Importing a Wallet into a new instance of Namecoin-QT

Namecoin, NMControl
Pestilence76

Importing a Wallet into a new instance of Namecoin-QT

Post by Pestilence76 »

The PC that I currently have my Namecoin wallet on is slowly dyeing. I have the wallet backed up but cannot seem to figure out how to import back into the software on a different box. I know I'm missing something obvious. I feel like such a n00b.

biolizard89

Re: Importing a Wallet into a new instance of Namecoin-QT

Post by biolizard89 »

Pestilence76 wrote:The PC that I currently have my Namecoin wallet on is slowly dyeing. I have the wallet backed up but cannot seem to figure out how to import back into the software on a different box. I know I'm missing something obvious. I feel like such a n00b.
If you have a backup of the entire profile folder, you can copy that in (with Namecoin-Qt not running), and that should work. If you only have a wallet.dat backup, I *think* you can copy it into the profile folder of a fresh Namecoin-Qt install (again, with Namecoin-Qt not running, and then force Namecoin-Qt to rescan the blockchain by running Namecoin-Qt from the command line with the "-rescan" flag.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

domob

Post by domob »

biolizard89 wrote:If you have a backup of the entire profile folder, you can copy that in (with Namecoin-Qt not running), and that should work. If you only have a wallet.dat backup, I *think* you can copy it into the profile folder of a fresh Namecoin-Qt install (again, with Namecoin-Qt not running, and then force Namecoin-Qt to rescan the blockchain by running Namecoin-Qt from the command line with the "-rescan" flag.
Copying just the wallet.dat should be fine, you don't even have to rescan. It should just work as-is. Of course, if you don't already have the blockchain downloaded, you can consider to copy the full profile folder nevertheless. It will save you from downloading again.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

cassini

Post by cassini »

biolizard89 wrote:copy it into the profile folder of a fresh Namecoin-Qt install
Are you sure it is a Profiles folder? At the moment I haven't got access to a MS-Windows machine, but I faintly remember it was something like C:\users\YOURUSERNAME\appdata\roaming\namecoin\
:?:

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

cassini wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:copy it into the profile folder of a fresh Namecoin-Qt install
Are you sure it is a Profiles folder? At the moment I haven't got access to a MS-Windows machine, but I faintly remember it was something like C:\users\YOURUSERNAME\appdata\roaming\namecoin\
:?:
That's what I meant by profile folder. Is there some other profile folder that I should know about?
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5