Automated Build

Forum rules
Warning !
Avoid using binary softwares from untrusted users.
Prefer compiling it yourself and verify sources.
indolering

Re: Automated Build

Post by indolering »

Thanks Dolphin!

BTW, your blog post mentions that the wiki is out of date, would you mind updating it? Or clue me in so I can do it?
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

dolphin

Post by dolphin »

BTW, your blog post mentions that the wiki is out of date, would you mind updating it? Or clue me in so I can do it?
Sure, I just registered at the Wiki but can't make changes yet... Here is what I'd suggest
WARNING: this method uses the latest development code from the git repo. It that may be UNTESTED, you could LOSE COINS or corrupt your wallets. Back-up your wallet before using this code!

This produces the binary namecoind in namecoin/src directory. Shell git clone https://github.com/namecoin/namecoin.git cd namecoin/src make -f makefile.unix namecoind
We need to replace the last sentence with something similar to what I have in the blog:

git clone https://github.com/namecoin/namecoin.git
cd namecoin/src
make

The instructions at Wiki refer to makefile.unix. However, I don't think it is there. There is a regular Makefile that is picked up by the "make" command. The three lines above are sufficient for Ubuntu and derivatives. In order to compile on RedHat one needs to make changes in the blog posts.
NameCoin and Security News
Chrome extension for Gmail encryption - protect your identity and E-mails using NameCoin

indolering

Post by indolering »

dolphin wrote:
Sure, I just registered at the Wiki but can't make changes yet... Here is what I'd suggest
You should be able to make changes, but they will need confirmation before showing up. Is that not what you are experiencing?

dolphin

Post by dolphin »

I've tried editing again, but, unfortunately, still no luck. It shows a box with the text "Unchecked" at the top right and does not show any "Edit" or similar links/buttons on the main page or at Build Namecoin from Source

However, when I click on the "Unchecked" link it does show an "Edit" button at the top toolbar, but that is for editing the page that says "
To help combat spam and improve quality, edits by new users are not shown until they have been reviewed. Ping us on the forums or email zachlym@indolering.com for help
."

Am I the only one struggling with edits? Is there anything else, I need to do?
Chrome extension for Gmail encryption - protect your identity and E-mails using NameCoin

indolering

Post by indolering »

dolphin wrote:I've tried editing again, but, unfortunately, still no luck. It shows a box with the text "Unchecked" at the top right and does not show any "Edit" or similar links/buttons on the main page or at Build Namecoin from Source

However, when I click on the "Unchecked" link it does show an "Edit" button at the top toolbar, but that is for editing the page that says "
To help combat spam and improve quality, edits by new users are not shown until they have been reviewed. Ping us on the forums or email zachlym@indolering.com for help
."

Am I the only one struggling with edits? Is there anything else, I need to do?
No, now that I looked into it the install page was locked for security reasons. However, I believe we should move any such pages to documentation on Github so people can at least submit a formal PR request.

dolphin

Post by dolphin »

To follow-up on CentOS/RedHat support, my initial patch, while fully workable, did not seem to be the best option going forward as some of core development team members pointed out. I started working on another option, per recommendations made in the pull request, but run into questions that people here may have good input on. For example, would it be worthwhile to drag over the BIP32 support along with CentOS/RedHat changes if it makes them easier and more consistent with BitCoin. I've opened a new thread on that topic at https://forum.namecoin.info/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2034 Please, share your thoughts either here or there.