Namecoin, NMControl
biolizard89

Re: Porting v0.3.80 namecoin-qt "Manage Names" tab to nameco

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:
somename wrote:
phelix wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:
moa wrote:Is there any work on-going to achieve this?

I can help with building/testing/debugging and probably some juicy NMC bounty.
Hi moa,

Some people were wondering how much of a bounty you'd be willing to put up for this. Any chance you could specify this?

Thanks.
+1

Also I want to repeat here: The issue larger than the initial implementation is maintenance: keeping in sync with Bitcoin downstream. Without ensuring maintenance up front this will more or less immediately break.
Does that mean the bounty could be broken in several parts (say 50% when done, 25% after 6 months of maintenance, and 25% for the 2nd 6 months),
That would help but what would happen then?
or that you think that it's better to have a separate GUI (which sounds reasonable)?
The separate GUI has some disadvantages (mostly user experience) and some advantages. I just don't see how the alternative can work in the long run.
So, here's a question. How much funding does NMDF have, and do we have enough funds to cover occasional fixes by someone experienced in Qt, for whenever Bitcoin Core upstream breaks something of ours and Daniel doesn't have the ability/interest in fixing it? The 50%/25%/25% seems like a good idea (the numbers may need tweaking), and if NMDF could continue paying out the same amount per half year that it's maintained, that might be workable. Remember, there are a lot of activist types around the Bitcoin scene who will work for token pay if it fits their skill set and they think it's fun and/or useful. (E.g. the fact that I keep working on TLS despite using up the 0.5 BTC worth of my time many months ago.)

Not sure how good this idea is, but I figure it's worth suggesting. (I miss Mikhail....)
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

somename

Re: Porting v0.3.80 namecoin-qt "Manage Names" tab to nameco

Post by somename »

biolizard89 wrote:
moa wrote:Is there any work on-going to achieve this?

I can help with building/testing/debugging and probably some juicy NMC bounty.
Hi moa,

Some people were wondering how much of a bounty you'd be willing to put up for this. Any chance you could specify this?

Thanks.
No response so far.

What does "no response" mean?
Where is this bounty announced (if anywhere)?

It's not that sponsors are fighting for their place in line, but as long as the status of this bounty is unknown, it's relatively unlikely that anyone would try to work on this (not knowing whether it's available at all) and it's also unlikely that someone would try to create another bounty with the same content (as moa's bounty may already be reasonably high).