Automated Build

Forum rules
Warning !
Avoid using binary softwares from untrusted users.
Prefer compiling it yourself and verify sources.
indolering

Re: Automated Build

Post by indolering »

pmc wrote:

Code: Select all

echo "deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/p_conrad:/coins/xUbuntu_13.04/ ./" >/etc/apt/sources.list.d/obs-pconrad-coins.list
The "echo" command returns a permissions error, even with sudo correcting `xUbuntu_13.04/ ./" >/etc/apt/` -> `xUbuntu_13.04/ ./" > /etc/apt/` (although I'm not sure if the space makes any difference). I had to manually create the file using Nano and paste it in.

Install failed on 12.04, it only has libboost 1.96, not 1.99. `namecoind -d` results in `namecoin: cannot connect to X server`.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

pmc

Post by pmc »

indolering wrote:
pmc wrote:

echo "deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/p_conrad:/coins/xUbuntu_13.04/ ./" >/etc/apt/sources.list.d/obs-pconrad-coins.list
The "echo" command returns a permissions error, even with sudo correcting `xUbuntu_13.04/ ./" >/etc/apt/` -> `xUbuntu_13.04/ ./" > /etc/apt/` (although I'm not sure if the space makes any difference).
That's because the '>' is evaluated before sudo is invoked, i. e. with your user's permissions. You can avoid that problem by using an actual root shell instead of sudo'ing each command. (And no, the space doesn't make a difference.)
indolering wrote: Install failed on 12.04, it only has libboost 1.96, not 1.99.
That's to be expected as the packages were built for 13.04, not 12.04.
indolering wrote: `namecoind -d` results in `namecoin: cannot connect to X server`.
You must have mistyped that. namecoind doesn't need an X server. namecoin (without 'd') is the qt client.

indolering

Post by indolering »

pmc wrote: That's because the '>' is evaluated before sudo is invoked, i. e. with your user's permissions. You can avoid that problem by using an actual root shell instead of sudo'ing each command. (And no, the space doesn't make a difference.)
Ahh, I'm using Ansible so ... Googles ... 'sh -c' it is!
pmc wrote: That's to be expected as the packages were built for 13.04, not 12.04.
You had expressed interest in getting older builds to work as well. I thought you would be interested.
indolering wrote: `namecoind -d` results in `namecoin: cannot connect to X server`.
You must have mistyped that. namecoind doesn't need an X server. namecoin (without 'd') is the qt client.[/quote]

No, I did not:

$ namecoin -d
$ namecoin: cannot connect to X server 
: )

pmc

Post by pmc »

indolering wrote: You had expressed interest in getting older builds to work as well. I thought you would be interested.
Well... the build environments for Ubuntu-12.x on OBS don't include libboost. That means I'd have to build my own version of libboost just for these build environments. OTOH, the next Ubuntu LTS version is due in only a couple of months, so I seriously doubt it is worth the trouble.
indolering wrote:

$ namecoin -d
Are your trying to run namecoin as root while you're logged in as a user? The error message is rather generic and indicates there's a problem with your environment not with the application.

indolering

Post by indolering »

pmc wrote: Well... the build environments for Ubuntu-12.x on OBS don't include libboost. That means I'd have to build my own version of libboost just for these build environments. OTOH, the next Ubuntu LTS version is due in only a couple of months, so I seriously doubt it is worth the trouble.
Sorry for the bother, just trying to be helpful : )
pmc wrote:
indolering wrote:

$ namecoin -d
Are your trying to run namecoin as root while you're logged in as a user? The error message is rather generic and indicates there's a problem with your environment not with the application.
It's a stock Ubuntu build from GreenQloud, I'm not sure what could be wrong. I'll move onto Ubuntu 13 and report back.

indolering

Post by indolering »

Upgrade to Ubuntu 13.04 via 'do-release-upgrade' and I'm still getting the same error message.... I uninstalled and reinstalled Namecoin, no joy.

pmc

Post by pmc »

I can reproduce the error by unsetting the DISPLAY environment variable. I have no idea why this isn't set in your shell. As I said before, this is a problem with your environment not with the application.

Have you tried starting namecoin using the dash or whatever desktop menu you are using?

indolering

Post by indolering »

pmc wrote:I can reproduce the error by unsetting the DISPLAY environment variable. I have no idea why this isn't set in your shell. As I said before, this is a problem with your environment not with the application.

Have you tried starting namecoin using the dash or whatever desktop menu you are using?
It's the server build, I don't know why it's not set either. I'll submit a ticket.

indolering

Post by indolering »

indolering wrote:
pmc wrote:I can reproduce the error by unsetting the DISPLAY environment variable. I have no idea why this isn't set in your shell. As I said before, this is a problem with your environment not with the application.

It's the server build, I don't know why it's not set either. I'll submit a ticket.
Oh, well, it isn't set because X isn't installed. So this is strictly a Namecoin-qt build, NOT namecoin/namecoind? Can I trick it to run using namecoin -d without the X config setting?

pmc

Post by pmc »

indolering wrote: Oh, well, it isn't set because X isn't installed.
Argh!
indolering wrote:So this is strictly a Namecoin-qt build, NOT namecoin/namecoind? Can I trick it to run using namecoin -d
without the X config setting?
The package contains both namecoind and the gui (qt) version, which is installed as "namecoin". If you want to run the gui version you need an X display. If you have an X display on your local machine and you're using ssh to log into your server, you can specify the "-X" option to ssh. Then ssh will set $DISPLAY in the remote shell and forward the gui to your local display when running namecoin (i. e. the qt version).

If you don't have an X display you can only use namecoind.