0.3.24.66 Crashes

Namecoin, NMControl
dtoren

0.3.24.66 Crashes

Post by dtoren »

Upon exiting namecoind.exe for Windows (I'm on Windows 7 x86), I receive an error:

Code: Select all

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.
as such the application's __db.xxx are not removed as well as in general it being a little disconcerting.

Upon making a new %APPDATA%/Namecoin (except the blockchain files blk001.dat and blkindex.dat) I can't even get the application to run due to a separate error:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'DbRunRecoveryException'
  what():  DbEnv::txn_checkpoint: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery

Can I somehow initiate a database recovery? I assume this is due to my deletion of %APPDATA%/Namecoin/database

When the client sucessfully starts, I frequently get a message saying:

Socket error: connect, 0
I don't know much about Namecoin, as I'm no mathematician and my programming skills are limited to BaSH :D but I hope the info is useful.
Last edited by dtoren on Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

phelix

Re: 0.3.24.26 Crashes

Post by phelix »

dtoren wrote:Upon exiting namecoind.exe for Windows (I'm on Windows 7 x86), I receive an error:

as such the application's __db.xxx are not removed as well as in general it being a little disconcerting.

Upon making a new %APPDATA%/Namecoin (except the blockchain files blk001.dat and blkindex.dat) I can't even get the application to run due to a separate error:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'DbRunRecoveryException'
  what():  DbEnv::txn_checkpoint: DB_RUNRECOVERY: Fatal error, run database recovery

Can I somehow initiate a database recovery? I assume this is due to my deletion of %APPDATA%/Namecoin/database

When the client sucessfully starts, I frequently get a message saying:

Socket error: connect, 0
I don't know much about Namecoin, as I'm no mathematician and my programming skills are limited to BaSH :D but I hope the info is useful.
I assume that is a typo and you really mean 0.3.24.66

did you properly shut it down? with a second instance: namecoind stop

you can try to rename blkindex.dat and start with -rescan option

also you can run a berkeley db recovery and if you are lucky it will work again. I would redownload before doing that.

btw: it would be very nice if the daemon would respond to a special key to properly shut down. always wondere why bitcoin did not have that.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

dtoren

Post by dtoren »

phelix wrote: I assume that is a typo and you really mean 0.3.24.66

also you can run a berkeley db recovery and if you are lucky it will work again. I would redownload before doing that.

btw: it would be very nice if the daemon would respond to a special key to properly shut down. always wondere why bitcoin did not have that.
Typo fixed.

I haven't tried a proper shutdown, I'll try that next time. Is there a way to do that while using NamecoinGUI? I'll try it while it's running, but the GUI may try to start it up again.

Yes, I've noticed that Ctrl+C causes the error I mentioned.

phelix

Post by phelix »

dtoren wrote:
phelix wrote: I assume that is a typo and you really mean 0.3.24.66

Typo fixed.

I haven't tried a proper shutdown, I'll try that next time. Is there a way to do that while using NamecoinGUI? I'll try it while it's running, but the GUI may try to start it up again.

Yes, I've noticed that Ctrl+C causes the error I mentioned.
hmm I have never tried the gui. But it really should properly shut down the daemon.
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

dtoren

Re: 0.3.24.66 Crashes

Post by dtoren »

Neither a proper shutdown while running the GUI or otherwise works. Both leave a large number of debugging files in the data directory. Oh well... it may be a problem on my end. It's thankfully only a cosmetic issue in my case. And a little disk usage.