Hardcoded seed nodes

Namecoin, NMControl
domob

Hardcoded seed nodes

Post by domob »

I thought there was already a topic somewhere, but did not find it - so opening a new one. Besides the DNS seeds (of which we now fortunately already have a few for Namecoin Core!), Bitcoin also has hardcoded seed nodes as final fallback. They are necessary for Tor-only clients, since DNS seeds don't work over Tor. (The alternative is manually using -addnode or -connect.)

I think that Bitcoin generates the list by querying a DNS seed, at least "mostly" (but I don't know the precise way). I don't really see a lot of harm a bad node on the list could do, besides what someone trying to Sybil-attack the network could do anyway; but maybe I'm missing something.

Nevertheless, I suggest the following:
  • I use the most stable nodes my seeder sees and add them as hardcoded IPv4 addresses.
  • In addition, I know two .onion addresses of nodes that can be added as well. One is run by myself and the other by someone who volunteered to do so a few months ago.
Are there any objections to doing so? If someone wants to run dedicated stable seed nodes either as hidden service or with a fixed IP address, feel free to mention that here or in a future Github pull request and I will add them as well.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

domob

Re: Hardcoded seed nodes

Post by domob »

BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY

cassini

Post by cassini »

There is a small inconsistency in nodes_main.txt:

Code: Select all

fp7k2dennh52dzql.onion
nww7uwo4diginmcm.onion:8443
I haven't analyzed generate-seeds.py but I suspect it assumes port 8333 for the line in nodes_main.txt that lacks a port value.

domob

Post by domob »

cassini wrote:
There is a small inconsistency in nodes_main.txt:

Code: Select all

fp7k2dennh52dzql.onion
nww7uwo4diginmcm.onion:8443
I haven't analyzed generate-seeds.py but I suspect it assumes port 8333 for the line in nodes_main.txt that lacks a port value.
It did before I patched it in the same pull request. ;) Not sure why the other .onion node is run on part 8443, but that's how it is. The one without port runs on the default port (operated by me), that's why I left it off. It should work as it is, but please test that if you can! :)