DNS seeds for Namecore

Namecoin, NMControl
biolizard89

Re: DNS seeds for Namecore

Post by biolizard89 »

pmc wrote:I've never used Tor. I suppose it tunnels DNS queries, too? Can you check if this is a DNS problem, or a connection problem?
Tor usually only tunnels TCP. It's possible to tunnel UDP-based DNS through Tor, but it doesn't use the standard SOCKS interface. You either have to use a SOCKS command that isn't in the SOCKS spec, or enable a localhost DNS server in your Tor configuration. I'm not sure how Bitcoin handles this.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

cassini

Post by cassini »

/r/gwlloyd considering setting up another one.
Good idea? Or have we got a sufficient number of seeds already?

domob

Post by domob »

cassini wrote:/r/gwlloyd considering setting up another one.
Good idea? Or have we got a sufficient number of seeds already?
I'm only aware of a single one and none for testnet. (Others have promised to run one, but so far I've not gotten any to add to the code.) So seems like a good idea.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

phelix

Post by phelix »

At some point we will switch the API server node to Namecore. It could be a hard coded node.

Also we could set up DNS seeding on the server. Is it difficult to do?
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

pmc

Post by pmc »

phelix wrote:At some point we will switch the API server node to Namecore. It could be a hard coded node.

Also we could set up DNS seeding on the server. Is it difficult to do?
Compile and run namecoin-seeder. That's it, basically.
If you have a regular DNS server on the same machine you'll need some additional scripting to publish the seeder data through the regular server.

mhanne

Post by mhanne »

Hello,

I set up a dns seeds for namecoin and its testnet on webbtc.com:

Code: Select all

dnsseed.namecoin.webbtc.com
dnsseed.test.namecoin.webbtc.com
The code is at http://github.com/mhanne/bitcoin-ruby-dnsseed, if anyone is interested.

It's returning a random sample of addresses seen by the node, weighted by time last seen. It's not perfect but seems to always contain at least a few good addresses.

Hope that helps.

Marius

PS: the testnet seems to be pretty dead right now... It just got another block - after two weeks... Are there any plans to revive it? Will the difficulty reset once enough miners use namecore and with it bitcoins testnet behaviour?

domob

Post by domob »

Thanks for the seed! Feel free to open an issue on Github (so I don't forget) about adding the seeds to the code.
mhanne wrote:PS: the testnet seems to be pretty dead right now... It just got another block - after two weeks... Are there any plans to revive it? Will the difficulty reset once enough miners use namecore and with it bitcoins testnet behaviour?
I run two testnet nodes on VPSes, but yes, there seem to be no blocks lately. However, that shouldn't be an issue - you can solo-mine whenever you need it (and not having someone mine "just because" keeps the chain smaller). Testnet has the same rule as Bitcoin - if there has not been any block in the last 20 minutes, you can mine one with minimum difficulty. So there should not be an issue with the large difficulty.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY

mhanne

Post by mhanne »

domob wrote:Thanks for the seed! Feel free to open an issue on Github (so I don't forget) about adding the seeds to the code.
Done https://github.com/namecoin/namecore/pull/13
domob wrote:I run two testnet nodes on VPSes, but yes, there seem to be no blocks lately. However, that shouldn't be an issue - you can solo-mine whenever you need it (and not having someone mine "just because" keeps the chain smaller). Testnet has the same rule as Bitcoin - if there has not been any block in the last 20 minutes, you can mine one with minimum difficulty. So there should not be an issue with the large difficulty.
Oh, that makes sense, if just nobody is using it... :)

I think it might be worth keeping the testnet going forward at least at a slow pace. I mined a few blocks now, but will need to wait days until the generation transactions mature and I can spend them. Also the testnet should be available for regular users who don't know how to mine - ideally every service should offer a testnet version that can be used by anybody...

I'll keep a puny little CPU miner running on it for a while, that should get a few blocks per day.

domob

Post by domob »

mhanne wrote:I'll keep a puny little CPU miner running on it for a while, that should get a few blocks per day.
Sounds good. I did that some time ago as well (with a cronjob to start it just for a few minutes every hour). But if you can, I think you could try to restrict the number of blocks generated to really just a few per day - the smaller the blockchain, the better. (Unless you need more blocks for some purpose, of course - in that case just do whatever you need, as that's the purpose of testnet.)

cassini

Post by cassini »

First the good news: Marius' dnsseed works perfectly. dig currently gives me a list of 17 IPs, and most of them are existing Namecoin nodes (the other ones probably just disconnected recently).

Now the bad news: the first entry I get, 144.76.183.77 (i.e. webbtc.com:8334), is the only one that does not cooperate with NamecoinCore. (No problems when connecting 144.76.183.77 with my 0.3.80 client or older.)
After starting NamecoinCore with -connect=144.76.183.77
my debug.log says:

Code: Select all

net thread start
addcon thread start
opencon thread start
msghand thread start
receive version message: /bitcoinruby:0.0.6/: version 70001, blocks=236739, us=144.76.183.77:8334, peer=1
Added time data, samples 2, offset +0 (+0 minutes)
and it stops here. My client still responds to RPCs. It seems NamecoinCore doesn't like the version message. Or, it stops because the transmitter's IP and the recipient's IP fields in the version message are swapped: "us=..." should contain my own IP.