Is the dollar value of namecoins preemptively capped?

FuzzyMiner

Is the dollar value of namecoins preemptively capped?

Post by FuzzyMiner »

Lets say for arguments sake, that .bit domains registered via namecoin can be entered into the averages user's address bar and lead to the corresponding server.

This makes them an alternative to registering .com and .net domains, should you want to make a website (though arguably, most user would rather have a .com as it is the norm)

.com domains average $10/year to register.

Having a .bit domain would only be advantageous if you were hosting content that was of questionable nature, which most people do not do.

Thus, given the low demand for .bit domains (through lack of a large user base hosting shady content) and the less obvious extension compared to .com domains, would it be fair to assume that even if its facilitation becomes transparent to the average browser, the NameCoin will never be valued any higher than it's worth in registering a domain with a .com extension?

moa

Re: Is the dollar value of namecoins preemptively capped?

Post by moa »

Thus, given the low demand for .bit domains (through lack of a large user base hosting shady content) and the less obvious extension compared to .com domains, would it be fair to assume that even if its facilitation becomes transparent to the average browser, the NameCoin will never be valued any higher than it's worth in registering a domain with a .com extension?
No. Because in every other respect they are technically identical to bitcoins so can be used to trade and transact in the same manner ... as well as do the naming thing ... penny dropped yet? Namecoins haven't built the infrastructure of bitcoins yet but they don't have the public image baggage either ... yet.

doublec

Post by doublec »

Namecoins also are much cheaper to renew - so cheap, that you're effectively buying the domain for 'life' as long as you remember to renew. That values them more than the price of 1 year of .com.

JohnDoe

Post by JohnDoe »

moa wrote:Namecoins haven't built the infrastructure of bitcoins yet but they don't have the public image baggage either ... yet.
On this subject, I wonder if it would be a good idea to start defining Namecoin as a p2p naming system AND digital currency to avoid the general perception that it only works as a DNS system, or if it'd be better to stay clear from calling it a currency.

imperi

Post by imperi »

JohnDoe wrote:
moa wrote:Namecoins haven't built the infrastructure of bitcoins yet but they don't have the public image baggage either ... yet.
On this subject, I wonder if it would be a good idea to start defining Namecoin as a p2p naming system AND digital currency to avoid the general perception that it only works as a DNS system, or if it'd be better to stay clear from calling it a currency.
I think both would be better. It is dual-purpose.

moa

Post by moa »

JohnDoe wrote:
Changed the Main page wiki to read:

"It allows you to :

Register and manage domains (.bit currently).

Have sole ownership of your domain (no possible external control of your domains!).

Trade and transact with the namecoin digital currency."

But remember this is on the Dot-bit home page so DNS is the aspect of namecoin that is the primary thrust here.
Eventually maybe Namecoin could do with having its own Wiki? Obviously with strong links to Dot-bit, links to sites accepting NMC, i.e. anything namecoin related without over-running and diluting the Dot-bit project.

JohnDoe

Post by JohnDoe »

moa wrote: But remember this is on the Dot-bit home page so DNS is the aspect of namecoin that is the primary thrust here.
Eventually maybe Namecoin could do with having its own Wiki? Obviously with strong links to Dot-bit, links to sites accepting NMC, i.e. anything namecoin related without over-running and diluting the Dot-bit project.
Yeah, you are right. I guess we'll have to wait and see what khal thinks. Though I'm pretty sure that dot-bit.org will end up being the unofficial 'official' namecoin site since all the good namecoin.* domains are taken.

moa

Post by moa »

JohnDoe wrote:
moa wrote: But remember this is on the Dot-bit home page so DNS is the aspect of namecoin that is the primary thrust here.
Yeah, you are right. I guess we'll have to wait and see what khal thinks. Though I'm pretty sure that dot-bit.org will end up being the unofficial 'official' namecoin site since all the good namecoin.* domains are taken.
I think there was poster, nym psy, on bitocin forum who said he had some namecoins domains that he was prepared to donate ...

"I own namecoin.eu, namecoin.info and namecoin.it.
If someone wants to use one of those for the namecoin website I'll donate the domain, no problem!
"
https://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=7244.0

JohnDoe

Post by JohnDoe »

moa wrote: I think there was poster, nym psy, on bitocin forum who said he had some namecoins domains that he was prepared to donate ...

"I own namecoin.eu, namecoin.info and namecoin.it.
If someone wants to use one of those for the namecoin website I'll donate the domain, no problem!
"
https://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=7244.0
Nice, and it looks like khal is not opposed to move to one of those in the event that Namecoin grows bigger than just DNS:
khal wrote:I've not taken "namecoin" as project name because there was no domain free, and because of the dot-p2p project.
psy owns some namecoin domains, so, a change of name is still possible.

gigabytecoin

Post by gigabytecoin »

imho, once popularized, a .bit domain registration will be worth much, much more than a regular .com registration.