Brainstorming: GUI for the rebased client

Forum rules
Warning !
Avoid using binary softwares from untrusted users.
Prefer compiling it yourself and verify sources.
biolizard89

Re: Brainstorming: GUI for the rebased client

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:
johnc wrote:IMHO namecontrol for name operations at least, it is namecontrol after all.

For Tx and Signing too if it's technically possible and secure. If not armory/multibit.

Other development avenue would be to create a lightweight client.
In terms of attack surface, I would rather than the application holding private keys be separate from the application looking up names. Armory fits that bill perfectly. Having NMControl (which may be renamed NameControl) hold keys as well as look up names would not be a good idea by this standard.
No need for the name gui to hold keys.
My definition of "holding keys" includes "being able to initiate actions that use keys". You could require manual confirmation in the application that actually stores the keys, but that means you would need a name UI in that application as well, which defeats the point.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Post by phelix »

Well, NMControl with the client as data source could also wait until the wallet is unlocked and then rob everything in it. So I am not sure there is a lot of benefit from making the Name GUI a separate application. But it would be fine with me, too.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

johnc

Post by johnc »

I wonder if there's a way to add 2FA to the wallet, isn't there any wallet that do this?.

I imagine this, as having an app read a code provided by your wallet or the web GUI and either sign the TX and broadcast it or give a code to decrypt the keys.

If not, well, one must have a laptop just for cold storage and other for name-ops.

phelix

Post by phelix »

johnc wrote:Another wallet worth checking is the one that next uses. The UI is a web interface--->

http://nxt.org/developers/nxt-source-code/

it will be interesting to see if they have any solution for the block & blockchain size problem. For what i read, looks like the wallet is web based but still have some bugs.
hmm... all Java - :o

johnc

Post by johnc »

johnc wrote:
phelix wrote:
johnc wrote:can nmcontrol theoretically sign/encrypt messages? that' would be great.
You mean like the satoshi client? NMControl does not usually handle private or public keys.

The signing/encryption part should be easy to implement (Bitcointalk: Encrypt/decrypt arbitrary text using bitcoin keys!)
Yeah, but let's see it from a different perspective, how about nmcontrol showing a QR code just like "whatsapp web" does and then you scanning it and using namecoins from your phone to release/sign the transaction / challenge. It should work, and by the way, it should allow a wallet in your computer to have 2FA. And the mobile wallet don't need a gui for name operations or checking the name database since nmcontrol does that.
how about this other idea?, it will be like showing a QR code to your phone with the private keys encrypted, then you anytime you want to use them you read a QR code, put the password on your phone, and it broadcast the TX.

phelix

Post by phelix »