Officially releasing Namecore

Namecoin, NMControl
domob

Re: Officially releasing Namecore

Post by domob »

After a final rebase today, I've now pushed new branches "auxpow" and "namecore" to namecoin/namecoin. From now on, I will do merges instead of rebases. @Jeremy (and others): Feel free to enable Travis-CI and whatever else special tools we have for the new branches (if that's even necessary).

Note that I've taken care to separate the "auxpow-only" stuff from the "name" stuff. I think this makes sense, and the "auxpow" branch could be the basis of a common code-base for other merge-mined coins as well. If you have changes that are not related to Namecoin itself but to auxpow (you probably don't), please submit them via auxpow and merge auxpow back to namecore. The same is true for merging upstream Bitcoin changes.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

domob wrote:After a final rebase today, I've now pushed new branches "auxpow" and "namecore" to namecoin/namecoin. From now on, I will do merges instead of rebases. @Jeremy (and others): Feel free to enable Travis-CI and whatever else special tools we have for the new branches (if that's even necessary).

Note that I've taken care to separate the "auxpow-only" stuff from the "name" stuff. I think this makes sense, and the "auxpow" branch could be the basis of a common code-base for other merge-mined coins as well. If you have changes that are not related to Namecoin itself but to auxpow (you probably don't), please submit them via auxpow and merge auxpow back to namecore. The same is true for merging upstream Bitcoin changes.
I don't have the GitHub permissions to enable Travis CI for namecoin/namecoin; only admins on a repo can do so. @Daniel you can do it I think; just go to Travis CI's website, log in, and enable the namecoin/namecoin repo (it will show all the organizations that you belong to, including namecoin).
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

domob

Post by domob »

biolizard89 wrote:
domob wrote:After a final rebase today, I've now pushed new branches "auxpow" and "namecore" to namecoin/namecoin. From now on, I will do merges instead of rebases. @Jeremy (and others): Feel free to enable Travis-CI and whatever else special tools we have for the new branches (if that's even necessary).

I don't have the GitHub permissions to enable Travis CI for namecoin/namecoin; only admins on a repo can do so. @Daniel you can do it I think; just go to Travis CI's website, log in, and enable the namecoin/namecoin repo (it will show all the organizations that you belong to, including namecoin).
Done. It should now build all pushes and pull requests to the new branches of namecoin/namecoin.
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

domob wrote:
biolizard89 wrote:

Done. It should now build all pushes and pull requests to the new branches of namecoin/namecoin.
Thanks Daniel. For those interested, the build results will be at https://travis-ci.org/namecoin/namecoin , although no builds have occurred yet (because no pushes or pull requests have been issued).

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

phelix

Post by phelix »

I wonder why Namecore was made a branch into namecoin/namecoin.... IMHO it would be better to keep it in a separate repo. It took the github guys a while to separate the Namecoin repo from Bitcoin, now it is all entangled again, isn't it?
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

domob

Post by domob »

phelix wrote:I wonder why Namecore was made a branch into namecoin/namecoin.... IMHO it would be better to keep it in a separate repo. It took the github guys a while to separate the Namecoin repo from Bitcoin, now it is all entangled again, isn't it?
It was done on request of others. Feel free to fork domob1812/namecore instead. I also think that's a better idea (since the new branch doesn't have much in common with the other branches, except for very old Bitcoin commits), but I have no strong opinion. That's why I followed the request to make it a branch instead.

phelix

Post by phelix »

domob wrote:
phelix wrote:I wonder why Namecore was made a branch into namecoin/namecoin.... IMHO it would be better to keep it in a separate repo. It took the github guys a while to separate the Namecoin repo from Bitcoin, now it is all entangled again, isn't it?
It was done on request of others. Feel free to fork domob1812/namecore instead. I also think that's a better idea (since the new branch doesn't have much in common with the other branches, except for very old Bitcoin commits), but I have no strong opinion. That's why I followed the request to make it a branch instead.
done: https://github.com/namecoin/namecore

Anyone strong objections?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

phelix wrote:
domob wrote:

No objection to a separate repo, but if it will be a separate repo, I would prefer that it be named something other than namecore, for the same reason that we stopped using that name for the title of the software itself. Is namecoin-core too long for a repo name? Any other ideas?

jonasbits

Post by jonasbits »

Is there any nodes for testnet that I can connect to with the namecoin-core client, i tried nmctest.net, no luck.
My Namecoin address: NC3HGHk527xuWZBgMdGJ2GxjpRSw8D4oA6

phelix

Post by phelix »

biolizard89 wrote:
phelix wrote:
domob wrote:

No objection to a separate repo, but if it will be a separate repo, I would prefer that it be named something other than namecore, for the same reason that we stopped using that name for the title of the software itself. Is namecoin-core too long for a repo name? Any other ideas?
Sorry, I had missed the discussion above in this thread. What is the issue with "namecore"? "namecoin-core" is too long imho. "namecoinc", "namecoinr", "namecoinb"... hmmm... domob?