Compiling is hell on earth.

Namecoin, NMControl
supra

Compiling is hell on earth.

Post by supra »

Guys, since there aren't any functional binaries for OS X anymore, I think it's time to help a brotha out. Tried compiling from source, but the documents are... a little dated. Whoever is in charge of making OS X binaries, please make the process clear for us mere mortals and maybe submit a patch to the repo.

For the health of the network!

doublec

Re: Compiling is hell on earth.

Post by doublec »

supra wrote:Guys, since there aren't any functional binaries for OS X anymore, I think it's time to help a brotha out. Tried compiling from source, but the documents are... a little dated. Whoever is in charge of making OS X binaries, please make the process clear for us mere mortals and maybe submit a patch to the repo.

For the health of the network!
What error are you getting? I installed the dependancies from macports and it built fine last time I tried on a mac iirc.

supra

Post by supra »

Couldn't get boost set up correctly. Anyways, I just gave up and sold my namecoins (after using a linux binary). No future for this project if the developers can't be buggered to release up-to-date binaries for common platforms. The tumbleweeds are piling up over in the corner over there --->

doublec

Post by doublec »

supra wrote:Couldn't get boost set up correctly.
Isn't it just 'port install libboost' or something like that?

supra

Post by supra »

Thought I'd come back to see if there was anything useful.

Code: Select all

$ port install libboost
bash: port: command not found
So uh... yeah.

Anyways, I tried to follow the instructions in "doc" for OS X, but I didn't save the messages when boost failed to compile. I'll not bother to try again, unless the instructions are clearly laid out for me. The software is essentially useless without documentation.

Since you can build namecoind, why not update the downloads on the main page? The one up there now for OS X won't run on any of my machines. I put the error message in another thread. You can check my history for that post. Seems pointless to have a non-executable executable.

doublec

Post by doublec »

supra wrote:

Code: Select all

$ port install libboost
bash: port: command not found
Install macports. That will give you the 'port' command. Then install the dependencies using 'port'. This way you know they'll build and be installed correctly. You can then build namecoind using the Makefile.unix file.

supra

Post by supra »

I tried installing macports and compiling, without success.

Let me be clear. I don't have the technical ability to compile this software, but I would like to run it on my computer. For the past few months, I have not been able to do so, because the binaries posted on the main page no longer function.

If the developers don't want to compile the software for Mac OS X, that's fine. Just realize that there are others who are in the same boat as I and cannot help the network without updated, precompiled binaries. Without up to date binaries for all platforms (as bitcoin does provide) on the main page, this project is as good as dead.