nmcontrol on linux

Namecoin, NMControl
barkingdoggy

Re: nmcontrol on linux

Post by barkingdoggy »

I installed Opera, and I can get anywhere and everywhere (.bit and .com, .etc) using that browser and nmcontrol. I uninstalled Firefox and Chromium, rebooted and reinstalled both browsers. No change; still can get to some but not to lots of other URIs.

Opera works with nmcontrol, Firefox and Chromium are broken.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

barkingdoggy wrote:I installed Opera, and I can get anywhere and everywhere (.bit and .com, .etc) using that browser and nmcontrol. I uninstalled Firefox and Chromium, rebooted and reinstalled both browsers. No change; still can get to some but not to lots of other URIs.

I wonder if NMControl's DNS library only implements a subset of the DNS spec, and Firefox/Chromium are using features that NMControl can't handle. Many Google domains return too many IP's for a single UDP packet, so they end up using DNS over TCP. I have no idea if NMControl's DNS library (PyMDS/PyDNS) can handle DNS over TCP. That library sucks in many ways, so I would not be surprised if it doesn't handle it properly. @phelix, can you check on this?

@barkingdoggy, if you like, you can try to use Unbound+ncdns instead of using NMControl. ncdns is authoritative rather than recursive, so requests to non-.bit domains will be handled by Unbound, which I am certain can handle DNS over TCP. (Let me know if you need instructions for this.) I can't guarantee that this will fix the problem you're having, but more data points are always good to have.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

barkingdoggy

Post by barkingdoggy »

Happy to provide data points. Instructions please.

Also, I'm interested to try installing a .bit dns service on a Windows Server 2012 domain controller, integrating it with the Server's Active Directory/DNS. A new thread?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

barkingdoggy wrote:Happy to provide data points. Instructions please.

Also, I'm interested to try installing a .bit dns service on a Windows Server 2012 domain controller, integrating it with the Server's Active Directory/DNS. A new thread?
Indeed -- ncdns is a little bit off topic for this thread. Can you make a new thread, asking for assistance setting up ncdns? Hugo and I will be able to help you with it.

Cheers.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

hla

Post by hla »

I've made a thread for ncdns. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2454

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:
barkingdoggy wrote:I installed Opera, and I can get anywhere and everywhere (.bit and .com, .etc) using that browser and nmcontrol. I uninstalled Firefox and Chromium, rebooted and reinstalled both browsers. No change; still can get to some but not to lots of other URIs.

I wonder if NMControl's DNS library only implements a subset of the DNS spec, and Firefox/Chromium are using features that NMControl can't handle. Many Google domains return too many IP's for a single UDP packet, so they end up using DNS over TCP. I have no idea if NMControl's DNS library (PyMDS/PyDNS) can handle DNS over TCP. That library sucks in many ways, so I would not be surprised if it doesn't handle it properly. @phelix, can you check on this?
Agreed, that library should go medium term. All I can say is that I have not yet managed to reproduce such problems.

As a workaround it would be nice to only resolve .bit domains via NMControl. @biolizard, any suggestions on how to do that on Linux?
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:

Agreed, that library should go medium term. All I can say is that I have not yet managed to reproduce such problems.

As a workaround it would be nice to only resolve .bit domains via NMControl. @biolizard, any suggestions on how to do that on Linux?
Might be possible by messing with the dnsmasq or Unbound config files. Although if one were going to do that, it becomes easier to use something that's actually designed for use with Unbound, e.g. ncdns. You could try the instructions for Unbound config in the ncdns readme and see if they work for NMControl. Note that the way NMControl works, if it has trouble with a given ICANN domain, it will likely also have trouble with a .bit domain that has an alias/translate for that ICANN domain, even if it's used in combination with Unbound.