Automated Build

Forum rules
Warning !
Avoid using binary softwares from untrusted users.
Prefer compiling it yourself and verify sources.
indolering

Re: Automated Build

Post by indolering »

pmc wrote:
indolering wrote: Oh, well, it isn't set because X isn't installed.
Argh!
indolering wrote:So this is strictly a Namecoin-qt build, NOT namecoin/namecoind? Can I trick it to run using namecoin -d
without the X config setting?
The package contains both namecoind and the gui (qt) version, which is installed as "namecoin". If you want to run the gui version you need an X display. If you have an X display on your local machine and you're using ssh to log into your server, you can specify the "-X" option to ssh. Then ssh will set $DISPLAY in the remote shell and forward the gui to your local display when running namecoin (i. e. the qt version).

If you don't have an X display you can only use namecoind.
But even namecoin -d returns the X display error. OH, but there is a namecoind command, I don't think that the vanilla namecoin Git repo enabled that. Or I wasn't totally awake when testing it.

Hrm, that appears to be throwing errors

Code: Select all

ubuntu@i-328b16f5:~$ namecoind -d

EXCEPTION: N5boost12interprocess22interprocess_exceptionE       
No such file or directory       
namecoin in AppInit()       

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::interprocess::interprocess_exception'
  what():  No such file or directory
Aborted (core dumped)
ubuntu@i-328b16f5:~$ 
However, just I tried installing libcoin and it might have overwritten the Boost libs. I'll try again tonight.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

pmc

Post by pmc »

indolering wrote:OH, but there is a namecoind command, I don't think that the vanilla namecoin Git repo enabled that.
The bitcoin repo as well as most of its derivates contain a *.pro file for building the qt client and src/makefile.unix or similar for building the daemon.
indolering wrote: Hrm, that appears to be throwing errors
Now that I'm back home I'll create some VMs for building and testing. That should simplify a few things...

indolering

Post by indolering »

pmc wrote:
indolering wrote:OH, but there is a namecoind command, I don't think that the vanilla namecoin Git repo enabled that.
The bitcoin repo as well as most of its derivates contain a *.pro file for building the qt client and src/makefile.unix or similar for building the daemon.
indolering wrote: Hrm, that appears to be throwing errors
Now that I'm back home I'll create some VMs for building and testing. That should simplify a few things...
Updating fresh servers to 13.04 now :D

indolering

Post by indolering »

Still not working, not sure how relevant the following dump is. It could be me messing up the settings again.

Have you gotten it working on local (i.e. virtualized) Ubuntu desktop/server instances?

ubuntu@i-01ede0ea:~$ sudo namecoind -d

EXCEPTION: N5boost16exception_detail10clone_implINS0_19error_info_injectorINS_6system12system_errorEEEEE       
bind: Address already in use       
namecoin in ThreadRPCServer()       

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'boost::exception_detail::clone_impl<boost::exception_detail::error_info_injector<boost::system::system_error> >'
  what():  bind: Address already in use
ubuntu@i-01ede0ea:~$ ls -l .namecoin
total 160
-rw------- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 16384 Jan 12 02:42 addr.dat
-rw------- 1 ubuntu ubuntu   300 Jan 12 02:42 blk0001.dat
-rw------- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 16384 Jan 12 02:42 blkindex.dat
drwx------ 2 ubuntu ubuntu  4096 Jan 12 02:42 database
-rw------- 1 ubuntu ubuntu     0 Jan 12 02:42 db.log
-rw------- 1 ubuntu ubuntu  8116 Jan 12 03:17 debug.log
-rw-rw-r-- 1 ubuntu ubuntu    67 Jan 12 02:42 namecoin.conf
-rw------- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 16384 Jan 12 02:42 nameindex.dat
-rw------- 1 ubuntu ubuntu 94208 Jan 12 02:42 wallet.dat

pmc

Post by pmc »

Hi,
indolering wrote:Still not working, not sure how relevant the following dump is.

[...]
there's probably already a namecoind instance running on the machine. Or something else has attached to the port (unlikely).

And there's no need to run namecoind with sudo. Generally, don't run stuff as root unless it's absolutely necessary.
indolering wrote: Have you gotten it working on local (i.e. virtualized) Ubuntu desktop/server instances?
I still have to create + install that instance...

indolering

Post by indolering »

pmc wrote:
indolering wrote:Still not working, not sure how relevant the following dump is.

