Firefox and nmcSocks

Forum rules
Warning !
Avoid using binary softwares from untrusted users.
Prefer compiling it yourself and verify sources.
dtoren

Firefox and nmcSocks

Post by dtoren »

You can use Firefox with nmcSocks without FoxyProxy (or other addons) by going to a little bit more work:
  1. Go to Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Settings
  2. Select "Manual proxy configuration" and use 127.0.0.1 as a SOCKS host and 9055 as the port
  3. Add the following to "No proxy for:"

Code: Select all

.aero, .asia, .biz, .cat, .com, .coop, .info, .int, .jobs, .mobi, .museum, .name, .net, .org, .pro, .tel , .travel, .xxx
  4. Go to the about:config URL
  5. Add a new boolean key set to true called "network.proxy.socks_remote_dns"
Configure Namecoin's bitcoin.conf with the following:

rpcuser=user
rpcpassword=pass
rpcport=8336
irc=1
nolisten=1
dnsseed=1
daemon=1
as usual.

Start nmcSocks (probably from a batch file) and you're set to start resolving all non-ICANN domains through nmcSocks. If you use OpenNIC nameservers like I do, you also want to add the following to "No proxy for:"

.bbs, .bzh, .dyn, .free, .fur, .geek, .gopher, .indy, .ing, .micro, .null, .opennic.glue, .oss, .parody

phelix

Re: Firefox and nmcSocks

Post by phelix »

dtoren wrote:You can use Firefox with nmcSocks without FoxyProxy (or other addons) by going to a little bit more work:
  1. Go to Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Settings
  2. Select "Manual proxy configuration" and use 127.0.0.1 as a SOCKS host and 9055 as the port
  3. Add the following to "No proxy for:"

.aero, .asia, .biz, .cat, .com, .coop, .info, .int, .jobs, .mobi, .museum, .name, .net, .org, .pro, .tel , .travel, .xxx
  4. Go to the about:config URL
  5. Add a new boolean key set to true called "network.proxy.socks_remote_dns"
Configure Namecoin's bitcoin.conf with the following:

rpcuser=user
rpcpassword=pass
rpcport=8336
irc=1
nolisten=1
dnsseed=1
daemon=1
as usual.

Start nmcSocks (probably from a batch file) and you're set to start resolving all non-ICANN domains through nmcSocks. If you use OpenNIC nameservers like I do, you also want to add the following to "No proxy for:"

.bbs, .bzh, .dyn, .free, .fur, .geek, .gopher, .indy, .ing, .micro, .null, .opennic.glue, .oss, .parody
sweet.

some country domains should be added to the exclude list.

what does nmcSocks do with unknown domains? maybe it would be easier to have all unknown domains relayed to the normal DNS by nmcSocks.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

dtoren

Post by dtoren »

phelix wrote: some country domains should be added to the exclude list.
Ah. I forgot to add CCtlds. I just grabbed a list from Wikipedia :D
what does nmcSocks do with unknown domains? maybe it would be easier to have all unknown domains relayed to the normal DNS by nmcSocks.
I visited a .se and got there just fine. Maybe you don't need the exclusions at all /checks...

You don't seem to need the exclusion list at all. I couldn't give you a technical reason though.

EDIT: ccTLDs are as follows:

.ac, .ad, .ae, .af, .ag, .ai, .al, .am, .an, .ao, .aq, .ar, .as, .at, .au, .aw, .ax, .az, .ba, .bb, .bd, .be, .bf, .bg, .bh, .bi, .bj, .bm, .bn, .bo, .br, .bs, .bt, .bv, .bw, .by, .bz, .ca, .cc, .cd, .cf, .cg, .ch, .ci, .ck, .cl, .cm, .cn, .co, .cr, .cs, .cu, .cv, .cx, .cy, .cz, .dd, .de, .dj, .dk, .dm, .do, .dz, .ec, .ee, .eg, .eh, .er, .es, .et, .eu, .fi, .fj, .fk, .fm, .fo, .fr, .ga, .gb, .gd, .ge, .gf, .gg, .gh, .gi, .gl, .gm, .gn, .gp, .gq, .gr, .gs, .gt, .gu, .gw, .gy, .hk, .hm, .hn, .hr, .ht, .hu, .id, .ie, .il, .im, .in, .io, .iq, .ir, .is, .it, .je, .jm, .jo, .jp, .ke, .kg, .kh, .ki, .km, .kn, .kp, .kr, .kw, .ky, .kz, .la, .lb, .lc, .li, .lk, .lr, .ls, .lt, .lu, .lv, .ly, .ma, .mc, .md, .me, .mg, .mh, .mk, .ml, .mm, .mn, .mo, .mp, .mq, .mr, .ms, .mt, .mu, .mv, .mw, .mx, .my, .mz, .na, .nc, .ne, .nf, .ng, .ni, .nl, .no, .np, .nr, .nu, .nz, .om, .pa, .pe, .pf, .pg, .ph, .pk, .pl, .pm, .pn, .pr, .ps, .pt, .pw, .py, .qa, .re, .ro, .rs, .ru, .rw, .sa, .sb, .sc, .sd, .se, .sg, .sh, .si, .sj, .sk, .sl, .sm, .sn, .so, .sr, .ss, .st, .su, .sv, .sy, .sz, .tc, .td, .tf, .tg, .th, .tj, .tk, .tl, .tm, .tn, .to, .tp, .tr, .tt, .tv, .tw, .tz, .ua, .ug, .uk, .us, .uy, .uz, .va, .vc, .ve, .vg, .vi, .vn, .vu, .wf, .ws, .ye, .yt, .yu, .za, .zm, .zw

phelix

Post by phelix »

dtoren wrote: [...]
You don't seem to need the exclusion list at all. I couldn't give you a technical reason though.
[...]
probably nmcSocks uses your default dns for unknown domains.

so this means with namecoind, nmcSocks and firefox you are good to go completely dns independent. and the configuration seems quite easy. :D
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum