Electrum-NMC

Forum rules
Warning !
Avoid using binary softwares from untrusted users.
Prefer compiling it yourself and verify sources.
kefkius

Electrum-NMC

Post by kefkius »

Electrum-NMC is a Namecoin-compatible fork of Electrum.

So far it just sends and receives coins. I wanted to wait until I had implemented name operations but I'm posting so nobody is duplicating my efforts.

As of writing, there are no servers so you'll need electrum-nmc-server running on localhost for it to work. Sorry about that; I don't have anywhere to put a server but if somebody does, add your server to lib/network.py and make a pull request. :)

Electrum-NMC is alpha software. I intend to fully implement registering and managing names in the (hopefully very) near future. Also I haven't implemented the auxpow difficulty check so it just accepts headers from servers without checking their difficulty.
Creator of Encompass multi-coin lite wallet. Pretty much always reachable on freenode in #mazaclub.

biolizard89

Re: Electrum-NMC

Post by biolizard89 »

kefkius wrote:Electrum-NMC is a Namecoin-compatible fork of Electrum.

So far it just sends and receives coins. I wanted to wait until I had implemented name operations but I'm posting so nobody is duplicating my efforts.

As of writing, there are no servers so you'll need electrum-nmc-server running on localhost for it to work. Sorry about that; I don't have anywhere to put a server but if somebody does, add your server to lib/network.py and make a pull request. :)

Electrum-NMC is alpha software. I intend to fully implement registering and managing names in the (hopefully very) near future. Also I haven't implemented the auxpow difficulty check so it just accepts headers from servers without checking their difficulty.
Nice work! Good to see more Namecoin ports of Bitcoin wallets.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

So, I'm unable to find any documentation of Electrum's security model. Since you're familiar with the code, any chance you could explain how it works? I'm under the impression that it's somewhat lighter and less secure than SPV -- is that correct? What procedure is used to verify that the server isn't lying?

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:

So, I'm unable to find any documentation of Electrum's security model. Since you're familiar with the code, any chance you could explain how it works? I'm under the impression that it's somewhat lighter and less secure than SPV -- is that correct? What procedure is used to verify that the server isn't lying?
IIRC they started doing SPV at some point.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

kefkius

Post by kefkius »

biolizard89 wrote:

Sorry for the late response.

Electrum (and Electrum-NMC) does SPV. However, the server can still give clients 'fake' blocks with 'fake' transactions and the SPV check would be fooled. Electrum's security relies pretty heavily on verifying that the difficulty of the blocks it's given are correct via the difficulty retarget algorithm.
Creator of Encompass multi-coin lite wallet. Pretty much always reachable on freenode in #mazaclub.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

kefkius wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:

Sorry for the late response.

Electrum (and Electrum-NMC) does SPV. However, the server can still give clients 'fake' blocks with 'fake' transactions and the SPV check would be fooled. Electrum's security relies pretty heavily on verifying that the difficulty of the blocks it's given are correct via the difficulty retarget algorithm.
Thanks for that info. How does this compare to other SPV clients such as Multibit or Android Bitcoin Wallet?

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:
kefkius wrote: Electrum (and Electrum-NMC) does SPV. However, the server can still give clients 'fake' blocks with 'fake' transactions and the SPV check would be fooled. Electrum's security relies pretty heavily on verifying that the difficulty of the blocks it's given are correct via the difficulty retarget algorithm.
Thanks for that info. How does this compare to other SPV clients such as Multibit or Android Bitcoin Wallet?
Is Electrum's SPV (thin-client) implementation not P2P (as opposed to Multibit's)? - turns out also Electrum's SPV is not P2P. Electrum does API server SPV whereas Multibit does P2P node SPV.

(cross post from Bounty Cornucopia)
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum