Quick-and-dirty namecoind GUI (Download link)

Forum rules
Warning !
Avoid using binary softwares from untrusted users.
Prefer compiling it yourself and verify sources.
OddOne

Quick-and-dirty namecoind GUI (Download link)

Post by OddOne »

Got tired of having to play with namecoind as a command-line app, so I threw together a simple GUI/shell for it. It resembles this:

When it's first launched, it fires namecoind with "help" as a parameter, and populates the drop-down list with all of the commands namecoind returns. Pick from list, edit as desired, click "Send!", and it shells out to namecoind and captures the output for display. The display can be copied from the large box and pasted elsewhere if you have such a need.

Right now it performs no parsing or storage of data, it's just a shell. It also performs no sanity checking on what you tell it to send to namecoind, so you can hang it by mistyping commands and crashing or aborting namecoind. If that happens, just close it and relaunch. I could quite easily turn it into something more substantial should there be sufficient interest and incentive (read: *cough*donations!*cough*). :D

Installation is simple: unzip into the same directory as namecoind, and run it as an Administrator or namecoind will immediately abort and the GUI will hang as a result. It's Windows only, and was compiled in Windows 7 so it'll likely not run in 9x/ME if you're so archaic that you still use those OSs. Runs fine as a 32-bit app in x64.

Download link: NameCoinUI (182KB)
NOTE: Download now includes full sourcecode for user inspection.

EDIT: BTW, I forgot to mention... NameCoinUI does not launch namecoind as a daemon - you'll need to do that first. I'll probably add a check for that.
Last edited by OddOne on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

tysat

Re: Quick-and-dirty namecoind GUI (Download link)

Post by tysat »

I like it, much easier than using command line.

I'll have to test it out some, but first glance seems pretty good.
If I helped you out:
BTC: 1LabGXUN3rDgKpFrwG3zqh22UK11JEg5bb
NMC: N8ujgSozU4ctR2kDKiGMBVSysCtVKMGGdh

wizzard0

Post by wizzard0 »

OddOne wrote: and run it as an Administrator
hmm, console namecoind does not require admin for me, why you need to?
Bitcoin (and Namecoin) mining profitability - http://tvori.info/bitcoin/charts/

OddOne

Post by OddOne »

If you run Windows as a "Linux-like" OS by deliberately configuring a separation between normal user and administrator, as is common in networked business environments for example, you'll need to run it as an administrator. If you run Windows using the default "user-is-also-an-administrator" security settings, Windows may or may not even ask for permission depending on your UAC settings.

Since I run Windows with a normal user account without admin privileges, and have UAC set to ask my permission on launching unsigned software, I get prompted for an admin password.

vinced

Post by vinced »

:!:

Do not run executables from unknown sources, including this one!
!v | Namecoin founder | https://dot-bit.org/

OddOne

Post by OddOne »

vinced wrote::!:

Given recent events surrounding MtGox, this is a sound suggestion. Tomorrow I'll update the ZIP to include the source code, so that it can be examined and compiled independently.

OddOne

Post by OddOne »

OddOne wrote:
vinced wrote::!:

Given recent events surrounding MtGox, this is a sound suggestion. Tomorrow I'll update the ZIP to include the source code, so that it can be examined and compiled independently.
Ended up not having a chance to update it yesteray, but it's updated now. The ZIP file now includes the sourcecode (Delphi 7+, OO Pascal) for inspection for your safety. (It'll also be pretty obvious how little code it takes to make a simple shell/capture program. The majority of the compiled binary is devoted to basic Windows API interfacing for making the form and controls - if I roll my own I could probably drop the precompressed EXE size to <100kb.)