NamecoinJ: a Java based GUI for Namecoin

Forum rules
Warning !
Avoid using binary softwares from untrusted users.
Prefer compiling it yourself and verify sources.
dave3

Re: NamecoinJ: a Java based GUI for Namecoin

Post by dave3 »

I installed namecoin yesterday, let it download the blockchain, got a new namecoin address and received some namecoins to it.

Then I installed NamecoinJ and was able to view the namecoin address and it's balance successfully.

Now today, when I start NamecoinJ it's got 2 addresses listed under Account Manager with the same balance on each, even though I only created one of those addresses. Also, the total balance still only reflects the amount on one of the addresses (not both combined).

Any idea where the second address came from?

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

Your wallet contains about 100 pre-generated addresses.
Each time you receive a tx, a new one is displayed.

Your balance is the total of coins received on each address (so, NamecoinJ reports bad info on the second one).
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

dave3

Post by dave3 »

Thanks.

Rove

Post by Rove »

Hi,
I'm a new (and unskilled) person who is interested in namecoin. I tried installing this thinking that it was a full featured wallet incorporating built in namecoin program. The GUI was nice enough but I was looking for a full deal. Unfortunately I encountered problems when uninstalling it.

1. could not uninstall with windows program manager. Fixed by using built in uninstaller in "Program Files (x86) -> Namecoinj" which even optionally removed the appdata locations. This was a big plus, full removal is appreciated and windows often fails at it.

2. I still have a folder with 20~KB of visible and hidden (even from windows in spite of setting it to show hidden and system files) files and folders in "Program Files (x86)" directory which is called "namecoinj" and which I am unable to manually delete. Right-click then select delete has no effect. Select the folder and keyboard delete goes through the expected motions except that it does not actually remove the folder.

This is very strange, how do I remove it? Why is it seemingly protecting itself from removal? I'd ask the author for help regarding this in as easy a method as possible for someone who is only comfortable using the GUI of a OS. Personally I don't think windows should allow this and that I should have access to the filesystem at a hardware BIOS level (with UEFI) to fix this, since windows let it happen and I don't have a custom BIOS chip I'm requesting the authors help.

I'd be interested to use this "namecoinj" program at the development stage where the ability to generate a namecoin wallet is automatically included with installation and the wallet no longer needs to be manually installed and configured separately. Could be a great piece of software. The easier you make it for unskilled people like me the wider it's use will be which is the end goal of the project.

Edit:
did manage to delete the namecoinj folder with a liveCD, still would be happy to hear a how-to or bugfix from the author.

Sage

Post by Sage »

I'm getting a file not found error when trying to download.

Has this project been abandoned? Or is there another updated link?

Thanks

sudoquai

Post by sudoquai »

Is this project still living? Looks very interesting ...
NameID: id/sudo.wonder >>> Namecoin @ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/namecoin.org

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

sudoquai wrote:Is this project still living? Looks very interesting ...
I think it's abandoned in favor of Namecoin-Qt.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5