Namecoin 0.12

Namecoin, NMControl
domob

Namecoin 0.12

Post by domob »

Since Bitcoin just released the official 0.12.0, I've tagged another Namecoin release: https://github.com/namecoin/namecoin-co ... c0.12.0rc2 This is directly based off the final Bitcoin 0.12.0. If you can, please test and give feedback. When there seem to be no issues, we can also release the final 0.12.

We should either wait for some of the currently ongoing efforts (GUI patch and upcoming hardfork) for that, or backport and release 0.12.1 as required.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

somename

Re: Namecoin 0.12

Post by somename »

Posted one issue - the code can't build on my machine.

johnc

Post by johnc »

It build just fine with easywinbuilder.
at least on virtual PC 2007 with windows xp.
We should either wait for some of the currently ongoing efforts (GUI patch and upcoming hardfork) for that, or backport and release 0.12.1 as required.
I would like to have the hardfork activate itself two weeks after 95% of the blocks use the latest version...

as for the GUI patch, mark it as experimental or unstable, until the way lost name-transactions are handled is worked out... Miners and exchanges don't need it, so maybe fork it?, one with the gui and one without.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

johnc wrote:It build just fine with easywinbuilder.
at least on virtual PC 2007 with windows xp.
I would like to have the hardfork activate itself two weeks after 95% of the blocks use the latest version...

as for the GUI patch, mark it as experimental or unstable, until the way lost name-transactions are handled is worked out... Miners and exchanges don't need it, so maybe fork it?, one with the gui and one without.
EasyWinBuilder is an ugly hack. The right way to build for Windows is Gitian, and as far as I can tell the rc2 code doesn't build there, because a few necessary changes haven't been merged yet.

I definitely would like to have a stable 0.12 binary for some time before we do the hardfork, because if there are bugs in Namecoin Core, we need to know about them before 0.3.80 is kicked off the network. That includes the name tab GUI.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the name tab PR. What lost name transactions are you talking about? If you found a bug, I haven't seen you report it on GitHub. Maintaining 2 parallel codebases is something I strongly NACK; it's already more work than I enjoy to produce Gitian sigs for one codebase, and I'm confident that Daniel has no interest in having to merge everything twice either.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

johnc

Post by johnc »

biolizard89 you are right but i'm too lazy to make my own builds otherwise... So if you are so kind as to build and post unnoficial windows binaries, that would be great. I trust you.

And yes, releasing the changes one by one would be ideal. You just need to tell everyone to upgrade each time.

Obviously, i don't know how to build with the patch so as i say before, if you upload some binaries with the path, that would be great, because i get errors.

Lastly, the bugs are pretty obvious, there is no code to gracefully handle, on the GUI interface, errors that happen when you release a name operation offline and you then backup the wallet and release the operation in another computer, then go back to the original wallet and the tx is stuck. (haven't tested again yet, it happened years ago, that's why it isn't on github )