Namecoin-Qt v0.3.76 crashes under OS X - iMac i5 mid 2010

Namecoin, NMControl
breathingdog

Namecoin-Qt v0.3.76 crashes under OS X - iMac i5 mid 2010

Post by breathingdog »

Hello,

This is my first post here, so hope I'm doing right. I present myself first of all. I'm keen on crypto, essentialy bitcoin, litecoin, darkcoin, dogecoin, and now I'm interested on namecoin because of its potential. As well as I see LTC or DOGE as entry points to BTC for some people, NMC is different because of it's very essence, serve as a name, domain, registration.

The problem is that I cannot run the Namecoin-Qt wallet. As soon as I try to run it, it crashes. Nothing less, nothing more.

My OS X is 10.9.5, CPU 3.6 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM. It's an iMac from mid-2010. Via Twitter, they have kindly said to me that's fairly strange so I wish I could help debugging :P

biolizard89

Re: Namecoin-Qt v0.3.76 crashes under OS X - iMac i5 mid 201

Post by biolizard89 »

breathingdog wrote:Hello,

This is my first post here, so hope I'm doing right. I present myself first of all. I'm keen on crypto, essentialy bitcoin, litecoin, darkcoin, dogecoin, and now I'm interested on namecoin because of its potential. As well as I see LTC or DOGE as entry points to BTC for some people, NMC is different because of it's very essence, serve as a name, domain, registration.

The problem is that I cannot run the Namecoin-Qt wallet. As soon as I try to run it, it crashes. Nothing less, nothing more.

My OS X is 10.9.5, CPU 3.6 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM. It's an iMac from mid-2010. Via Twitter, they have kindly said to me that's fairly strange so I wish I could help debugging :P
Thanks for posting; I've pinged cassini with a link to this thread, so hopefully he'll be able to help you out.

Cheers.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

cassini

Post by cassini »

breathingdog wrote:so I wish I could help debugging :P
Thanks a lot for the offer. We happen to be looking for testers who own Mac hardware with less commonly used CPUs. Your pre-2011 i5 is actually one of those. Meanwhile I've sent you a pm with instructions on downloading the 0.3.80 test build. This version solves a bug in 0.3.76 that affected several types of Intel CPUs.

By the way, if anybody else encounters Namecoin-Qt issues on OSX, please include the machdep.cpu info in your report. Open Terminal.app and enter

Code: Select all

sysctl machdep.cpu.brand_string
and

Code: Select all

sysctl machdep.cpu.features

breathingdog

Post by breathingdog »

Done! 0.3.80 running smoothly. Now synchronizing –it will take time, I'm in rural area and ADSL is slow.

I will run the app several time these days, if anything strange happens I'll notify you. If you need some extra info, tell me.

Thanks!

breathingdog

Post by breathingdog »

Hello cassini,

Answering here 'cause composing private messages is not authorized for me.
Has it already finished the synchronization phase?
No, I can only sync during the night, if not my ADSL is simply unusable during the day :? It's aproximately 60-70% synced. No apparent trouble though.
I'd like to have a look at the cpu.features of you iMac ( sysctl machdep.cpu.features from within Terminal.app ).
My CPU features:

machdep.cpu.features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR PAE MCE CX8 APIC SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT PSE36 CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 SS HTT TM PBE SSE3 PCLMULQDQ DTES64 MON DSCPL VMX SMX EST TM2 SSSE3 CX16 TPR PDCM SSE4.1 SSE4.2 POPCNT AES PCID

breathingdog

Post by breathingdog »

The Namecoin Qt is fuly synced now. Everything seems to run perfectly.

Only one report: two times I left the wallet syncing during the night, I found it crashed in the morning. Using the Free Memory App for OS X I checked that it was a problem of lack of RAM in the last part of the night. It has never happend before with any other wallet.

That said, it happened only two nights, but not the others it was syncing.

cassini

Post by cassini »

Thanks for the report. I'll try emulating a slow network, start 0.3.80 on an empty volume and see if this setup may cause a memory leak. With the transition to Namecoin Core this year I expect we'll get rid of all these old code's problems inherited from bitcoind 0.3, anyway.

breathingdog

Post by breathingdog »

Awesome. If I can be of any help please just tell.