Officially releasing Namecore

Namecoin, NMControl
domob

Officially releasing Namecore

Post by domob »

With recent changes, Namecore now fully passes Bitcoin's Travis CI checks (including a cross-mac and two MinGW Windows builds). I suggest that we "officially" release a test version of Namecore now. In particular, I think that we should fork domob1812/namecore to a namecoin/ repository, as well as creating testing builds to download for interested users. For further development and pushing to this official repository, I suggest the following rules:
  • Merges of upstream Bitcoin patches can be pushed to the (non release) branch without ACKs by me or any other developer with write access.
  • Small fixes that do not alter functionality or consensus rules can be pushed by me without ACKs.
  • Everything else will be done via pull requests as for namecoin/namecoin.
Is this ok?
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY
BM-GtQnWM3vcdorfqpKXsmfHQ4rVYPG5pKS
Use your Namecoin identity as OpenID: https://nameid.org/

phelix

Re: Officially releasing Namecore

Post by phelix »

domob wrote:With recent changes, Namecore now fully passes Bitcoin's Travis CI checks (including a cross-mac and two MinGW Windows builds). I suggest that we "officially" release a test version of Namecore now. In particular, I think that we should fork domob1812/namecore to a namecoin/ repository, as well as creating testing builds to download for interested users. For further development and pushing to this official repository, I suggest the following rules:
  • Merges of upstream Bitcoin patches can be pushed to the (non release) branch without ACKs by me or any other developer with write access.
  • Small fixes that do not alter functionality or consensus rules can be pushed by me without ACKs.
  • Everything else will be done via pull requests as for namecoin/namecoin.
Is this ok?
ACK
nx.bit - some namecoin stats
nf.bit - shortcut to this forum

ryanc

Post by ryanc »

Can we label it as an "alpha" build and instruct people to back up their wallets before trying it?

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

ryanc wrote:Can we label it as an "alpha" build and instruct people to back up their wallets before trying it?
This.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

domob

Post by domob »

ryanc wrote:Can we label it as an "alpha" build and instruct people to back up their wallets before trying it?
Of course, that's what I meant with "experimental".
BTC: 1domobKsPZ5cWk2kXssD8p8ES1qffGUCm | NMC: NCdomobcmcmVdxC5yxMitojQ4tvAtv99pY

domob

Post by domob »

Since there seem to be no objections, I'll fork domob1812/namecore to namecoin/namecore when I come around to it. I'll not be releasing any downloads at all, so anyone who checks out the code and builds probably already knows what they are doing. But if someone wants to provide builds, I agree that those should be labeled as "experimental".

Jeremy suggested to not use "namecore" as the name. The application itself is not really strongly branded anyway, so this is not strictly a code thing but more about marketing. I'm fine with calling it "Namecoin Core". Should the Github repo also be called "namecoin/namecoin-core" instead? But that sounds a bit unwiedly.

indolering

Post by indolering »

Why don't we just create a branch on github.com/namecoin/namecoin? We will eventually be deprecating the old codebase anyway, why bother creating a whole new repo?
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.

domob

Post by domob »

indolering wrote:Why don't we just create a branch on github.com/namecoin/namecoin? We will eventually be deprecating the old codebase anyway, why bother creating a whole new repo?
We could do that as well. Since the code is very different, I was thinking about a new repo. I see branches more like "similar but with slight differences". But if others are in favour of using the old repo, I can just push my code to a branch on namecoin/namecoin.

biolizard89

Post by biolizard89 »

domob wrote:
indolering wrote:Why don't we just create a branch on github.com/namecoin/namecoin? We will eventually be deprecating the old codebase anyway, why bother creating a whole new repo?
We could do that as well. Since the code is very different, I was thinking about a new repo. I see branches more like "similar but with slight differences". But if others are in favour of using the old repo, I can just push my code to a branch on namecoin/namecoin.
I think a branch on namecoin/namecoin would make sense.
Jeremy Rand, Lead Namecoin Application Engineer
NameID: id/jeremy
DyName: Dynamic DNS update client for .bit domains.

Donations: BTC 1EcUWRa9H6ZuWPkF3BDj6k4k1vCgv41ab8 ; NMC NFqbaS7ReiQ9MBmsowwcDSmp4iDznjmEh5

indolering

Post by indolering »

Yeah, a whole new branch would be confusing. We will have to basically hang a big DEPRECATED sign there anyway. Just create a new branch, then switch it over to the default branch when it's ready.
DNS is much more than a key->value datastore.