nameGUI - an RPC frontend GUI

Forum rules
Warning !
Avoid using binary softwares from untrusted users.
Prefer compiling it yourself and verify sources.
domob

Re: nameGUI - an RPC frontend GUI

Post by domob »

I like it. While I agree that Tk is probably quite a strange UI framework, I'm also not really a big fan of Qt, either. I think that it is fine to use whatever seems to be best.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

cassini

Post by cassini »

biolizard89 wrote:Well, I'd really like to see it use the same GUI toolkit that a Bitcoin wallet uses
My opinion in Namecoin software discussions are also based on this idea, usually. In other words, keep as close as possible to Bitcoin code.

In this case, however, Tk has two significant advantages over Qt:
1) Tk is much easier to learn which means there are a lot more potential developers who can contribute.
2) No compile/build headaches.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

cassini wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:Well, I'd really like to see it use the same GUI toolkit that a Bitcoin wallet uses
My opinion in Namecoin software discussions are also based on this idea, usually. In other words, keep as close as possible to Bitcoin code.

In this case, however, Tk has two significant advantages over Qt:
1) Tk is much easier to learn which means there are a lot more potential developers who can contribute.
2) No compile/build headaches.
Well, if it ends up being part of Armory or Electrum, then the build headaches are handled by their respective build systems. If I were building a Bitcoin wallet from scratch, I wouldn't have much opinion -- but since we would strongly benefit from having Armory or Electrum support Namecoin, it seems worth the trouble to match their GUI toolkit.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

FYI, I just Startpaged "python tkinter vs qt". The first two results were:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/109 ... er-vs-pyqt
https://www.reddit.com/r/Python/comment ... caught_up/

In both of these, the top 2 answers (by far) were that PyQt is much preferable to Tkinter.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

josephbisch

Post by josephbisch »

I haven't tried nameGUI, but it seems like it is pretty far along in terms of development. It would be a shame to toss it out and rewrite the whole thing using PyQt.

Maybe nameGUI doesn't have to be part of Armory.

Or maybe it can be kept standalone using Tkinter and we could do something like call os.system("python namegui.py") when a button is pressed in Armory? It would introduce another dependency to running Armory, but we might be able to provide an option to the configure script to disable Tkinter. The option could maybe hide the button that brings up the nameGUI program.

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:FYI, I just Startpaged "python tkinter vs qt". The first two results were:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/109 ... er-vs-pyqt
https://www.reddit.com/r/Python/comment ... caught_up/

In both of these, the top 2 answers (by far) were that PyQt is much preferable to Tkinter.
don't believe everything you read on the internets :P

Certainly ttk/tkinter lacks in some areas. E.g. it does not support creating a tray icon, which Qt5 supports. It has it's strengths, though, too, for example it has zero dependencies and works out of the box on various systems. It's sad that development is going slow these days but it has been around for ages and is very stable.

What somewhat bothers me about PyQt is the semi commercial status.

The GUI overhead is relatively small so far and I am considering some restructuring to even more separate the GUI stuff. For the name management pages I also plan keeping the GUI as separate as possible, so it should be quite easy to switch the GUI framework or reuse code for other GUI frameworks.

Hopefully there will be a proper pure Python GUI some day with native widgets for all systems.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

johnc

Post by johnc »

i just hope nmcontrol and namegui are compatible together with a possible future light client .

phelix

Post by phelix »

Should the GUI use it's own config directory or a subfolder in the namecoin config directory (where the wallet is).

I tend towards a separate folder but both options have their advantages...

phelix

Post by phelix »

cassini wrote: I found one serious bug, so far. Enter any combining character (e.g. grave, acute, tilde, circumflex) in a text box, and the program crashes with
Python[1989:5194914] -[__NSCFConstantString characterAtIndex:]: Range or index out of bounds
Hmm it works fine for me. Are you possibly using an old Python version?

https://bugs.python.org/issue22566

phelix

Post by phelix »

Out now: v0.2 with locked wallet handling and instant name lookup from the "register" field.

I like how fast and responsive the name lookup is - which somewhat surprised as there is no optimization whatsoever.

One of the next work packets will be a Windows installer and config tabs for id/ and d/ ip config.