[...]
there's probably already a namecoind instance running on the machine. Or something else has attached to the port (unlikely).
Yeah, I thought about both of those problems and rebooted the machine as well as performed multiple clean installs. I don't think that's it but I'm not 100% sure.
pmc wrote: And there's no need to run namecoind with sudo. Generally, don't run stuff as root unless it's absolutely necessary.
Using Ansible, everything was getting installed as being owned by root. I was using Sudo to get around the errors that resulted from that :p
pmc wrote:
indolering wrote: Have you gotten it working on local (i.e. virtualized) Ubuntu desktop/server instances?
I still have to create + install that instance...
That would make things move much faster, as I haven't been very careful in my testing setup/config the bug reports aren't very reliable :P

The Ubuntu builds appear to have boost included in their default repos, is there anyway to get the ubuntu/deb packages made without supplying boost as well? I know OBS doesn't include them but I ran into another problem when trying to build on a desktop version...

pmc

Post by pmc »

indolering wrote:

Yeah, I thought about both of those problems and rebooted the machine as well as performed multiple clean installs. I don't think that's it but I'm not 100% sure.
...and with "clean install" you mean you've also deleted your $HOME/.namecoin ? Btw, you always use the "-d" option - have you tried without it? (I'm not even sure what that option does.) Is there anything in your namecoin.conf, like strange rpc port assignments?
indolering wrote: Using Ansible, everything was getting installed as being owned by root. I was using Sudo to get around the errors that resulted from that :p
Installed stuff is usually owned by root. That shouldn't cause any problems.
I've created a VM on my machine and installed Ubuntu-13.10 desktop. Then I followed the namecoin installation instructions from my earlier posts, with an additional "wget ...Release.key" and "apt-key add Release.key" before "apt-get update".
"apt-get install namecoin" then installed my namecoin package plus some system libraries (boost + db).

I was then able to start the namecoin gui using the desktop search and it immediately started downloading the blockchain, as expected.

Running the gui by invoking "namecoin" in a shell window worked, too, just as running "namecoind" (after setting rpcuser + password in $HOME/.namecoin/namecoin.conf).
indolering wrote:
The Ubuntu builds appear to have boost included in their default repos, is there anyway to get the ubuntu/deb packages made without supplying boost as well? I know OBS doesn't include them but I ran into another problem when trying to build on a desktop version...
I'm not quite sure what you mean. I don't supply boost in my repo. My namecoin package requires boost (among other things), which is then pulled in from the Ubuntu default repo by "apt-get install". That's how it's supposed to work.

I also can't see an easy way around this, as there don't seem to be static boost libraries available.

indolering

Post by indolering »

pmc wrote:
indolering wrote:

...and with "clean install" you mean you've also deleted your $HOME/.namecoin ? Btw, you always use the "-d" option - have you tried without it? (I'm not even sure what that option does.) Is there anything in your namecoin.conf, like strange rpc port assignments?
Yes, I deleted .namecoin and I even tried scrapping the install entirely. -d is the daemon switch, but that shouldn't cause namecoind to fail. And no, standard port assignments.
pmc wrote:
indolering wrote: Using Ansible, everything was getting installed as being owned by root. I was using Sudo to get around the errors that resulted from that :p
Installed stuff is usually owned by root. That shouldn't cause any problems.
The .namecoin stuff is owned by whatever user spun up namecoin for the first time, not root. Not using sudo lead to file errors.
pmc wrote: I've created a VM on my machine and installed Ubuntu-13.10 desktop. Then I followed the namecoin installation instructions from my earlier posts, with an additional "wget ...Release.key" and "apt-key add Release.key" before "apt-get update".
"apt-get install namecoin" then installed my namecoin package plus some system libraries (boost + db).

I was then able to start the namecoin gui using the desktop search and it immediately started downloading the blockchain, as expected.

Running the gui by invoking "namecoin" in a shell window worked, too, just as running "namecoind" (after setting rpcuser + password in $HOME/.namecoin/namecoin.conf).
So the daemon will run without QT?
pmc wrote: I'm not quite sure what you mean. I don't supply boost in my repo. My namecoin package requires boost (among other things), which is then pulled in from the Ubuntu default repo by "apt-get install". That's how it's supposed to work.

I also can't see an easy way around this, as there don't seem to be static boost libraries available.
When I used 12->13 box I had upgraded, it gave me an error about Boost >x.49-1 being required but not installable. I thought your repo supplied the boost libs (because OBS didn't include them)....

Perhaps this just has to do with the 12->13 upgrade, but clearly it's on my end and not worth further troubleshooting until the next LTS comes out. I'll just spin up a CentOS install and go from there.

At any rate, are you interested in trying to get these into the upstream repos and maintaining them?

pmc

Post by pmc »

Hi,
indolering wrote: The .namecoin stuff is owned by whatever user spun up namecoin for the first time, not root. Not using sudo lead to file errors.
well, every user has his own $HOME/.namecoin, so $HOME/.namecoin and everything in it should belong to $USER.
Using sudo can create problems because sometimes the executed program runs with root UID but $HOME set to the actual user's home instead of ~root. Then suddenly $HOME/.namecoin or some of the files in there belong to root, so the user can't run namecoin without using sudo anymore.
indolering wrote:
So the daemon will run without QT?
Yes.
indolering wrote: At any rate, are you interested in trying to get these into the upstream repos and maintaining them?
I have thought about this and decided that I won't do it (except for the openSUSE packages if you're interested). Of course I don't mind anyone taking my packages and using them in whatever upstream they want.

indolering

Post by indolering »

pmc wrote: I have thought about this and decided that I won't do it (except for the openSUSE packages if you're interested). Of course I don't mind anyone taking my packages and using them in whatever upstream they want.
Any reason other than it being a huge PITA so far? :p

And yes, I would really love to see that in openSUSE. I will see if I can't round up anyone else to get things going.