[ANN] Fundraiser for NMC MultiBit Port

Forum rules
Warning !
Avoid using binary softwares from untrusted users.
Prefer compiling it yourself and verify sources.
virtual_master

Re: [ANN] Fundraiser for NMC MultiBit Port

Post by virtual_master »

FrictionlessCoin wrote: Right now, registering and looking up of names will be out of scope for this project. This is a straight port of the MultiBit client. I think there is enough complexity in the Namecoin block chain for me to not want to tackle the Namecoin specific features for now.

We can discuss the issues if you would like.
But this is exactly which would have the most sense. My best respect for the Multibit project but the Namecoin blockchain is much smaller than the Bitcoin so it wouldn't have much sense to port it to Namecoin at the moment. But to port it only for transactions it would have even less sense.
Best would be to have a lite client for (.bit) names only as a browser add-on to enable .bit DNS query without relying on an external server. That could be a step toward integrating .bit surfing ability directly in the main browsers.
http://namecoinia.org/
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

virtual_master wrote:
FrictionlessCoin wrote: Right now, registering and looking up of names will be out of scope for this project. This is a straight port of the MultiBit client. I think there is enough complexity in the Namecoin block chain for me to not want to tackle the Namecoin specific features for now.

But this is exactly which would have the most sense. My best respect for the Multibit project but the Namecoin blockchain is much smaller than the Bitcoin so it wouldn't have much sense to port it to Namecoin at the moment. But to port it only for transactions it would have even less sense.
Best would be to have a lite client for (.bit) names only as a browser add-on to enable .bit DNS query without relying on an external server. That could be a step toward integrating .bit surfing ability directly in the main browsers.
FWIW I downloaded the Namecoin blockchain in under 3 hours on a single-core Windows 8 VM with a cell phone Internet connection. I don't think blockchain size is a particularly bad barrier to entry at current adoption levels, but the people who will care the most about having to wait 3 hours are the browser users, who won't be helped by this project.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

FrictionlessCoin

Post by FrictionlessCoin »

virtual_master wrote:

This is where we clearly disagree. Namecoin adoption has stagnated because of the lack of a decent user interface that is available in the major desktop and smart phone platforms. If you think something else is a priority, then you are welcome to start your own project.

However, I believe this is of highest priority and therefore I am committing to do the work for this.

Namecoin needs to be taken main stream and a 3 hour download of a block chain is not acceptable.
Last edited by FrictionlessCoin on Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FrictionlessCoin

biolizard89 wrote:
virtual_master wrote:

FWIW I downloaded the Namecoin blockchain in under 3 hours on a single-core Windows 8 VM with a cell phone Internet connection. I don't think blockchain size is a particularly bad barrier to entry at current adoption levels, but the people who will care the most about having to wait 3 hours are the browser users, who won't be helped by this project.
If you think an insta-wallet project for Namecoin is better, then please propose that project.

However, I believe that there are a lot of people who have heavily invested in namecoin as a currency (37 million USD worth) that are demanding more security for their coins.

Namecoin's name registration is certainly innovative, however the biggest value at this time is people are beginning to see value in its currency features.

virtual_master

Post by virtual_master »

FrictionlessCoin wrote: If you think an insta-wallet project for Namecoin is better, then please propose that project.

However, I believe that there are a lot of people who have heavily invested in namecoin as a currency (37 million USD worth) that are demanding more security for their coins.

Namecoin's name registration is certainly innovative, however the biggest value at this time is people are beginning to see value in its currency features.
I thought again about your idea and it could have sense on Android where there is less space for a full blockchain and where we are less developed. But ideally it should support name operations also.

I am not against Namecoin as currency but there would bring more to write to Coinkite.com(debit card) and Bitpay.com(payment on websites) to ask them to support NMC also.
By Kraken such a request action was successful.
Calendars for free to print: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF Protect the Environment with Namecoin: 2014 Calendar in JPG | 2014 Calendar in PDF
BTC: 15KXVQv7UGtUoTe5VNWXT1bMz46MXuePba | NMC: NABFA31b3x7CvhKMxcipUqA3TnKsNfCC7S

FrictionlessCoin

virtual_master wrote:
FrictionlessCoin wrote: If you think an insta-wallet project for Namecoin is better, then please propose that project.

I thought again about your idea and it could have sense on Android where there is less space for a full blockchain and where we are less developed. But ideally it should support name operations also.

I am not against Namecoin as currency but there would bring more to write to Coinkite.com(debit card) and Bitpay.com(payment on websites) to ask them to support NMC also.
By Kraken such a request action was successful.
Ideally, is should support name operations. Unfortunately we live in a real world with real world constraints.

Kraken? Not familiar with that, can you explain what was successful?

virtual_master

Post by virtual_master »

FrictionlessCoin wrote: Ideally, is should support name operations. Unfortunately we live in a real world with real world constraints.

Kraken? Not familiar with that, can you explain what was successful?
https://www.kraken.com/
A good FOREX trading company actually supporting Bitcoin, Litecoin, Namecoin, Ripple, USD and EUR exchange and margin trading.
About half of year ago we wrote to them asking to support Namecoin also and they very friendly implemented it also.

It would enhance NMC as payment if the debit card provider Coinkite and some payment providers(gateways) would also support it as it would be possible to pay directly with NMC on the internet or take fiat from an automate with a NMC founding.
https://coinkite.com/
https://bitpay.com/
eventually Coinbase also
https://coinbase.com

We could write to them each of us an email asking to support NMC as payment method.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

FrictionlessCoin wrote:If you think an insta-wallet project for Namecoin is better, then please propose that project.

I have to disagree here. Namecoin's currency is identical to that of Bitcoin. Why would anyone use Namecoin as a serious currency when Bitcoin exists? (Speculators and market manipulators do not count as serious currency users to me.) Namecoin's primary use case is as a name/value pair storage system, not a currency.

What do you mean by "insta-wallet project"? Do you mean the web wallet service? No one suggested that in this thread as far as I can tell.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

FrictionlessCoin

biolizard89 wrote:
I have to disagree here. Namecoin's currency is identical to that of Bitcoin. Why would anyone use Namecoin as a serious currency when Bitcoin exists? (Speculators and market manipulators do not count as serious currency users to me.) Namecoin's primary use case is as a name/value pair storage system, not a currency.
Sad, just really sad.

FrictionlessCoin

So, I create a proposal that would create a wallet for multiple operating systems.

Guess what I get, a peanut gallery and folks throwing monkey wrenches of ideas to make it more difficult to implement.

Meanwhile, I get zero funding from these same people.

For some reason, people over here seem to to feel entitled however do very little work to improve the situation. Just crazy.

Anyway, if I don't get any funding from the community, then I'll just release it as a closed source solution.