Automated Build

Forum rules
Warning !
Avoid using binary softwares from untrusted users.
Prefer compiling it yourself and verify sources.
pmc

Re: Automated Build

Post by pmc »

indolering wrote:
pmc wrote: I have thought about this and decided that I won't do it (except for the openSUSE packages if you're interested). Of course I don't mind anyone taking my packages and using them in whatever upstream they want.
Any reason other than it being a huge PITA so far? :p
Mostly it's because I'm not familiar with submission policies for the various distros. Yes, I assume it'll be a PITA to meet all the different requirements. :-/
indolering wrote: And yes, I would really love to see that in openSUSE. I will see if I can't round up anyone else to get things going.
I'll see what I can do.

indolering

Post by indolering »

pmc wrote: Mostly it's because I'm not familiar with submission policies for the various distros. Yes, I assume it'll be a PITA to meet all the different requirements. :-/
Well, so far my installation efforts have been the source of most of this pain. From what I can tell, each distro has the same dance of submitting for inclusion onto a mailing list, having someone check your code, and then uploading it. After that initial waggle dance I am betting we could automate future updates, as long as we have a solid build system and functional test coverage.
pmc wrote:
indolering wrote: And yes, I would really love to see that in openSUSE. I will see if I can't round up anyone else to get things going.
I'll see what I can do.
Please, keep in the back of your mind what steps we could automate across the distros.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

pmc

Post by pmc »

pmc wrote:
I'll see what I can do.
Good news: my package has been accepted in the "network" project on openSUSE (that's where the bitcoin package lives, too): https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... k/namecoin

indolering

Post by indolering »

pmc wrote:
pmc wrote:
I'll see what I can do.
Good news: my package has been accepted in the "network" project on openSUSE (that's where the bitcoin package lives, too): https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... k/namecoin
That was fast! Are you sure you don't want to try submitting to any of the other repos? I promise I won't drag you into troubleshooting them :p

khal
Site Admin

Post by khal »

pmc wrote:Good news: my package has been accepted in the "network" project on openSUSE (that's where the bitcoin package lives, too): https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... k/namecoin
Good job :)

I have submitted a pull request on namecoin.info to use this for linux binaries.
NamecoinID: id/khal
GPG : 9CC5B92E965D69A9
NMC: N1KHAL5C1CRzy58NdJwp1tbLze3XrkFxx9
BTC: 1KHAL8bUjnkMRMg9yd2dNrYnJgZGH8Nj6T

Register Namecoin domains with BTC
My bitcoin Identity - Send messages to bitcoin users
Charity Ad - Make a good deed without paying a cent

pmc

Post by pmc »

indolering wrote: That was fast! Are you sure you don't want to try submitting to any of the other repos? I promise I won't drag you into troubleshooting them :p
Yep, I'm sure. 8-)

indolering

Post by indolering »

Uhh, PMC? You know how I'm an idiot?
from IRC wrote: Shell: indolering: the issue with distro repos, as I explained to someone else, is that for the release-based OSes, you get stuck with the same version of your software in their repos for significant amounts of time; a couple of years at least for Debian, for example. and with cryptocurrencies, that essentially means that you either have trouble modifying the protocol rules more than once every couple of years, or have to inform everyone that they're not supposed to be using their distro's packages when you do modify the protocol rules.
indolering: Shell: I don't understand, the repos update software all the time….
Shell: indolering: no, they don't, not for anything aside from the BSDs, Gentoo, and Arch. unless you're on the "testing" or "unstable" repo for other distros, every package gets frozen with the release of each OS version.
indolering: That's weird, it kind of defeats the purpose.
Jeremy_Rand: The Bitcoin devs released an open letter asking distros to not release packages for Bitcoin
Shell: indolering: for something which needs to be updated regularly, running a separate repo tends to be the way to go. Chrome does that, for example.
Jeremy_Rand: I suspect this may be one of their reasons
indolering: Whoah, okay.
indolering: We got into OpenSUSE.
indolering: Do you know if they have the same system?
indolering: Do you know their update policy? Should I get our package yanked?
Shell: indolering: yes, OpenSUSE have a package freeze policy on their main repo.
indolering: Yeah, sorry, I'll get shit pulled ASAP.
: P

pmc

Post by pmc »

indolering wrote:
from IRC wrote: Shell: indolering: yes, OpenSUSE have a package freeze policy on their main repo.
Don't worry. The keyword here is "main repo". The namecoin package is in the "network" project, which is a development project. Meaning that getting updates in there will be just as quick and easy as getting it accepted for the first time.

The good thing about having it in the "network" project is that you don't depend on me for updates. Anyone can branch it and request to have their modifications included.

"Shell" does have a point, though. I know that openSUSE updates packages in their main repo in between releases, but this is usually an exception, not a rule.

I don't known much about the structure of other distros. It would certainly be advisable to check their update policies before trying to getting the package accepted.

indolering

Post by indolering »

pmc wrote: Don't worry. The keyword here is "main repo". The namecoin package is in the "network" project, which is a development project. Meaning that getting updates in there will be just as quick and easy as getting it accepted for the first time.
Yay!

Yeah, I think we should try to get into Gentoo, MacPorts, the BSDs, and a PPA for Ubuntu. We are in Arch and OpenSUSE.

dolphin

Post by dolphin »

I've made the most recent NameCoin trunk version compile on CentOS and submitted a pull request to incorporate the changes in the trunk. The key issue to get it compile and run on CentOS (and I'm guessing RedHat) is that the OpenSSL version that ships with RedHat/CentOS is missing some of ECC intialization vectors that are present on Ubuntu and used in NameCoin/BitCoin. I wrote more on that in the pull request https://github.com/namecoin/namecoin/pull/129 and also in blog entries http://securedolphin.com/blog/running-n ... -redhat-62, http://securedolphin.com/blog/building- ... -centos-62

Check it out if anyone needs to compile and run NameCoin on CentOS/RedHat while my pull request is still pending. I guess, if there is enough need and votes for CentOS and RedHat that may expedite inclusion in the main trunk.

Cheers,
Dolphin
NameCoin and Security News
Chrome extension for Gmail encryption - protect your identity and E-mails using NameCoin