'm planning on integrating it into the github account.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

Infinum wrote:Guys I have some NMC to donate to projects that provide useful functionality to Namecoin ecosystem.
However, I do have problem in discovering such projects.

The roadmap is very usefull as a general guideline but what I need is a list of projects described like so:
  • main goal/use case of the project
  • info on who decides how the funds will be distributed/used
  • NMC / BTC bounty addresses
  • ability for community to voice their opinion on the project
Those are the basic information required for any investment to happen and I do think Namecoin is worth investing in.
I have NMC ready to back my claim but currently there is no way for me to decide what should be funded.

As a user I want to have the ability to open my browser, type in a .bit domain and it loads the page.
I will definitely consider funding such project but I am open to other projects as well.

I looked through the bounty forum but it does not seem to be much alive.
NMDF initiative is a good start - a bounty address per project would be a step in the right direction.
(Sorry for delayed reply.)

I totally agree that we need a "master list" of things that are accepting donations. That's something I've been meaning to work on for a while, I think indolering is also interested in working on this. Hang tight, we'll get you the info you need soon. :-)

As an aside, if you're interested in loading .bit websites in a web browser, FreeSpeechMe does this in Firefox (including TLS support, Windows/Linux support, and Tor/I2P support). I'd happily accept donations to make it work in browsers other than Firefox (and non-web-browser clients), with the same feature set.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

indolering

Post by indolering »

Infinium, how about a bounty to get bounties figured out?

We really need a web developer to commit to taking on some of these projects. Right now, it's a patchwork of everyone pitching in what and when we can, but it's a real mess. If I can get a grant to work on Namecoin as a full or part-time job, I will be happy to do many of these items. But right now, well, we need to build capacity and some strategic bounties would help that along.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.