Experimental Local Proxy Resolving

Forum rules
Warning !
Avoid using binary softwares from untrusted users.
Prefer compiling it yourself and verify sources.
Post Reply
phelix
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 am

Experimental Local Proxy Resolving

Post by phelix » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:35 am

This sets up a local proxy redirecting .bit requests to the proper ip addresses and also proxying legacy domains.

It's a quick modification of https://github.com/allfro/pymiproxy

http://blockchained.com/stuff/proxy.py_
http://blockchained.com/stuff/namerpc.py_

Run proxy.py and set your browser proxy settings to 127.0.0.1 port 8083
Needs NMControl (and the Namecoin client) running to work.

It will not yet work with SSL but it should be possible.

Caching for legacy domains still needs a lot of work but sometimes it's quite fast actually.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

biolizard89
Posts: 1979
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: Experimental Local Proxy Resolving

Post by biolizard89 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:07 am

phelix wrote:This sets up a local proxy redirecting .bit requests to the proper ip addresses and also proxying legacy domains.

It's a quick modification of https://github.com/allfro/pymiproxy

http://blockchained.com/stuff/proxy.py
http://blockchained.com/stuff/namerpc.py

Run proxy.py and set your browser proxy settings to 127.0.0.1 port 8083
Needs NMControl (and the Namecoin client) running to work.

It will not yet work with SSL but it should be possible.

Caching for legacy domains still needs a lot of work but sometimes it's quite fast actually.
I'm not sure I understand what advantage this has over FreeSpeechMe's proxy?
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 am

Re: Experimental Local Proxy Resolving

Post by phelix » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:21 pm

biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:This sets up a local proxy redirecting .bit requests to the proper ip addresses and also proxying legacy domains.

It's a quick modification of https://github.com/allfro/pymiproxy

http://blockchained.com/stuff/proxy.py
http://blockchained.com/stuff/namerpc.py

Run proxy.py and set your browser proxy settings to 127.0.0.1 port 8083
Needs NMControl (and the Namecoin client) running to work.

It will not yet work with SSL but it should be possible.

Caching for legacy domains still needs a lot of work but sometimes it's quite fast actually.
I'm not sure I understand what advantage this has over FreeSpeechMe's proxy?
tbh I have only a vague idea how FreeSpeechMe works... is this any similar to it?

I just happened to run across pymiproxy and played with it a little. It was fun and cool how little code was necessary to make .bit domains work (without TLS that is).
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

biolizard89
Posts: 1979
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: Experimental Local Proxy Resolving

Post by biolizard89 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:20 pm

phelix wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:This sets up a local proxy redirecting .bit requests to the proper ip addresses and also proxying legacy domains.

It's a quick modification of https://github.com/allfro/pymiproxy

http://blockchained.com/stuff/proxy.py
http://blockchained.com/stuff/namerpc.py

Run proxy.py and set your browser proxy settings to 127.0.0.1 port 8083
Needs NMControl (and the Namecoin client) running to work.

It will not yet work with SSL but it should be possible.

Caching for legacy domains still needs a lot of work but sometimes it's quite fast actually.
I'm not sure I understand what advantage this has over FreeSpeechMe's proxy?
tbh I have only a vague idea how FreeSpeechMe works... is this any similar to it?

I just happened to run across pymiproxy and played with it a little. It was fun and cool how little code was necessary to make .bit domains work (without TLS that is).
Yep, quite similar to FreeSpeechMe. FreeSpeechMe uses the proxy code in Convergence, and adds a little bit of code to interface with NMControl. The main difference is that Convergence's proxy has built-in support for doing a MITM on TLS and checking the resulting certs, which is useful for us.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix
Posts: 1631
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:59 am

Re: Experimental Local Proxy Resolving

Post by phelix » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:09 pm

biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:
I'm not sure I understand what advantage this has over FreeSpeechMe's proxy?
tbh I have only a vague idea how FreeSpeechMe works... is this any similar to it?

I just happened to run across pymiproxy and played with it a little. It was fun and cool how little code was necessary to make .bit domains work (without TLS that is).
Yep, quite similar to FreeSpeechMe. FreeSpeechMe uses the proxy code in Convergence, and adds a little bit of code to interface with NMControl. The main difference is that Convergence's proxy has built-in support for doing a MITM on TLS and checking the resulting certs, which is useful for us.
I should really take a closer look at FreeSpeechMe. This proxy has some kind of MITM TLS, too, but I did not yet get it to work.

btw: I renamed the files so that they can actually be downloaded.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

biolizard89
Posts: 1979
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
os: linux

Re: Experimental Local Proxy Resolving

Post by biolizard89 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:14 pm

phelix wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:tbh I have only a vague idea how FreeSpeechMe works... is this any similar to it?

I just happened to run across pymiproxy and played with it a little. It was fun and cool how little code was necessary to make .bit domains work (without TLS that is).
Yep, quite similar to FreeSpeechMe. FreeSpeechMe uses the proxy code in Convergence, and adds a little bit of code to interface with NMControl. The main difference is that Convergence's proxy has built-in support for doing a MITM on TLS and checking the resulting certs, which is useful for us.
I should really take a closer look at FreeSpeechMe. This proxy has some kind of MITM TLS, too, but I did not yet get it to work.

btw: I renamed the files so that they can actually be downloaded.
Pull requests for FreeSpeechMe are always appreciated. :)
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

Post Reply